Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jerusalem

I'm excited! Are you?

Rev 21:1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

17 Then he measured its wall: one hundred and forty-four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel.

Converted, that's 1,500 miles long, 1,500 miles wide and 1,500 miles high! I found this picture that illustrates the size. The city will be so high that a sky scraper could go 600,000 floors! At 5,000 miles away, the city would appear more than 130 times larger than the moon.

It is so large that it can contain every person who has been born, plus additional billions of people.

2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Re: New Jerusalem

One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. (Rev. 21:9-10)

Jesus is going to marry a giant cube in the sky?

「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
      One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. (Rev. 21:9-10)

Jesus is going to marry a giant cube in the sky?

The citizens are His bride, but we live in the city.

Smartiepants!
      Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
        The citizens are His bride, but we live in the city. Smartiepants!
        But the text you quoted says it is the actual architecture which is the bride - "I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband" - and then later an angel says he will show John the bride - “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God." Following that is an entire chapter describing the city, not the inhabitants, as beautifully decorated with rare gems and precious metals. That seems bizzare if the inhabitants (plural) are the bride (singular).

Maybe the city is symbolic of the saved? It is after all the book of Revelation. That would explain why on the foundation of the city is written the 12 apostles, and on the gates are written the 12 tribes of Israel. The inhabitants aren't mentioned even once.

More comparions in Post #77.
        Last edited by Aviyah; Mar 10th 2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I'm excited! Are you?

Rev 21:1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

17 Then he measured its wall: one hundred and forty-four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel.

Converted, that's 1,500 miles long, 1,500 miles wide and 1,500 miles high! I found this picture that illustrates the size. The city will be so high that a sky scraper could go 600,000 floors! At 5,000 miles away, the city would appear more than 130 times larger than the moon.

It is so large that it can contain every person who has been born, plus additional billions of people.

2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Is this the world wearing a phylactery?
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

But the text you quoted says it is the actual architecture which is the bride - "I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband" - and then later an angel says he will show John the bride - “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God." Following that is an entire chapter describing the city, not the inhabitants, as beautifully decorated with rare gems and precious metals. That seems bizzare if the inhabitants (plural) are the bride (singular).

Maybe the city is symbolic of the saved? It is after all the book of Revelation. That would explain why on the foundation of the city is written the 12 apostles, and on the gates are written the 12 tribes of Israel. The inhabitants aren't mentioned even once.

By the way, you are the second person to call smartypants today. LOL (actually this was a day earlier).
            What about what this text says then?

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Jesus is the speaker, correct? The one that overcometh would be part of the church, correct? To try and illustrate something here in order to make the point clearer, let's personify this overcomer and make it you. The text would then read such as the following...

To Aviyah that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and She shall go no more out: and I will write upon Aviyah the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon Aviyah my new name.

If the name of the city is written on you, how then are you that city? According to this passage there are 3 things written upon you...1)the name of my God...2)the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem..3)my new name. As to the other two things written on you, you wouldn't say those are you, right? and if no, why then conclude the new Jerusalem is you?

But I do have a theory though.

Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

What usually makes up a bride? The bride herself and the wedding gown. with that in mind, the wedding gown is new Jerusalem with the church being what's inside
            of the wedding gown, thus both together comprise the bride, yet neither are each other any more than a bride and her wedding gown are each other. Where did I come up with all of this? You got me..all I know is, these are the kinds of things that sort of enter into my mind out of nowhere at times. Is there anything to it then? Not really sure, but I do see it being a logical deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
              If the name of the city is written on you, how then are you that city?
              I am not the city, and you are not the city. All of us collectively are called "New Jerusalem." That's the name God has chosen for His people, both saved Jew and saved Gentile combined into one entity. The names we have written on us (not literal tattoos IMO) represent our identity. Our origin is God, we are a part of His people, and we are individuals. Think ID, seal, or passport.

YHVH-NJ-Aviyah2.0

But again I regard this as highly symbolic imagery, and not that we will have actual serial numbers imprinted on our foreheads.

What usually makes up a bride? The bride herself and the wedding gown. with that in mind, the wedding gown is new Jerusalem with the church being what's inside of the wedding gown, thus both together comprise the bride,
              That's a good analogy, and I agree that there could be "wedding gown" imagery, but the text does not say that the city is the gown. In fact, it says that the holy city is the subject being prepared as the bride - so the gemstones, glass, and metals would be representative of a wedding gown to use your illustration. Revelation doesn't even mention inhabitants, and the city itself is called the bride twice.

Comment

I'm excited! Are you?

John could have just said, "Wow, this city is really big" but that would not give unto us the comprehension needed to understand its size. It had to be measured first to be understood fully. I believe the "measure of faith" is a tool given unto the Church so that we to can measure the height, depth, length, and the breadth of the Love of God that passes all understanding, so we might be filled with all the fullness of God. Until we measure we will never really understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                  Until we measure we will never really understand.
                  I'd say His love measures out to about the distance from one wrist to the other.

Comment

I believe the best part of it is going to be Jesus.
                    Live the Halleluyah life

Comment

By the way, you are the second person to call smartypants today. LOL (actually this was a day earlier).
                      It doesn't say that the architecture is His bride.

Comment

It doesn't say that the architecture is His bride.
                        If the city is not the bride, why would an entire chapter be dedicated to describing it as the bride... especially when earlier John said it looked like a bride adorned for her husband? Why do you assume this is a literal city and not representative of the saints?

Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed— on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

And the one who spoke with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city and its gates and walls. The city lies foursquare, its length the same as its width. And he measured the city with his rod, 12,000 stadia. Its length and width and height are equal. He also measured its wall, 144 cubits by human measurement, which is also an angel's measurement. The wall was built of jasper, while the city was pure gold, like clear glass. The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with every kind of jewel. The first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass.

And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Rev. 21:9-27)

Comment

I'm excited! Are you?

I always thought it would be more pyramid shaped with each side being 1500 mile and the pinnacle 1500 miles high.
                          "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
                          C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
                          "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
                          "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
                          "Our Hope is unchanged"
                          "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

Why do you assume this is a literal city and not representative of the saints?
                            With that in mind consider the following.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

If the city represents the saints does this verse then mean this? Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates OF THEMSELVES. How does that make sense?

Comment

Consider Isaiah 65 and 66 insights to the New Earth

Comment

Working...
                              X