Ice Cream > Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream > Marriage

Since we will still be able to eat in the afterlife (apparently for enjoyment rather than survival), yet won't have marriages, then apparently marriage is one of the least important things in life compared to desserts?
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Re: Ice Cream > Marriage

I'm going to ask you to show me that this is a serious question that could lead to a serious biblical based discussion. If you can't it will be moved...somewhere. Don't know where yet.

What's the point of this?
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Comment

I'm wondering why marriage is considered extremely important if it is not retained after the resurrection, yet food is - despite food being totally unnecessary to sustaining life for immortals.

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
        I'm wondering why marriage is considered extremely important if it is not retained after the resurrection, yet food is - despite food being totally unnecessary to sustaining life for immortals.
        I'm also asking myself why you maintain this when the culmination, the consummation, of all that God does in the Bible is a Bride, and this Bride is the One that gets to be intimate with Jesus the Lovely One. Why is terrestrial marriage pushed to the forefront to the discarding of the Celestial?

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
          I'm also asking myself why you maintain this when the culmination, the consummation, of all that God does in the Bible is a Bride, and this Bride is the One that gets to be intimate with Jesus the Lovely One. Why is terrestrial marriage pushed to the forefront to the discarding of the Celestial?
          Why will we still eat food if Jesus is the bread of life? Same argument.

Comment

It may well just be because my brain works a little differently, but the question brings a variety of things to my (little bitty) brain.

first, the comparison. Ice cream is absolutely about pleasure. It may provide some nourishment, and sustanance but it is about pleasure.

our societal expectations of marriage are that it is about pleasure. Our comedians make jokes about how miserable marriage is, while our movies paint a hopelessly unrealistic picture of constant, and continuous bliss.

i believe that a significant part of the reason for the divorce rate has to do with this.... Folks expect ice cream every day....

i also believe that we do a fairly poor job of helping young folks "pick a flavor". A friend recently asked me about getting her son help in preparing for getting married.. What a beautiful question!

at baskin Robbins (an ice cream place for my international friends) one can choose from 31 flavors... And with very few exceptions there will not be a bad choice. The person considers a flavor and even gets a free taste...l if they choose poorly they only endure it as long as it takes to finish a cone or until it melts and runs down your arm.

we encourage folks to "take a taste test" before they get married, and they find the really like the flavor... But then later learn that it may not be the same excitement after they have it every day.

i believe that there is a real disconnect between "knowing" someone and being attracted enough to get married.

we often learn that the "flavor" we choose is not what we expect, and because we are expecting an ice cream like experience we are left hollow.... And alone.

more in a minute....
            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
            ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
            ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Loneliness and hunger.

Ice cream satisfies a hunger. So also can marriage. The fact is that our expectations are very different. No one orders an ice cream cone and expects to never want another one..l it is by nature temporary.

Marriage is often believed to be the thing to "satisfy" us (and in one physical aspect it can) but the loneliness and the disconnection we feel in this fallen world will haunt us. Even in a wonderful relationship, the likeliness is that one spouse will pass before the other... The remaining person can be left not only alone but even more disconnected.

I my experience counseling, divorce is often viewed as an escape from the loneliness of being in an unfulfilling marriage. The fact is that in this life, we are alone.. Save for Christ.

We turn to a variety of things to avoid the loneliness, marriage, drugs, some join clubs others cults. I believe that this is one of the reasons The Lord desires we fellowship with others regularly....

The wedding feast, and the celebration that we will participate in will celebrate the death of loneliness.. Once we are together with Christ forever that isolation will be destroyed... Until then we have a faint hint at the connection we will have

Marriage, and physical intimacy are a picture, but one flawed by the echos of sin in this fallen world.

I think the (albeit somewhat weird) OP invites these questions. I think we do well to consider the difference.. I believe that if I had to pin myself down in this off the wall rant of a reply I would say that icecream is not greater then marriage, I believe that marriage and what it represents ARE going to be eternal icecream.....

We are going to be in for a great surprise someday. We hardly know what to expect, but if you think about loneliness, and the disconnection and pain we feel in this life...l I think we get a clue. Imagine what that will be like to never feel alone again.

Even in my darkest fallen condition I yearn for that day... I believe all of humanity does.

Blessings to all,
              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
              ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
                first, the comparison. Ice cream is absolutely about pleasure. It may provide some nourishment, and sustanance but it is about pleasure. our societal expectations of marriage are that it is about pleasure. Our comedians make jokes about how miserable marriage is, while our movies paint a hopelessly unrealistic picture of constant, and continuous bliss.
                That's sort of what I'm getting at - that food in the afterlife is basically like ice cream given that we won't need it for nourishment. Yet marriage is removed (even if unnecessary), doesn't this imply that marriage is less important than even the simplest form of pleasure?

