The biblical view on social drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The biblical view on social drinking

In some passages drinking wine is almost advocated. At the very least, social drinking isn't viewed as sin yet there are so many people that believe drinking is sin. It's not and I have no idea where they get this idea. I understand that you should't drink while you're with someone that may have had or still does have a drinking problem but complete abstinence? What is everyone's take on this? Is drinking wine biblically advocated for those who don't have a problem with alcohol? Didn't Paul tell Timothy to drink wine for his stomach issues?
    I know what I know
    I know what I don't know
    I don't know what I don't know.

Re: The biblical view on social drinking

It comes from nowhere. The closest thing there is is the verse in Ephesians which states that getting drunk leads to debauchery and it is an unwise thing to do.

There is the obvious example of Jesus' first miracle. Some will explain it away, saying that it was grape juice, but this isn't even worth taking seriously. They were at a wedding celebration. They ran out of the wine. Jesus made more. They weren't just drinking for stomach issues.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by adampjr View Post
      It comes from nowhere. The closest thing there is is the verse in Ephesians which states that getting drunk leads to debauchery and it is an unwise thing to do.

There is the obvious example of Jesus' first miracle. Some will explain it away, saying that it was grape juice, but this isn't even worth taking seriously. They were at a wedding celebration. They ran out of the wine. Jesus made more. They weren't just drinking for stomach issues.
      Totally agree. It is impossible to keep grape juice without it fermenting into wine of its own accord anyway in that temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        In some passages drinking wine is almost advocated. At the very least, social drinking isn't viewed as sin yet there are so many people that believe drinking is sin. It's not and I have no idea where they get this idea. I understand that you should't drink while you're with someone that may have had or still does have a drinking problem but complete abstinence? What is everyone's take on this? Is drinking wine biblically advocated for those who don't have a problem with alcohol? Didn't Paul tell Timothy to drink wine for his stomach issues?
        Agreed, those that teach the wine was un-fermented are either not familiar with the culture of that day or the language, or both. It is very clear that drinking alcohol is NOT the issue some make it out to be. Drunkenness is the issue. Why would a deacon not be given to much wine (or an aged woman in Titus) if you can't even drink it? And if that is speaking of grape juice, why can't a deacon have much grape juice? The idea is to be sober, not lose your senses, so a glass of wine or a beer, unless it will cause others to stumble, is not an issue.

And I am not just trying to support something I do by the way, I rarely have a drink of any kind.

Comment

Paul said to not get drunk on strong drink. If we reason this statement through logically, we can come to a good understanding of the answer.

Words spoken by Paul were not words that simply rolled off his tongue but rather deliberate and intentional. Paul could have easily said not to drink strong drink, but instead he said not to get drunk on strong drink.

Now some people want and do try to claim that the wine they drank back then was really just grape juice. Nonsense. Were that so, Paul would have been utterly silly to tell people not to get drunk by drinking something which could not possibly make someone drunk.

Paul tells us not to get drunk but he does not tell us not to drink strong drink. Strong drink here is obviously that which can make one drunk, and that is not grape juice.

Comment

All of this is no different than the other "rules" that man has made to tell us "how to be a Christian."

I guess that is the short way to make people look like something that you don't want to take the time to help them become.
            Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
            George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

I totally agree. I have noticed that the message concerning drinking in the New Testament is about moderation. In reality, I have noticed that life teaches the very same lesson. If a person eats too many vitamins in one shot, they kill their liver and their lives are forfeit at that point. Too much of anything is bad. Spend too much time with the Mrs., an argument is bound to ensue. Spend too much time watching tv or playing video games? Eye sight, visual instincts and obesity will become that person's issue. If you drink too much, the same effect as taking too many vitamins.

Comment

Where in Scripture does it say you shouldn't drink around someone with a drinking problem? Here is what the Bible actually says:

It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. (Romans 14:21 NKJV)
                Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Were they not drinking wine at the Last Supper?

I never was taught that drinking was a sin, but getting drunk was the sin

Comment

The stuff we have today is much stronger than what they had back then, TMU. I don't drink anyway but something I observed.
                    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
                    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

I don't think that the act of drinking alcohol is a sin. However, I don't drink. Mainly because I want to set an example for my children. But, since all have agreed that getting drunk is a sin, how many of you who drink have done so and never got intoxicated?
                      Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by Bnjmn View Post
                        Were they not drinking wine at the Last Supper?
                        The bible doesn't say. It could have been. Or it may have been pure grape juice.

Comment

Originally posted by nzyr View Post
                          The bible doesn't say. It could have been. Or it may have been pure grape juice.
                          That ia a good point

Comment

Strong drink is advocated on Sukkot. By God.
                            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
                              Where in Scripture does it say you shouldn't drink around someone with a drinking problem? Here is what the Bible actually says:

It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. (Romans 14:21 NKJV)
                              While I can't say with 100% certainty that I have a full grasp as to what that verse is saying, do you really feel that that verse justifies someone drinking around someone with a drinking problem? Personally I would think it's pretty good advice, if one only drank socially or maybe during a meal, but not to get intoxicated, that they would refrain from doing this around someone they know has a severe drinking problem. It seems like the person doing this, though they themselves may not be doing it to get intoxicated, that they would be sending a mixed message that drinking is ok, since they themselves drink, even though moderately.

Comment

Working...
                              X