Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ice Cream > Marriage

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
    If Jesus lives because of the Father, where does the father get his life from? The Word?
    I think what God is saying here is that He is the only being which is self-sustaining.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
      Eve was created because "It is not good for the man to be alone" first and then to help with managing the Earth second. And after Eve was created, it became "very good" - which means the problem had been solved in that instant, rather than having begun to make progress. So this begs the question of why it is not good for man to be alone in perfection pre-fall, yet good for man to be alone in perfection post-resurrection - and why God didn't simply create humans without the necessity for a companion in the first place. If, for example, marriage was created as a learning process so that we will be ready for the afterlife, what becomes of those who have never been married?
      If you were eternal, wouldn't you want to share eternity with someone?

I know God is above all that is, yet we were created in the image and likeness of God, which to me means not only physical likeness but emotional/intellectual likeness also. I guess for lack of a better term, maybe God was lonely? Maybe that's why God created? We get lonely, don't we? It's not good for anyone to be alone.

How awesome of an idea is it that we give God comfort and joy, just by existing? I love God! I want to share eternity with God! Ooo, pick me, pick me!

And for future reference, I love mint n' chip.
      John 10 (KJV)
      27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
      28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
      29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceegen View Post
        If you were eternal, wouldn't you want to share eternity with someone?
        Exactly, I don't think we will cease to be a reflection of God on an individual level .

And for future reference, I love mint n' chip.
        We have a shop nearby that sells cotton candy ice cream, and I can never decide between vanilla, mint, or cotton candy LOL.

Comment

We have a shop nearby that sells cotton candy ice cream, and I can never decide between vanilla, mint, or cotton candy LOL.
          My decision is very easy: coffee ice cream.
          "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
          "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
          Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Comment

Eve was created because "It is not good for the man to be alone" first and then to help with managing the Earth second. And after Eve was created, it became "very good" - which means the problem had been solved in that instant, rather than having begun to make progress. So this begs the question of why it is not good for man to be alone in perfection pre-fall, yet good for man to be alone in perfection post-resurrection - and why God didn't simply create humans without the necessity for a companion in the first place. If, for example, marriage was created as a learning process so that we will be ready for the afterlife, what becomes of those who have never been married?
            Being fruitful and multiplying would be interesting with only one person making that happen.
            Of course God could have made that possible if He wanted to.

The amount of joy being in His eternal presence knowing Him as He knows there will be no feeling disconnected/alone/single what have you.
            Do you believe your spirit is gender specific?
            Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
              Being fruitful and multiplying would be interesting with only one person making that happen.
              Of course God could have made that possible if He wanted to. The amount of joy being in His eternal presence knowing Him as He knows there will be no feeling disconnected/alone/single what have you. Do you believe your spirit is gender specific?
              I don't personally believe the spirit has a gender - but a human is a combination of spirit, soul, and body. I was taught for most of my life that we spend eternity in heaven as a spirit, but this is not true. There will be a new physical universe to compliment new physical bodies; and since bodies are gender specific, I would assume we will be raised with genders. I'd also say that the spirit is influenced greatly by the body it identifies with and many passions/desires are directly associated with gender (such as how love is shown and received).

Comment

I don't personally believe the spirit has a gender - but a human is a combination of spirit, soul, and body. I was taught for most of my life that we spend eternity in heaven as a spirit, but this is not true. There will be a new physical universe to compliment new physical bodies; and since bodies are gender specific, I would assume we will be raised with genders.
                No pain, no tears...It will be unlike anything any of us have ever known, that is for certain.
                I don't believe the spirit has gender, and not sure about the soul. We may be very surprised. But all will be very glad, that's for sure.
                Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianCoffee View Post
                  My decision is very easy: coffee ice cream.
                  Haven't seen coffee ice cream, but I have seen bacon ice cream (never tasted).

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                    Who's going to make me perfect bacon in the Olam Haba then?
                    I will-actually I make some great pagan motso balls for you in the afterlife...with bacon!

Comment

Why will we still eat food if Jesus is the bread of life? Same argument.
                      Not so my friend.

You wrote in Posting #1;

Since we will still be able to eat in the afterlife (apparently for enjoyment rather than survival), yet won't have marriages, then apparently marriage is one of the least important things in life compared to desserts?

Comment

Jesus makes it picture clear that there will be no marriage in resurrection-it is airtight as the Saducees were trying to trap Him in saying there was no resurrection, and then gave a seemingly airtight case involving 7 spouses-which Jesus dispatched very quickly.
                        The fall created the need for physical procreative sexuality, and this nature is what created marriage-this is why marriage is in great debate today-you take out the procreative and make it sterile and God's purpose of marriage falls apart at the seams-same thing with premarital sex.
                        The same thing for marriage in ressurection as we will live forever there is no need to procreate.
                        You seem to have no contentment on this subject and want to discuss it exhaustively until we agree with you..the problem still lies in that this does not change the reality of what will happen.
                        I used to think that chocolate is the ultimate, but when I got married I found something greater than chocolate! When I am intimate with my husband I dont think of eating chocolate because I found something greater. This is the example of resurrection..right now sex is the ultimate but when we are in the presence of the Almighty we will have found something greater than sex.
                        1.Will you be alone and need companionship in resurrection
                        2.Will you need to procreate
                        3.Will you need to get married to prevent fornication

You liken Jesus having eyes, ears and eating as a proof positive that we will be getting married and having sex-but you ignore that Jesus was not having sex and marriage, nor did He allude to sex and marriage in Heaven.He had many opportunities to herald the rewards of those who were faithful to Him until death a beautiful wife in Heaven..but He did no such thing.
                        Paul even told people who were about to face a Roman cult that it might be better not to get married...this was another golden opportunity to give hope to the unmarried that they would have a beautiful spouse in Heaven. Instead we see the example of us as the Bride of Messiah.