Comment

We don't even know what sort of bodies we will have after the judgement. Will there even be different sexes? We just don't know everything yet so....some of it is a mystery. In other words: I don't know.
                  Day by day
                  Oh Dear Lord
                  Three things I pray
                  To see thee more clearly
                  Love thee more dearly
                  Follow thee more nearly
                  Day by day

Comment

That's sort of what I'm getting at - that food in the after life is basically like ice cream given that we won't need it for nourishment. Yet if marriage is removed (even if unnecessary) doesn't this imply that marriage is less important than even the simplest form of pleasure?
                    The "feast" is a picture. The food is not for nourishment, (our new bodies will not hunger) but pleasure.. Ongoing and perpetual*. Marriage will not be required for the picture of the connection and end of loneliness for it will be no more!

* this word means different things for me than most. I believe our limited, temporal understanding is going to change. The Lord is outside of time... He created it and is not limited by it. "when the Perfect comes, we shall see Him and we shall know Him" suggests to me me there will no longer be a néed for the linear experience we are bound to now.

This unique view destroys so many divisive doctrines folks love to argue about (OSAS, predestination, the millennial kingdom, eternal torture, on and on and on...l) sadly our brains are not really wired not to think in terms of time. I believe that will change and that ever single word of scripture makes perfect sense if you can accept that there are things our limited understanding simply can not yet grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                      We don't even know what sort of bodies we will have after the judgement. Will there even be different sexes? We just don't know everything yet so....some of it is a mystery. In other words: I don't know.
                      I think there will be different sexes for these reasons:

1) Male and female were created perfect before the Fall (God didn't originally intend for asexual beings).
                      2) The lack of marriage/females is the only thing God called "not good" in creation.
                      3) The only descriptions of the resurrected body that differ from the fallen one is immortality (plus power and glory).
                      4) Jesus's resurrected body was not genderless.
                      5) Much of our identity comes from our sex and gender.

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
                        Marriage will not be required for the picture of the connection and end of loneliness for it will be no more!
                        I've heard this explanation offered a few times, but if this is so, I wonder why marriage was created in the first place given that it precedes sin.

this word means different things for me than most. I believe our limited, temporal understanding is going to change. The Lord is outside of time... He created it and is not limited by it. "when the Perfect comes, we shall see Him and we shall know Him" suggests to me me there will no longer be a néed for the linear experience we are bound to now.
                        Hmm, I'm not sure about this either because God created us under time (after Day 5, but before Day 7) rather than above it. Plus, wouldn't this cause problems with sin in general? Because if we will be outside of time (future from now), then there was never a time when we weren't sinful (we will exist in the past).

Comment

I think there will be different sexes for these reasons:

1) Male and female were created perfect before the Fall (God didn't originally intend for asexual beings).
                          2) The lack of marriage/females is the only thing God called "not good" in creation.
                          3) The only descriptions of the resurrected body that differ from the fallen one is immortality (plus power and glory).
                          4) Jesus's resurrected body was not genderless.
                          5) Much of our identity comes from our sex and gender.
                          That's a good bit of logic and reasoning but is it born out with scripture? I don't think so. I thinks it's just conjecture until the time comes. We haven't had some of the stuff we wonder about laid out all nice and neat in scripture so we just have to trust in God that when scripture say's no more worry and no more care and no more tears it will be just that.

As far as four goes: Jesus's resurrected body was one for this earth. We will have new and changed bodies after the judgement. We don't know exactly what the differences will be but they will be different.
                          Day by day
                          Oh Dear Lord
                          Three things I pray
                          To see thee more clearly
                          Love thee more dearly
                          Follow thee more nearly
                          Day by day

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                            That's a good bit of logic and reasoning but is it born out with scripture? I don't think so. I thinks it's just conjecture until the time comes. We haven't had some of the stuff we wonder about laid out all nice and neat in scripture so we just have to trust in God that when scripture say's no more worry and no more care and no more tears it will be just that.

As far as four goes: Jesus's resurrected body was one for this earth. We have have new and changed bodies after the judgement. We don't know exactly what the differences will be but they will be different.
                            The last two may be conjecture, but 1 and 2 are based on the Bible and 3 is limited to how many verses about the resurrected body I know of at this time.

Comment

Allow me to clarify, , I meant conjecture in the sense of how those will relate to our future changed bodies. People have been trying to connect these dots for a long, long time. Plenty of opinion out there...not so much verifiable by scripture fact.
                              Day by day
                              Oh Dear Lord
                              Three things I pray
                              To see thee more clearly
                              Love thee more dearly
                              Follow thee more nearly
                              Day by day

Comment

Working...
                              X