• Show
Clear All

• Information Jesus was a Palestinian, per US history text

WordNetDaily Exclusive, Oct 3, 2008
    by Bob Unruh:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=76671

including link to TroubleWithTextbooks.org
    and American Textbook Council.

Perhaps the idea that Jesus is a Palestinian comes from the NT passages in which He described as coming from Galilee???

Just a guess.

Comment

And so it begins.....I cannot understand how people cannot ...well maybe will not ....follow the the Word just

Comment

Jesus was a Jew.

However, He abode in the land of Palestine during His earthly visit with us.

If one looks at a map of the time when Jesus was here, the land was called Palestine.

The north was called Israel, the south was called Judea.

However, the whole land was called Palestine

Does my forum friend have a map of the time when Jesus was here in his Bible?
        ~ My testimony~

Comment

From wikipedia.......
          'Palestine' ( Greek: Παλαιστίνη; Latin: Palaestina; Hebrew: פלשתינה‎ Palestina; Arabic: فلسطين‎ Filasṭīn, Falasṭīn, Filisṭīn ) is a Latinized name given to the region by the Roman emperor Hadrian to blot out the name of Israel.[6][7] In the Bible, the area inhabited by the Philistines was known as Pleshet Genesis, X.13. The Philistines were a seafaring people who lived in cities along the coast. During the Late Bronze Age, Philistia was located approximately where the Gaza Strip and the cities of Ashkelon and Ashdod are situated today in modern Israel. Philistia was a confederation of five city states: Gaza, Ashkelon and Ashdod on the coast, and Ekron and Gath inland.[8]

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
            From wikipedia.......
            'Palestine' ( Greek: Παλαιστίνη; Latin: Palaestina; Hebrew: פלשתינה‎ Palestina; Arabic: فلسطين‎ Filasṭīn, Falasṭīn, Filisṭīn ) is a Latinized name given to the region by the Roman emperor Hadrian to blot out the name of Israel.[6][7] In the Bible, the area inhabited by the Philistines was known as Pleshet Genesis, X.13. The Philistines were a seafaring people who lived in cities along the coast. During the Late Bronze Age, Philistia was located approximately where the Gaza Strip and the cities of Ashkelon and Ashdod are situated today in modern Israel. Philistia was a confederation of five city states: Gaza, Ashkelon and Ashdod on the coast, and Ekron and Gath inland.[8]
            Note that the name change didn't happen until long after Yahushua's death and resurrection so He was Israeli.
            Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
            -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

He wasn't Israeli, He was a Jew, a Hebrew. Israeli is what we have today, not what was during biblical times exactly like there were no Palestinians in that era.

I guess I'm confused by the hoopla over a secular textbook that deals with various civilizations. That same text book talks about China and the various dynasties, Europe and how it became the manufacturing giant, etc. It isn't (as far as I can tell by looking at excerpts) promoting ANY religion, it is dealing with civilizations, cultures and the various religions within those cultures.
              I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
              - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

He wasn't Israeli, He was a Jew, a Hebrew.
                He was a Jew/Hebrew from Israel, that would make Him Israeli(not Palestinian since Israel's name hadn't been changed yet), right?
                Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

"Israeli" is a modern day construct, in my opinion. Jesus was born of Jewish parents (well, you know what I mean), raised in the Hebrew culture, therefore a Jew or a Hebrew, not an "Israeli". Or at least that's how I would say it. I would say you could technically call Jesus an Israeli but that just seems to identify Him with modern day Israel to me.

Modern day Israel is a secular nation unlike it's biblical predecessor which was a Theocracy.
                  I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                  - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

[QUOTE]
                    Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
                    "Israeli" is a modern day construct, in my opinion. Jesus was born of Jewish parents (well, you know what I mean), raised in the Hebrew culture, therefore a Jew or a Hebrew, not an "Israeli".
                    You're confusing His race with His country. There never was a country called Hebrew or Jewish, it was called Israel in His day.

