Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

God does not care if we have our "best life now"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God does not care if we have our "best life now"...

Joel Osteen and Self-Esteem According to Paul Washer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcPLnKmBRQ

Your Best Life: Now Or Later? - John MacArthur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzP4rfQsuSY

We spend too much time livin for this life when we should be livin for the next.
    Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, ~ 1 Peter 1:3

Comment

I honestly think folks are missing out on a lot when they make their entire goal heaven . . .

Our goal right now, and the message of the early church, was that we seek to know Him on an intimate level, and in the process of that experience what Jesus referred to in John 3:16, John 3:36 and John 17:3.

Everlasting life is not just a promise given for after we die. It is to be experienced right now. Everlasting life is God's will being done on earth as it is in heaven.

Now everlasting life does not mean that everything is peachy according to worldly circumstances. However, if we are walking in the Spirit we will not reap what is of the flesh . . . we will reap what is of the Spirit.

What is of the Spirit is everlasting life. What is of the flesh is death. We need to examine what fruit we are producing. Are we producing fruit of the Spirit that leads to life or are we producing fruit of the flesh which leads to death? Depending upon which fruit we are producing we will experience either everlasting life now or death. One or the other.
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Our life now is Jesus Christ. What is Heaven except more of Jesus everywhere? Why would anyone want to wait until then when we can live fully in Him now?

What is better than the Lord?

No 12 steps this and 7 keys that can, and should, ever take His place. He is sufficient, now, and tomorrow, and next year, and 1000 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by immortality View Post
          God does not care if we have our "best life now"
          Lol..sure he does. Just depends on how you define best. Didn't watch the videos, but I've seen Joel Osteen before. I don't really have that much of an issue with him, he does preach positive messsages which are very good and uplifting at times. Still, he does put a huge emphasis though on the God wants you to receive much material prosperity. This might be true to a limited extent, problem being, how does this message really reach poor people who are unable to get out of financial crisis due to circumstances beyond their control? Not sure if this message is the best one to give to the states particularly during this financial crisis we're going through -- maybe he should balance it out a bit -- add more about sharing and helping others receive prosperity. Just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
            Didn't watch the videos
            please do so...

Comment

please do so...
              I'll try but I used to watch him a lot a few years ago, so I'm not speaking as a guy who doesn't know of him and what he preaches. I'll admit - He is a little too much into the prosperity thing. He does give some really uplifting/good messages from time to time though. I'll admit he does need to balance the whole message out a lot. Who knows what the guy's motive is though. I'm not sure if he's all that different from a lot of churches nowadays, he just has a syndicated show which enables him to reach more people.

Comment

friend of i am, at least watch the first video.

let me know what you think...

Comment

a scripture comes to mind when pondering this subject...

"Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." [mat 16:25]

Comment

friend of i am, at least watch the first video.

let me know what you think...
                    I watched just a bit of it, and it's as I thought. It seems as if the guy is just attacking Olsteen, his book, and his philosophy -- kind of professing the fact that he is preaching a superior doctrine to him. That's really not all that beneficial. The man can preach a more on the contrary to Olsteen without having to tear him down. I'll agree that Olsteen is a bit off on some of his stuff, doesn't mean that all of what he says is not beneficial to the believer. You have to take it in bits, just like we should take the sermon from the guy in the video -- and apply what you hear to diligent study and prayer. This is something we all should do when listening to a sermon from any pastor. All in all, both men need to take the focus off themselves, and put it more on God in their sermons.

God bless in Christian Love,

Stephen

Comment

"For the time will come when people will not tolerate healthy doctrine, but with itching ears will surround themselves with teachers who cater to their people's own desires." [2 tim 4:3]

Comment

If you would permit me to put a post from my blog on here, it sums up my feelings about "living my best life now".

(It is long, yes...but so is eternity. )

I Am Living My Best Life Now

Anyone who thinks being a Christian is easy has absolutely no idea what it means to be a Christian. Either that, or they have a very shallow knowledge of Jesus Christ, but they do not really know Him or walk closely with Him. I believe this with all of my heart, and continue to be more convinced the more I walk with Jesus.

There came a point in my life as a Christian, when I began to really strip away the things of the world and seek God with my whole heart, that my world seemed to fall out from under me. The more I sought the Lord, the more people very close to me disdained me for it. The more I worshiped the Lord and lived for Him, the more every demon in hell seemed to come against me.

