Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Protestant reformation a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Was the Protestant reformation a good thing?

I think it was but to many denomations can be a little troubling :/

Re: Was the Protestant reformation a good thing?

Well, nearly every Protestant denomination is better than Catholicism. But even if this weren't the case, I believe the reformation was necessary given the heresies and corruption of the organized Church in that time period and prior.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Without the reformation no sola Scriptura and no re-claiming the early church stance on justification by faith. Protestants have the same Gospel. Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, by Grace through Faith and Justification by faith alone. The true church is where the word of faith is preached (two or three gathered in my name) and the sacraments are distributed (Baptism, Lord's Supper).

Comment

Originally posted by yogosans View Post
        It is misleading to think that prior to the Reformation there was only one church. there were many Catholic churches and many Orthodox churches. Problems were to some extent avoided because of difficulty of communication.

When I was young here in UK we had only a few denominations, mainly existing together in a friendly relationship, but as immigrants have flowed in they have introduced more denominations. And with worldwide communication so have worldwide ideas flow in. American churches have transferred themselves here.

But all this is far, far better than the corrupt, heretical Roman Catholic church of the Middle Ages, when every Pope was a murderer, and salvation was through responding to the priesthood.

Today, of course, the Roman Catholic church is vastly improved, especially in Protestant countries, and this was due to the Reformation. But they still cling on to doctrines which they cannot justify from Scripture, however hard they try. However, at least now they do seek to justify themselves from Scripture. Once that would have been unthinkable.

So thank God for the Reformation

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
          Well, nearly every Protestant denomination is better than Catholicism. But even if this weren't the case, I believe the reformation was necessary given the heresies and corruption of the organized Church in that time period and prior.
          Yeah I agree with this. Plus it made Europe a little more friendly to Jews, even though Luther himself was an antisemite. It created a new religious minority so that Jews weren't the only one.

Comment

Transformation is better.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
            מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
            התהלכו באור

Comment

Luther taught the confesssional was essential doctrine and anyone abondoning it, he regarded as swine. What protestant church has kept that?

Calvin saw a single authoritative church to administer to the faithful. What protestant church has kept that?

Luther, Calvin and the other whose name I can't remember split over conflicting views of the eucharist. After a few decades there were already 200 different interpretations of the eucharist. Is that the unity Christ prayed for?
              God Bless,
              Tom

Romans 6:2b-4 -- How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Forward View Post
                Luther taught the confesssional was essential doctrine and anyone abondoning it, he regarded as swine. What protestant church has kept that?

Calvin saw a single authoritative church to administer to the faithful. What protestant church has kept that?

Luther, Calvin and the other whose name I can't remember split over conflicting views of the eucharist. After a few decades there were already 200 different interpretations of the eucharist. Is that the unity Christ prayed for?
                Luther and Calvin did not see their views as authoritative, that is THE POINT, and that negates in a positive way your criticism of it!

Holding to one and only one wrong doctrine and liturgy of the eucharist is not the solution. By the way, you do realize that Bibleforums is a Protestant forum, right?
                Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                  Luther and Calvin did not see their views as authoritative, that is THE POINT, and that negates in a positive way your criticism of it!

Holding to one and only one wrong doctrine and liturgy of the eucharist is not the solution. By the way, you do realize that Bibleforums is a Protestant forum, right?
                  You misunderstand me, watching. Calvin wanted and envisioned a single orthodox protestant body of believers united in faith under a single leadership. This is all part of the reformation history documented for posterity.

And I am Protestant. But maybe there is deep irony to be seen in that last comment of yours.

Blessings.
                  God Bless,
                  Tom

Romans 6:2b-4 -- How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Comment

FWIW, the Protestant Reformation predates John Calvin. Being a Protestant doesn't necessarily mean you are also a Calvinist, but being a Calvinist has it's foundation within the Reformation.

