Fairness - I guess we shouldn't expect fairness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairness - I guess we shouldn't expect fairness

If we got what we deserved we'd all be externally separated from God. That aside, this brings to mind the Parable of Talents. Is it fair for the one that doubled the 10 talents to get the extra one the sluggard was too afraid to invest? Why him and not the one who doubled the 5 talents? Seems to me God rewards people that lay it all on the line and go BIG while relying on Him to deliver. This concept applied to a career or making money can be very rewarding, financially. I believe God wants us to take BIG risks and rely on Him to deliver the results.

The Parable of the Talents

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property.15 To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.[c] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reapingwhere you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
    I know what I know
    I know what I don't know
    I don't know what I don't know.

Re: Fairness - I guess we shouldn't expect fairness

Originally posted by Nick View Post
    If we got what we deserved we'd all be externally separated from God. That aside, this brings to mind the Parable of Talents. Is it fair for the one that doubled the 10 talents to get the extra one the sluggard was too afraid to invest? Why him and not the one who doubled the 5 talents? Seems to me God rewards people that lay it all on the line and go BIG while relying on Him to deliver. This concept applied to a career or making money can be very rewarding, financially. I believe God wants us to take BIG risks and rely on Him to deliver the results.

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property.15 To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.[c] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reapingwhere you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
    I agree Nick, also, I believe that God wants us be bold in what we ask Him for, like not just a job (as an example for me personally) but a good job, one that pays well (according to my skills) and benefits etc.

I think it's about not hoarding what we have as well, the talents parable, in fear of losing it. I think it is true that the more we give, the more we get. Not financially necessarily, like the prosperity doctrine that seems popular nowadays, but like that lady in the bible that gave her last pennies? But I have heard over and over you can not out-give God. So for myself, I understand it as when God gives me something, I am supposed to share it, even give it away.

This was a good reminder for me, the parable of the talents God bless, denise, ysic

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't address the fairness part, but what I am finding is that God doesn't always seem fair to me, but I find out that there is a good, purpose to the way He does things. Some things I am still in the dark about, but I am learning denise, ysic

Comment

Originally posted by Oregongrown View Post
        I agree Nick, also, I believe that God wants us be bold in what we ask Him for, like not just a job (as an example for me personally) but a good job, one that pays well (according to my skills) and benefits etc.
        I have a tough time asking "big" because the things most desired are often the things refused.
        「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
        撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
          I have a tough time asking "big" because the things most desired are often the things refused.
          My understanding of God is that He wants to give us good things, but if I pray for something I want materially, or say, for someone to be saved, I don't think He is refusing me always if I don't see any results. Sometimes I believe it is in His timing He might give me a "yes" on my prayer. Or He may be telling me He is going to wait. He also might not see that what I am praying for is beneficial, or in His will.

Everyone knows the verse John 14:13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

I think it is widely misunderstood, only my take on it (opinion) but I agree with the opinion of Dave Guzik of Calvary Chapel in his commentary:

c. Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do: In My name is not an Aladdin’s lamp of prayer; it signifies both an endorsement (like a check) and a limitation (requests must be in accordance with the character of the name). We are coming to God in Jesus’ name, not in our own.

Where it says in the character of the name, the name of Jesus makes such wonderful sense to me. Would Jesus pray for a million dollars for example? Well, I don't think that is His character.

I do believe God says no to some prayers, for the reasons I already mentioned above, but that doesn't mean to stop asking for them, if you believe it is something God would see fit to give us. I was unbiblically divorced 18 years ago, and I started out praying to be married again. God has said no. And then I learned the Truth of the Word, and I see why He said no. I don't want to live my life outside of God's will.

But again, if we pray for things we know He would smile upon, don't give up on praying, and if you're not sure it's what He would want for you, keep praying, He will let you know, that's my experience anyway hugs, ysic, denise

Comment

You're right about getting what we deserve. If God were fair, we'd all be in hell. Thank the LORD, that He is just and merciful.

I'm kind of seeing this extra talent that the first guy received wasn't going in his own pocket. It was given to him to do with as he did the first five. Make it grow for the master.

The master in the parable said that it was all his and that these guys were just stewards and managers of his (the master's money). So, I think the reward came in being trusted with more - not personally given more.

I think the last guy condemns his own self with his words. He doesn't trust the master - he's scared of him and he is also lazy. "Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours."

The master tells him that the very least he could do was to let a banker have it and turn a profit.

I think God knows and Jesus knows that life is NOT fair for the majority of people. Some are born with so resources untold - (many things, abilities, gifts, talents, capabilities) and some with little. It's what we do with these things - FOR the Lord, for His gain. If someone can write or teach or encourage or minister to the downtrodden or financially support or pray or fight spiritual battles or lead others or be peacemakers ..... or ANYTHING that God endows them with interests and abilities to do so and they do not .... that person is lazy and wicked. Just like the last servant.

It doesn't matter what we are born into or given - it's what we do with it. And when we use these things to further God's kingdom, He entrusts us with more to do.

My grandmother was born into nothing, lived with nothing, and died with nothing. All she had was a Godly attitude and a inclination to take care of her own children and other pitiful children - some her own nieces and nephews who had sorry parents. Once, in the 1970's a car came pulling into her driveway and a young man jumped out and pulled out his girlfriend who was having a reaction to illegal drugs. He asked my grandmother for help. She knew who they were and knew their parents. She assessed that the girl didn't need medical attention, just needed to dry out and she gladly took them in. She put the girl in her bed and fed her toast and tea and water. Partly to make her throw up and partly to ease her stomach. I know these people and I can tell you that I don't know of anyone back in those days in that tiny hillbilly town who would have done that.

