This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is spanking kids a sin?

Is spanking kids a sin according to the bible?

Re: Is spanking kids a sin?

Many would appeal to a passage such as this to say the Bible supports spanking . . .

Proverbs 23:13–14 (NIV)

13*Do not withhold discipline from a child;
    if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.
    14*Punish them with the rod
    and save them from death.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustGzus View Post
      Many would appeal to a passage such as this to say the Bible supports spanking . . .
      What about Proverbs 26:3?

"A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the backs of fools!"

Is it a sin to whip the backs of fools and whip kids too?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Class Begger View Post
        What about Proverbs 26:3?

"A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the backs of fools!"

Is it a sin to whip the backs of fools and whip kids too?
        Usually, if you don't spank them as little kids, they grow up to be fools making the rest of us wish you had spanked them as little kids.

Comment

A parent who will not chastise a child does not love that child. If you love your child and do not want the child to stray from what is right, then offer whatever correction will take effect:

Hebrews 12:11 ESV

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it

Proverbs 23:13-15 ESV

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol. My son, if your heart is wise, my heart too will be glad.
          Revelation 3:19 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.
          Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
          George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

Proverbs 13:24 ESV - Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

I would say a lack of discipline when discipline is needed is sin.
            Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              A parent who will not chastise a child does not love that child. If you love your child and do not want the child to stray from what is right, then offer whatever correction will take effect:

Hebrews 12:11 ESV

Proverbs 23:13-15 ESV

Revelation 3:19 ESV / 4 helpful votes
              Hebrews 12 is about giving encouragement to believers. Nowhere in this chapter is a command given to parents to spank their kids.

Where in Revelation 3 does it tell parents to spank their kids?

Also, nobody has answered my question about Proverbs 26:3

If we can use proverbs to justify whipping kids, can we use proverbs to justify whipping fools too?

I'm not saying we shouldn't ever disciple kids, I'm talking about physical spanking discipline. Kids should definitely be told NO and should be told what is right or wrong.

Comment

I think a verse like Proverbs 26:3 isn't meant for us to apply on an individual level. I can't just take a person I consider a "fool" and whip him with a rod. I think the idea may have been more for a government after giving a person a fair trial to use a method such as that for punishment.

I think EarlyCall's comment is a fair comment. I was spanked. Friends of mine that were spanked have generally speaking turned out to be responsible adults. Some of my friends were never spanked. Every single one of those friends got involved with drugs. One of them became a dealer and has been running state to state to avoid police. Now in saying that, I'm not saying either is universally granted. A spanked child could still end up rebellious. A kid who isn't spanked might have a good God-given conscience and stay out of trouble.

However, I think a general pattern can be spotted.

I don't know what a person who thinks spanking is wrong would do with multiple verses in Proverbs that speak of applying the rod to a misbehaving child. It's pretty arrogant for anyone to say they know better than Solomon. Looking at culture, comparing the kids of the 70's when I was growing up to what I see with my kids in schools today, no comparison. My generation was much more well behaved. But generally speaking, our parents stayed together. Our parents disciplined. Our parents were allowed to correct each other's kids if they saw someone else's child misbehaving. You could be guaranteed they would talk to your parents and then you'd get more discipline at home. Teachers could discipline more easily. My kids teachers are hesitant it seems to discipline.

My kid got in a scuffle at school. For added info, my kid was the victim and responded in kind. He said he retaliated because the school does nothing to protect him. The school handbook said an out of school suspension was warranted. The principal let them both off as a "learning experience." My kid has been bullied for years because of the school's lameness in dishing out punishment. My wife and I went into the office and told the principal he has the handbook to back him up --- use it! Both kids got an out of school suspension. Any homework they had could be made up. Any tests that day were a 0% and could not be made up.

We told the principle in this "zero tolerance" towards bullying atmosphere they have, since he doesn't discipline, our kid has been bullied for years. He's got the handbook that authorizes punishment. Use it so our kid doesn't have to retaliate like he did because our school isn't disciplining the bullies.