Comment

I don't personally believe the spirit has a gender - but a human is a combination of spirit, soul, and body. I was taught for most of my life that we spend eternity in heaven as a spirit, but this is not true. There will be a new physical universe to compliment new physical bodies; and since bodies are gender specific, I would assume we will be raised with genders. I'd also say that the spirit is influenced greatly by the body it identifies with and many passions/desires are directly associated with gender (such as how love is shown and received).
                          I believe that my femininity is who I am. In Heaven, in spirit, I will be still female as it is ingrained in my being, sex is not something we do, or is it limited to an erotic experience-it is what we are. I am looking forward to a redeemed body and sexuality, God does not do away with things-He Redeems them-the common materialist will not understand what I am talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Karaite View Post
                            Jesus makes it picture clear that there will be no marriage in resurrection-it is airtight as the Saducees were trying to trap Him in saying there was no resurrection, and then gave a seemingly airtight case involving 7 spouses-which Jesus dispatched very quickly.
                            The fall created the need for physical procreative sexuality, and this nature is what created marriage-this is why marriage is in great debate today-you take out the procreative and make it sterile and God's purpose of marriage falls apart at the seams-same thing with premarital sex.
                            The same thing for marriage in ressurection as we will live forever there is no need to procreate.
                            You seem to have no contentment on this subject and want to discuss it exhaustively until we agree with you..the problem still lies in that this does not change the reality of what will happen.
                            I used to think that chocolate is the ultimate, but when I got married I found something greater than chocolate! When I am intimate with my husband I dont think of eating chocolate because I found something greater. This is the example of resurrection..right now sex is the ultimate but when we are in the presence of the Almighty we will have found something greater than sex.

You liken Jesus having eyes, ears and eating as a proof positive that we will be getting married and having sex-but you ignore that Jesus was not having sex and marriage, nor did He allude to sex and marriage in Heaven.He had many opportunities to herald the rewards of those who were faithful to Him until death a beautiful wife in Heaven..but He did no such thing.
                            Paul even told people who were about to face a Roman cult that it might be better not to get married...this was another golden opportunity to give hope to the unmarried that they would have a beautiful spouse in Heaven. Instead we see the example of us as the Bride of Messiah.
                            How close you are to the truth.

Scripture says in Romans Chapter 1 that the things of God are seen by the creation. Since marriage is part of the creation (there had been no woman before), it points to a "thing" of God. And sure enough the lesser points to the greater. Adam and Eve prefigure Christ and the Church. Thus Ephesians 5:21-33;
                            "21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
                            22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
                            23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
                            24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
                            25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
                            26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
                            27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
                            28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
                            29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
                            30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
                            31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
                            32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
                            33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband."

Thus, seeing as, "... even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.... ;" (v.25) we are reminded in 2nd Corinthians 11:2;
                            "2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ."

The joys of a good marriage are multiplied ad infinitum when our Lord Jesus, the Beloved of the Universe, shares His delicacies with His Bride one day. I too have a good marriage, and in weak moments question why there should be no more of my union to my beloved wife in resurrection. But the Word alludes to a relationship, intimacy and pleasure that puts the temporal well into the shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
                              Not so my friend. You wrote in Posting #1;
                              Yes, if both food and marriage will be vestiges of the old Earth, yet food for enjoyment is retained in the absence of marriage, then there is no reason to believe marriage is more valuable or important than food. If your argument is that we won't need marriage because we will be figuratively married to God, then to apply this same reasoning with food implies it should be replaced by the "bread of life." Yet, there is both literal and figurative food on the New Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Karaite View Post
                                The fall created the need for physical procreative sexuality,
                                I don't believe this, because humans were created sexual creatures prior to the Fall. Marriage was not formed as a solution to lust, sin, or imperfection.

According to Genesis, yes. God determined that Adam was alone, and this was solved by marriage rather than an abstract figurative relationship.

Since procreation is a secondary function of marriage, I'm not particularly concerned with this. Adam and Eve did not need to procreate for Day 6 to be "very good."

Marriage wasn't created as a prevention for fornication, but it has evolved into this after the fall. So I'd say no, we won't need to be married to prevent sin from happening.

You liken Jesus having eyes, ears and eating as a proof positive that we will be getting married and having sex
                                This isn't the foundation for my argument, but it is complimentary to the notion that we will be raised in physical human bodies and not asexual humanoid "improvements".

Instead we see the example of us as the Bride of Messiah.
                                We will not be literally and individually married to one Person. That would be polygamous and disturbing.

Comment

Working...
                                X