Or at least that's how I would say it. I would say you could technically call Jesus an Israeli but that just seems to identify Him with modern day Israel to me.
                    In the Scriptures they were refered to as Israelites(not too different from Israeli)... not Palestinians, Palestine isn't mentioned in the Word.

Modern day Israel is a secular nation unlike it's biblical predecessor which was a Theocracy.
                    Regardless on whether or not it was or is not a Theocracy now doesn't change the fact that the country was called Israel at His time.

Comment

I think we're straining at gnats at this point. I agree there was no "Palestine" when Jesus walked the face of the earth.

Back to the original poster and the points brought up; one of the concerns was this:
                      An excerpt from "World Civilizations," published by Thomson Wadsworth, for example, said, "Excepting the Old Testament's poetry, the Jews produced very little of note in any of the art forms ... There is no record of any important [early] Jewish contributions to the sciences."
                      Is this statement, in fact true? I'd never thought of it before, so I'm having a hard time with it...
                      V
                      Last edited by Vhayes; Nov 8th 2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: Added thought
                      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Jesus was a Galilaean...

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=146659

Comment

Is this statement, in fact true? I'd never thought of it before, so I'm having a hard time with it...
                          No, I've got to run right now but when I get back I'll post some more on this if others haven't already chimed in on it.

Comment

Originally posted by pinky View Post
                            Was Galilee a country or was it an area within a country called Israel?

Comment

Jesus was not a Palestinian, nor did He live in Palestine.
                              In fact, there were no Palestinians or a land of Palestine until 1917 under the British administration of the land.

Jesus was born a Jew – being of the tribe of Judah and in the city of Bethlehem in Judea to fulfill the Scripture. (Mica 5:2)

Judea – that portion of the country of Israel known as the southern kingdom. (2 Kings 17)
                              In Matthew chapter 2, we can read how after fleeing to Egypt to escape Herod, Mary and Joseph and Jesus began to return to Israel. (Hosea 11:1)
                              When Joseph heard about Herod’s son and being warned in a dream, they went to the city where Joseph came from, Nazareth. (Luke 2:4)
                              Nazareth was in a region named Galilee - for the Sea of Galilee.

Back in 2 Kings 17, we see how the Samaritans were brought from Assyria to settle in the northern kingdom.
                              That’s why the area of the northern kingdom became known as Samaria.
                              The Samaritans were not Jews or even Israelites, but in an effort to avoid being eaten by lions, they began to practice a type of Judaism.

That was some 700 years before Christ.
                              Over time, there was an influx of Jews into “Samaria” in essence reclaiming the land promised to Abraham.
                              And so there were those of the kingdom of Judah who began living in the area of the northern kingdom – despite the presence of Samaritans.

I suppose there was a particular concentration of Jews in the region of Galilee, where Nazareth is located.

According to Numbers 6, to be a Nazirite means to be set apart for God. In other words: “holy”.
                              Jesus was certainly holy and set aside for God, and so He called Himself a Nazarene.

Therefore He again asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus the Nazarene."
                              Jesus answered, "I told you that I am He; so if you seek Me, let these go their way,"
                              John 18:7,8

"And I answered, 'Who are You, Lord?' And He said to me, 'I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.'
                              Acts 22:8

BTW:Long before Moses led the Israelites to the lad of Canaan, God gave the land to Abram who became Abraham.

So Abram went forth as the LORD had spoken to him; and Lot went with him. Now Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.
                              Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his nephew, and all their possessions which they had accumulated, and the persons which they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan; thus they came to the land of Canaan.
                              Abram passed through the land as far as the site of Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. Now the Canaanite was then in the land.
                              The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." So he built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him.
                              Gen 12:4-7

The reason why the land was promised to Abraham can be seen back in Genesis chapter 9, during the time of Noah.
                              Ham is the father of Canaan (verse 18)

And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
                              And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
                              And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
                              And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
                              And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
                              And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
                              And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
                              God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
                              Genesis 9:20-27

Comment

Working...
                              X