That example has nothing to do with spanking directly, but I wouldn't be surprised if these kids weren't spanked when younger. Our kids were spanked and every single teacher has told us how well behaved our kids are and how much they appreciate them being in their classes. I'm glad my mom spanked me. I didn't appreciate it at the time. I greatly appreciate it now. It created a healthy fear in me that kept me out of a lot of trouble that many of my friends got into.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

I think a verse like Proverbs 26:3 isn't meant for us to apply on an individual level. I can't just take a person I consider a "fool" and whip him with a rod. I think the idea may have been more for a government after giving a person a fair trial to use a method such as that for punishment.

I don't think Proverbs 26:3 is for a government only, because he doesn't just talk about whipping fools if you look at the beginning.

"A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey..."

If Proverbs 26:3 was for people of the government only, then he would be saying whipping a horse and a bridle for the donkey would also be for people of the government as well.

I don't know what a person who thinks spanking is wrong would do with multiple verses in Proverbs that speak of applying the rod to a misbehaving child. It's pretty arrogant for anyone to say they know better than Solomon.
                  Jesus never hit anyone and was against using violence. Did Solomon know better than Jesus?

Comment

Jesus never hit anyone and was against using violence. Did Solomon know better than Jesus?
                    I see there are parts of the New Testament that you either haven’t read or don’t understand.

Yes, Jesus told us to love our neighbor in the same way that we love ourselves and that we should not murder in his quoting the Ten Commandments.

He also said that we were to “turn the other cheek” figuratively speaking in his Sermon on the Mount when trying to undo the religious leaders’ erroneous teaching that revenge and retribution were tolerated by God. And yes, Jesus told us that the peacemakers of the world would be blessed.

But Jesus also made a whip out of cords and cleared everyone and everything out of the Temple when people defiled it. He turned over tables in a righteous rage and justifiably so. And He is coming back as a warrior and it will be violent. Jesus wanted people to live in peace with one another, but knew that His coming would cause divisions - some people choosing Him and others choosing evil.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.

You spoke of hitting people. Striking people out of hatred is a sin.

Spanking your child on the rear out of love to correct his/her behavior or protect them from themselves is NOT a sin. It’s two different things. I was spanked as a child and I have spanked as an adult. It’s done in peace and is not a beating. It’s with the palm of my hand on the back of the legs or britches bottom.

Discipline primary includes setting the boundaries and making sure children understand and accept those boundaries. Discipline also includes correction when those boundaries are wantonly overstepped.

If a small child accidentally knocked his glass over and spilled the contents everywhere, that calls for having him or her assist you in cleaning (learning how) and telling him/her it’s ok, but to be careful with a glass.

If the same small child throws his/her glass at someone or on the floor in a tantrum, that calls for a spanking AND the cleaning.
                    sigpic
                    ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post
                      But Jesus also made a whip out of cords and cleared everyone and everything out of the Temple when people defiled it. He turned over tables in a righteous rage and justifiably so. And He is coming back as a warrior and it will be violent. Jesus wanted people to live in peace with one another, but knew that His coming would cause divisions - some people choosing Him and others choosing evil.
                      I thought that Jesus made a whip to drive the animals out because it would be hard to do it by hand. Why would he hit the people with the whip when he's against physically hurting people?

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.

You spoke of hitting people. Striking people out of hatred is a sin.
                      Do you think that Jesus was literally carrying around a sword?

Jesus is not talking about a family physically hitting each other there. He's saying that we should love God more than our family.

Spanking your child on the rear out of love to correct his/her behavior or protect them from themselves is NOT a sin. Itís two different things. I was spanked as a child and I have spanked as an adult. Itís done in peace and is not a beating. Itís with the palm of my hand on the back of the legs or britches bottom.
                      You guys keep saying this like it's impossible to raise a kid without spanking him, and you are not giving solid scripture to support spanking.

Comment

I thought that Jesus made a whip to drive the animals out because it would be hard to do it by hand. Why would he hit the people with the whip when he's against physically hurting people?
                        Where does it say that Jesus would not physically harm anyone if needs be?