That girl is now in her 60's, is a Christian, and has never forgotten that night. Scores of people who had known hard times, mental illness, family crises, and more told me at my grandmother's funeral of her and my grandfather's kindness, encouragement, love, and support when they could find it no where else. I was shocked. I had an inkling of some of these things, but to the degree that their arms reached in the community - I had no clue. One prominent preacher in the community told me that when he was a young man that he was very, very rebellious and sinful. When he was saved, he felt the call of God to preach and entered seminary. NO one, he said, not even his own family encouraged him or believed in him or support him financially. But my grandfather believed in him and sent him $50 a month for the entire time he was in seminary in the 1970's. I don't know where my grandfather got a spare $50 a month back then. Literally.

My grandparents gave to people all that they had - help, support, encouragement, and love. They had no money, no material things. But they took what God had given them and multiplied it 1000 fold. And God gave them, in return, more people to reach out to. I think this is the main point of the parable of the talents.
            sigpic
            ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Inspiring story Jayne and thanks for sharing it. There is something to be said for the common saying "life isn't fair". It's not. I didn't do anything to 'deserve' the blessed life I have. In fact one of my biggest challenges is staying grateful for all the good things in my life.
              I know what I know
              I know what I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by Oregongrown View Post
                Sometimes I believe it is in His timing He might give me a "yes" on my prayer. Or He may be telling me He is going to wait. He also might not see that what I am praying for is beneficial, or in His will.
                How have you learned to differentiate between "wait" and "no?"
                「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
                撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

There is no "big risk" in the story. The man who doubled his money did it wisely through trading, not gambling or risking anything. If you know what you are doing, there is no risk.

James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                    There is no "big risk" in the story. The man who doubled his money did it wisely through trading, not gambling or risking anything. If you know what you are doing, there is no risk.
                    LOL! There is always risk in trading and investing. It's about seizing the opportunity and it doesn't always work out. The parable of the talents illustrates the tragedy of wasted opportunity. The man who goes on the journey represents Christ, and the slaves represent professing believers given different levels of responsibility. Faithfulness is what he demands of them, but the parable suggests that all who are faithful will be fruitful to some degree. The fruitless person is unmasked as a hypocrite and utterly destroyed (v. 30). The first and second servants acted industriously and earned a return on their entrusted amounts, probably by setting up some kind of business.

The difference between a millionaire and a billionaire is usually luck and timing but if you're not in the game you stand no chance. When George Soros took down the Bank of England he bet the farm and it paid off in spades. If IBM thought there was huge profit in software they would have negotiated a much different deal with Bill Gates and he probably wouldn't be the mega billionaire he is today. And you think Warren Buffet didn't take risk to obtain his fortunes? If Yahoo saw any value in Google they would have accepted Sergey and Larry's offer for $1 Million.
                    I know what I know
                    I know what I don't know

Comment

There is always risk in trading and investing.
                      The story doesn't speak of anyone participating in risky investing. Trading has no risk if you know what you are doing. You buy a flask of wine for 10 and it's worth 20, no "big" risk. The story speaks of using money to make more money in wise ways.

The parable of the talents illustrates the tragedy of wasted opportunity.
                      Yes, but it doesn't show God expecting anyone to take "big risks" as you said in the OP.
                      James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                        The story doesn't speak of anyone participating in risky investing. Trading has no risk if you know what you are doing. You buy a flask of wine for 10 and it's worth 20, no "big" risk. The story speaks of using money to make more money in wise ways.
                        How do you know what did they did to earn the money? The text doesn't say now does it? We can add or subtract content if we want or we can stick to the written word.

Yes, but it doesn't show God expecting anyone to take "big risks" as you said in the OP.
                        Being a follower of Christ is a "big" risk, especially in certain parts of the world. You have the count the cost and operate on complete faith. Going into business for yourself is a big risk. You can win big or lose big. That is how I chose to interpret its meaning. I would rather swing for the bleachers and have complete faith. The sluggard was obviously too scared to do anything with the talent. If the risk of losing it didn't exist he would have done something with it.
                        I know what I know
                        I know what I don't know

Comment

How do you know what did they did to earn the money? The text doesn't say now does it? We can add or subtract content if we want or we can stick to the written word.
                          First of all, you are adding to the story that God wants us to take "big risks" and that is NOT in the story so take your own advice about adding or subtracting from the content!

Second, it does tell us how the first doubled up, trading:

He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more.

Being a follower of Christ is a "big" risk, especially in certain parts of the world.
                          So? Has nothing to do with this story.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Soloman seemed to advise the "balanced portfolio" approach.

Comment

Nick... have you considered that the point isn't about the gain or about the "reward" the servants had in their hands... it's about the faithfulness of those who did work to bear more fruit? Those who took the talents and did something that resulted in more, were exercising stewardship over what they were given. It's not about taking risks, it's about taking what God has given you and doing all you can with it and in faith(fulness) God multiplies to those who "do". God gives us "opportunities" and when we "do", God will give MORE to do. The reward isn't about money, the reward is to be given more "work" by God.
                              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Working...
                              X