Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John 1:46

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John 1:46

    KJV
    John 1:46
    46And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.



    What did Nathanael mean when he asked this question? I always wondered what that meant..


    Also John 2:4

    4Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

    Why did Jesus say that to his mom? I thought that was kind of mean to say to the poor woman what is he refering to?


    Thanks
    I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
    My Rock & My Salvation
    Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
    Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

  • #2
    "Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?" was a common expression in New Testament times. It was due to a combination of things. It had an aloof appearance being on highlands overlooking the wide Esdraelon plain. Galilee, its region, was particularly well known for being the roaming grounds for the Zealots, rebels who tried to "help" the coming of the kingdom of God by military action. These and other factors I can't recall at the moment gave them an image of being somewhat isolated and tempestuous.
    "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
    And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
    Isaiah 6:8

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Biastai View Post
      "Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?" was a common expression in New Testament times. It was due to a combination of things. It had an aloof appearance being on highlands overlooking the wide Esdraelon plain. Galilee, its region, was particularly well known for being the roaming grounds for the Zealots, rebels who tried to "help" the coming of the kingdom of God by military action. These and other factors I can't recall at the moment gave them an image of being somewhat isolated and tempestuous.

      oh okay THANKS!!
      I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
      My Rock & My Salvation
      Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
      Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
        ...
        Also John 2:4

        4Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

        Why did Jesus say that to his mom? I thought that was kind of mean to say to the poor woman what is he refering to?


        Thanks
        Perhaps it was because, He understood that she was not asking Him to behave as her son, but as the Son of God.
        He had to respond to her not as His mother, but as any human.
        Still He did as she (asked).
        [That round-about way of asking which mothers sometimes do.] J

        Comment


        • #5
          There was also a Roman garrison stationed in the city of Nazareth...

          the story in itself is amazing to me...

          Art Katz has a sermon on this entitled "An Israelite in Whom there Is No Guile"
          The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

          Comment


          • #6
            I heard an archeologist talk about this one time. He said that Nazareth was on a hill, it was a city of refuge in the fact that all the trash was taken there and buried in the side of the hill. It was a city dump.

            Can't back this up with fact though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mikebr View Post
              I heard an archeologist talk about this one time. He said that Nazareth was on a hill, it was a city of refuge in the fact that all the trash was taken there and buried in the side of the hill. It was a city dump.

              Can't back this up with fact though.
              Hi Mike,
              Nazareth was a city. In fact it is where Mary was from.
              Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth,
              to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the descendants of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
              Luke 1:26,27

              And where Joseph was also from.
              (This speaking of how they left Nazareth to go to Bethlehem to register for the census.)
              Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David,
              Luke 2:4

              Like any city, I’m sure there was dump nearby, but the people did not live in a dump.

              Archeologists (and other people who want to make a name for themselves)
              often make radical and even controversial statements in an effort get attention
              and to distinguish themselves from others in the profession.

              A city of refuge has to do with refuge for those who accidently kill someone.
              (Numbers 35)

              Richard

              Comment

              Working...
              X