Do you think that Jesus was literally carrying around a sword?

Jesus is not talking about a family physically hitting each other there. He's saying that we should love God more than our family.
                        The divisions caused by family members at war with each other over believing or not believing Christ are more painful than a sword. That's why he used the violent metaphor.

You guys keep saying this like it's impossible to raise a kid without spanking him, and you are not giving solid scripture to support spanking.
                        I never said it was impossible.

Yes, I spank and will in the future if a serious needs requires it. There are TONS of things we do for, with, and because of our children that the Bible NEVER mentions. Are you saying that you are opposed to spanking because the Bible doesn't mention it?
                        sigpic
                        ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Where does it say that Jesus would not physically harm anyone if needs be?
                          Matthew 26:52 Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

John 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

The bible says that we should follow Jesus example, and if Jesus didn't try to hurt the people that were going to physically harm him, why should we?

The divisions caused by family members at war with each other over believing or not believing Christ are more painful than a sword. That's why he used the violent metaphor.
                          But where does Jesus give the ok for hitting people?

I never said it was impossible.

Yes, I spank and will in the future if a serious needs requires it. There are TONS of things we do for, with, and because of our children that the Bible NEVER mentions. Are you saying that you are opposed to spanking because the Bible doesn't mention it?
                          I'm opposed to spanking because I don't have clear scripture that tells me that it's right to spank. If I'm following Jesus example, who never hit anyone, why should I spank my child?

Comment

Matthew 26:52 Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

John 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

The bible says that we should follow Jesus example, and if Jesus didn't try to hurt the people that were going to physically harm him, why should we?

But where does Jesus give the ok for hitting people?

I'm opposed to spanking because I don't have clear scripture that tells me that it's right to spank. If I'm following Jesus example, who never hit anyone, why should I spank my child?

You are rolling hate, hitting, beating, abusing, spanking, and discipline all into one package. You are equating spanking with evil violence. And if that's your conviction, then live it - don't ever spank. None of here are going to change your mind.

It isn't my conviction nor belief that spanking is the same thing as hitting and person in rage and anger.

When Jesus ask Peter to put away his sword, he said that people who lived like that - lived - would perish that way. He wasn't trying to avoid being struck with a sword. For pity's sake, he was on his way to be being murdered and beaten unmercifully.

When he walked through the crowd, he was avoiding being killed .... it wasn't his time. Those two passage have NO bearing on the anti-spanking campaign. And it doesn't make Jesus a pacifist.

Live your life and raise your child as you see fit. But the rest who occasionally incorporate spanking are not abusing our children nor living in opposition to who Jesus was.
                            sigpic
                            ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

You are rolling hate, hitting, beating, abusing, spanking, and discipline all into one package. You are equating spanking with evil violence. And if that's your conviction, then live it - don't ever spank. None of here are going to change your mind.
                              All I'm asking is for someone to give me concrete scripture that says it's right to spank. If that happens, it can change my mind.

It isn't my conviction nor belief that spanking is the same thing as hitting and person in rage and anger.

When Jesus ask Peter to put away his sword, he said that people who lived like that - lived - would perish that way. He wasn't trying to avoid being struck with a sword. For pity's sake, he was on his way to be being murdered and beaten unmercifully.

When he walked through the crowd, he was avoiding being killed .... it wasn't his time. Those two passage have NO bearing on the anti-spanking campaign. And it doesn't make Jesus a pacifist.
                              It does have bearing because it shows that Jesus didn't physically harm anyone even when people were about to harm him or even if they did harm him. I just don't picture Jesus going around hitting people before his death and resurrection.

Live your life and raise your child as you see fit. But the rest who occasionally incorporate spanking are not abusing our children nor living in opposition to who Jesus was.
                              Why doesn't anyone give me solid scripture that supports spanking? Also, why do people bring up Solomon's Proverbs even when they contradict Jesus teachings, as if we should follow Solomon over Jesus?

Comment

Working...
                              X