I didn't become a Christian and the next day wake up being like Jesus Christ in all ways. Becoming Christ-like has been a slow and sometimes agonizing process, as I have slowly died to all that I have known and been and relearned how to walk and talk and exist in the newness of life. There has been a purging taking place within me that has been neither simple nor easy, as every ounce of who I used to be has been stripped away and replaced with that which pleases the Lord. I have been through a Refiner's fire, been pounded by the Blacksmith's anvil, and molded ceaselessly by the Sculptor's persistent hands, despite oftentimes being as unyielding as the most stubborn and hardened slab of clay.

I have been through times of spiritual poverty, where the Lord seemed a million miles away, when I could not even open my mouth to pray, but would just sit there overwhelmed and overcome and feeling as empty as I had ever felt. And I have experienced times of such spiritual exaltation and ecstasy that I have had to ask the Lord to let up a bit because I felt if I came any more into His presence it would kill me. I have experienced deep, pentrating pain and I have experienced joy so great it could not be contained. I have carried burdens I never thought I would have to bear and I have known peace so unfathomable it defied explanation.

I guess it has been my experience living the day to day life of faith in Jesus Christ that causes me to bristle when I hear these "relevant" and "hip" preachers trying to tell me how to live my "best life now" or giving me the "10 steps to successful living". These last several years have been a lesson in DYING, not in living "my best life now". I have had to learn how to die to myself first to ever begin to live in Christ. To truly live the Christian life, I have had to die to all selfish ambitions and worldly lusts.

I can say in all honesty that I am happier and more fulfilled than I have ever been in my life. And throughout this journey, I have fallen deeply, passionately, and desperately in love with the Lord Jesus Christ. I am living my best life now, because it is not I who live but Jesus Christ who lives in me. I am living successfully because I know I would be without a hope in the world without the saving grace of Jesus Christ, and it is He who holds me up and directs each and every step I take. My life is wonderful because the One I place all of my hope in is faithful and true to His promises.

So all of you modern preachers, you can keep your petty little self help sermons and bubble gum pop psychology. I'll take Jesus Christ and His sufferings any day over an orderly, picture-perfect, problem-free life. I'd rather be crucified with Christ and die to all selfish ambition than have every want and desire satisfied. I would rather wrestle with God and be crushed by Him, if that is what it takes to make me a true and sanctified disciple of Jesus Christ, than follow 10 simple, man-contrived steps to self-satisfaction and instant gratification.

I can live my life without a balanced checkbook, a perfect marriage, and self esteem. I cannot live one second without Jesus Christ.
                        My Blog

Comment

"Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." [mat 16:25]
                          Precisely. Whoever makes the things of this world their focus and refuses to "lose" the sinful desires of the flesh will not have everlasting life. They, in fact, will reap death. However, those who crucify the desires of this world and of the flesh will gain life and life everlasting.
                          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

People forget about a simple little word, no matter what they believe, its BALANCE. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I refuse to be miserable under the guise of humility. I refuse to walk around with the attitude of 'oh, woe is me." I have the Spirit of the living God inside of me. How dare I be miserable when the Son of God gave His life for me. Misery loves company, and it's not a light to anyone. On the flip side however, I am smart enough to know life is not all roses and cherries.

I haven't read the book, but I have listened to Joel enough to know that he does say that we can live our best life, even in bad circumstances. Its about our attitude and what's in our heart. Its about making the best of what you have with what you've got. That is living your best life. God isn't obligated to give me more, but why would He if all I do is grumble and complain about it anyway? Like I said, preaching that misery is all there is and those with false humility is just as bad as people who preach about life being super all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndie View Post
                              People forget about a simple little word, no matter what they believe, its BALANCE. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I refuse to be miserable under the guise of humility. I refuse to walk around with the attitude of 'oh, woe is me." I have the Spirit of the living God inside of me. How dare I be miserable when the Son of God gave His life for me. Misery loves company, and it's not a light to anyone. On the flip side however, I am smart enough to know life is not all roses and cherries.

I haven't read the book, but I have listened to Joel enough to know that he does say that we can live our best life, even in bad circumstances. Its about our attitude and what's in our heart. Its about making the best of what you have with what you've got. That is living your best life. God isn't obligated to give me more, but why would He if all I do is grumble and complain about it anyway? Like I said, preaching that misery is all there is and those with false humility is just as bad as people who preach about life being super all the time.
                              I agree with you, Lyndie. A lot of folks are under a false impression that to be a true Christian you must be beat up all the time or suffering from something. A lot of that is as you said . . . false humility. The Christian life is a victorious one.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X