Mark 14:51-52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Mark 14:51-52

Who was this young man that was following Christ?

Re: Mark 14:51-52

Some Bible commentators believe it is John Mark himself, the writer of this Gospel! Truth be told, we just do not know. The Holy Spirit has chosen to leave him nameless. But still, this event is recorded for a reason, a good one since it’s in the Word of God!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson View Post
      Some Bible commentators believe it is John Mark himself, the writer of this Gospel! Truth be told, we just do not know. The Holy Spirit has chosen to leave him nameless. But still, this event is recorded for a reason, a good one since it’s in the Word of God!
      I have heard that too. None of the Gosple writers refer to themselves by name. But why was he only wearing a linin shirt?

Comment

Not too sure. I have also been that it was night so that would explain why he was in his pajamas, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

There are not enough details to even assume it is John Mark; nothing in the text can possibly lead us to this conclusion. But there are a couple of unusual details regarding this person...

He is called νεανισκος (young man). Mark only uses this word here, and in Mark 16.5, for the 'young man' who appears at Jesus' tomb.

He is wearing a σινδονα (fine linen). Mark only uses this word here, and in Mark 15.46, for the 'linen shroud' Jesus is wrapped in when he is placed in the tomb.

The two unique features Mark assigns to this person -- that he is a young man, and that he was wearing fine linen -- are both associated with Jesus' burial and subsequent resurrection. The 'young man' in Mark's account of the empty tomb is usually assumed to be an angel. It is possible he should instead be understood as a reversal of the 'young man' from the garden. He was the last to run away from Jesus, shamed in his nakedness. He is the first to witness the risen Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by exitludos View Post
            There are not enough details to even assume it is John Mark; nothing in the text can possibly lead us to this conclusion. But there are a couple of unusual details regarding this person...

He is called νεανισκος (young man). Mark only uses this word here, and in Mark 16.5, for the 'young man' who appears at Jesus' tomb.

He is wearing a σινδονα (fine linen). Mark only uses this word here, and in Mark 15.46, for the 'linen shroud' Jesus is wrapped in when he is placed in the tomb.

The two unique features Mark assigns to this person -- that he is a young man, and that he was wearing fine linen -- are both associated with Jesus' burial and subsequent resurrection. The 'young man' in Mark's account of the empty tomb is usually assumed to be an angel. It is possible he should instead be understood as a reversal of the 'young man' from the garden. He was the last to run away from Jesus, shamed in his nakedness. He is the first to witness the risen Lord.
            You make some of the same points I was going to make.

Some believe (and I tend to agree that it's quite possible) that it was Lazarus. Having been recently raised from the dead (not to mention the way "Jesus loved... Lazarus" John 11:3, 5, 36), he likely would have had a kind of boldness no others would have yet possessed (the last to run away, and only because of nakedness)... and may also explain the grave clothes. But I agree with the others, that the text does not name the young man, so this is just speculation. But I am not alone in this guess.

Comment

It was Mark. If the mob under Judas’s guidance had first gone to Mark’s mother’s house in search of Jesus—possibly where the last Passover was observed by Jesus and the Twelve—Mark would have heard the noise, suspected what was happening, and hurried to follow the multitude. He was wearing either a loose-fitting linen sleeping garment or a sheet Mark had hastily wrapped around himself after being roused from bed. Mark ran away naked and escaped capture, but in doing so his covering came off or was pulled off, and he left with nothing at all on, or nothing more than undergarments - hence naked or "in the buck".
              I know what I know
              I know what I don't know
              I don't know what I don't know.

Comment

Do you have anything outside of your imagination to support that?

Comment

Originally posted by exitludos View Post

I always took the second young man (the one at the tomb) to be an angel.

Comment

I presume it is, as well. But the author's choice to use two specific words for to specific events -- the youth running away, and the burial & resurrection of Jesus -- is hard to overlook.

Comment

Working...
                    X