Many paths to God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Many paths to God?

Is it truth to consider someone a Christian who believes that there are many paths to God?

Can one be a believer in Jesus Christ, yet believe that others can believe in Mohammed and go to Heaven?

One who says they are a Christian but believes Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, Protestants etc. all serve the same God, does this person have the truth in him or is he a liar?
    "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Well, Jesus says "I AM the way, the truth and the light... NO-ONE comes to the Father but by Me." And then again we hear that anyone who denies Christ is a liar, and an anti Christ.

So I'd suggest the Bible makes it quite clear. There is only one path, and it's narrow. We may get on it at different junctures, but whatever path we were on before we were saved, we all have to enter in at the narrow gate that leads to eternal life.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

It depends on how well-versed a Christian is. For example, if a Christian gets saved today, believing that other people may still get to Heaven, that is fine.

But as they grow and mature and study, and come to those verses that point out that CHRIST IS THE ONLY WAY... and they choose not to believe it, then no, I don't believe they are saved, for they are then calling God (and Christ) a liar in exchange for the world's way.

Christ requires that we depend on Him and ONLY on Him for our salvation. At some level, people who believe in "another way" aren't going to be relying on Him completely.

If Christ is wrong, I'm going to hell...I accept that. Someone who thinks that if Christ is wrong, they can try Buddha, or Allah, or maybe they'll get in because they were good people...

they just don't get it. They don't understand the power in, and need of, Christ's blood. - no, they're not saved, IMO.

Comment

That's a good reply Angyll... when I was first saved I really wanted to believe in universal reconciliation, for example... but reading the Scriptures told me that couldn't be true. Next, I really was hoping for annihilation of the wicked... but again I couldn't hold to that as I read the Word.

I've been Christian a little less than three years, and I do know that what I believed early on simply can't be hung onto, when Scripture says otherwise.
        Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus_1611 View Post
          Is it truth to consider someone a Christian who believes that there are many paths to God?

Can one be a believer in Jesus Christ, yet believe that others can believe in Mohammed and go to Heaven?

One who says they are a Christian but believes Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, Protestants etc. all serve the same God, does this person have the truth in him or is he a liar?
          I agree somewhat with the other posts, and wholly with the bible that one must go through the Son to get to the Father

1John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: [(but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also].

But one thing that bothers me about your post is that you included Catholics as if they don't believe in Christ? is this what you mean't?

Ministering to diverse groups of people, I know that ones go through journeys, I have seen atheist give their lives to Christ to be a testimony that God can save anyone.

We all are on different paths , but we must get to Christ.

When one teaches what is called ecumenical religion, then I have a problem with them. God is a jealous God and we can put no god before him. That person is a deceiver.

But for a Christian to say that Christ is there for everyone, no matter the path, and will recieve them when they acknowledge that Jesus is Lord, is in line with the scriptures.
          It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Originally posted by always View Post
            I agree somewhat with the other posts, and wholly with the bible that one must go through the Son to get to the Father

1John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: [(but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also].

But one thing that bothers me about your post is that you included Catholics as if they don't believe in Christ? is this what you mean't?
            The Roman Catholic Church believes in a Christ, just not the same one that is presented in the Holy Bible. Salvation is by grace through faith alone...not via sacraments.

Ministering to diverse groups of people, I know that ones go through journeys, I have seen atheist give their lives to Christ to be a testimony that God can save anyone.

We all are on different paths , but we must get to Christ.

When one teaches what is called ecumenical religion, then I have a problem with them. God is a jealous God and we can put no god before him. That person is a deceiver.

But for a Christian to say that Christ is there for everyone, no matter the path, and will recieve them when they acknowledge that Jesus is Lord, is in line with the scriptures.
            "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Comment

Originally posted by always View Post
              Catholics believe in Christ...

And Mary, and the Church, and the Sacraments, and the Saints, and the Ritual, and the Baptism, and Communion...

They put their faith in MANY things for Salvation and not Christ alone. In this way, they are no different than the heretic who believes that there are many paths (religions) that will get you there.

Comment

One can be a Christian that goes to a Catholic church, but not (i think) a Catholic who claims themself Christian. The difference being a doctrinal one: It is hard to see how one can believe in Catholic doctrine in its entirety and be a bible-believing Christian.
                "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

If somebody does not believe that Catholics are Christians, then the Christian church disappeared from about 300 until 1519.

Comment

Originally posted by KATA_LOUKAN View Post
                    If somebody does not believe that Catholics are Christians, then the Christian church disappeared from about 300 until 1519.
                    Since the time of Jesus Christ on earth, there have always been faithful Christians outside of the Roman Catholic Church. (They have never been as strong as they could have been, as the RCC was busy killing many of them.)

Comment

Since the time of Jesus Christ on earth, there have always been faithful Christians outside of the Roman Catholic Church. (They have never been as strong as they could have been, as the RCC was busy killing many of them.)
                      Perhaps not part of the RCC, but until the Reformation, saints, icons, relics, etc. were part of the church, whether we liked it or not. Sure they were debated at various times, but anyone wishing to become a Christian would have to choose between Western, Eastern, or Oriental churches while the purely protestant doctrines would be a long time coming.

Believing in these things does not invalidate somebody's Christianity, but it obviously contributed to a very distorted vision of God until the Reformation.

Comment

Originally posted by KATA_LOUKAN View Post
                        Believing in these things does not invalidate somebody's Christianity, but it obviously contributed to a very distorted vision of God until the Reformation.

I have to agree with this, this is a example of ones path, they are going toward Jesus, all of the symbolism yes, is a distortion, but didn't God tell us as well that

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

how many debates do we see here wether or not baptism is nececessary to make it to heaven? the debates about speaking in tongues?, debates about speaking faith?

we have our issues as well as the RCC has theirs

18 says

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind.

There are many things the RCC has to overcome as well as we do, but knowing that Christ is Lord is the right path.

God knows where we at, he sees us taking our baby steps and has his arms out for us, HE is ABBA Father.

and as we crawl, step, walk, then run this race whatever curves we take, we have to stay focused on HIM. Others are watching! We don't have time to be critical, for those on other paths have to see how we take our curves.
                        It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

The RCC has much to answer for before God. But we can't condemn a whole association for the mistakes of some of its members. We're each individually responsible for the path we ourselves walk, and whether we obey God or not. There are many who claim the name of Jesus and live their life contrary to His commandments. There are many who have never met Him and yet are nearer to Him than they are aware of. God has put eternity in all of our hearts, and to Him alone we answer.

But we will all be held accountable for what we know. If I know that Jesus is the only way to the Father, then I must live accordingly and talk accordingly, because that is what I am going to get judged by. God alone knows, and I can't answer for somebody else because I cannot see their hearts or witness their life in its entirety. The only life and heart I have such control over, is my own. And once I know truth, then I must walk according to it, or it is sin unto me. Because whatever is not of faith, is sin.

Comment

Originally posted by DaniHansen View Post
                            . There are many who have never met Him and yet are nearer to Him than they are aware of.

The only life and heart I have such control over, is my own. And once I know truth, then I must walk according to it, or it is sin unto me. Because whatever is not of faith, is sin.

TWO! statements of wisdom

Comment

One Saviour - Jesus Christ
                              One bible - the Word of God
                              One church - divided into denominations, all man made & flawed.

Love SofTy.
                              1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Working...
                              X