Also to note, that Martin Luther broke the mold in bringing the bible to the masses, pun not intended. Before hand, the RCC was very authoritative, in interpreting beliefs and in government
                    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
                    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
                    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
                    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
                    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
                    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Comment

Originally posted by yogosans View Post
                      No, while it had good intentions once man got a hold of things now there are more than 30,000 denominations and growing daily

Comment

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
                        FWIW, the Protestant Reformation predates John Calvin. Being a Protestant doesn't necessarily mean you are also a Calvinist, but being a Calvinist has it's foundation within the Reformation.

Also to note, that Martin Luther broke the mold in bringing the bible to the masses, pun not intended. Before hand, the RCC was very authoritative, in interpreting beliefs and in government
                        Do you believe the Reformation entirely got rid of the vast influence Catholicism had or has on world governments? Just curious because it seems they play a large role.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by RCJones View Post
                          Do you believe the Reformation entirely got rid of the vast influence Catholicism had or has on world governments? Just curious because it seems they play a large role.

What do you think?
                          History has shown us that the Catholic Church was very strong in governmental affairs many centuries ago, and many godly men died for their faith because it clashed with Roman Catholicism. You ask 'entirely got rid'? I'm not very studied on today's political movements, but would take a stab and say entirely it is too strong of a position to say entirely. But will say it's not as it was. But other religions of the world are increasing in it's political muscle.
                          "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
                          Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
                          ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
                          Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
                          1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
                          Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Comment

Originally posted by whitetiger View Post
                            No, while it had good intentions once man got a hold of things now there are more than 30,000 denominations and growing daily
                            According to Catholics, Protestantism = Splitmania.

I probably don't have enough space to explain the absurdity of this opinion.

Take the Baptists, for example. There are the American Baptists, the Southern Baptists, the National Baptists, and the Independent Baptists. The Southern Baptists split from the American Baptists, if you can call it that, at the time of the American Civil War. All churches are fully independent in both conventions and it's hard to find any point of doctrine they disagree on. The National Baptists were organized as Baptist churches for Negroes, originally during segregation, and they still maintain their identity. The Independent Baptists, as the name suggests, are a loose affiliation of churches that claim to be even more independent than other Baptists groups, which are highly decentralized in any case.

*The Methodists separated from the Church of England, although there is not a single point of theology that separated them from the Church of England at the time of separation. The reasons that John Wesley and others felt the need for a separate sect were
                            (1) a new emphasis on Bible study for the masses;
                            (2) the need to take organized Christian services to the American frontier.
                            In short, Wesley, and others, did not found the Methodist Church because they were involved in theological arguments with the established church but because they felt a sense of responsibility the established church did not feel.

*Likewise, the Salvation Army is a Christian denomination. The Salvation Army does not have theological beliefs different from mainstream Protestantism, but it does have a unique emphasis on charitable service.

*There are also a number of denominations, organized churches that are not in any sense Christian. These include the Unitarian-Universalist Church, Christian Science, the Unity Church, and the Science of Mind Church. While we cannot count these churches as Christian, neither can Protestants be blamed for non-Christian churches.

While I'm at it on the subject of “Protestantism = Splitmania” …

"The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America was formed in 1988 by a merger of the American Lutheran Church, the Lutheran Church in America, and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches."
                            Source: World Book under Lutherans

This was a merger of three separate Lutheran churches. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is abbreviated as ELCA, and there is one within walking distance of my home.

"United Methodist Church is the largest Methodist denomination in the United States.* It was formed in 1968 through a union of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church.*"
                            Source: World Book under Methodists

In fact, I know a woman who was a member of the Evengelical United Brethren Church as a child and is now a member of the United Methodist Church.

"Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), pronounced prehz buh TIHR ee uhn, is the largest Presbyterian denomination in the United States.* It was formed in 1983 through a union of the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. and the Presbyterian Church in the United States."
                            Source: World Book under Presbyterians

In 1827, the Quakers in the US had a separation between "orthodox" and Hicksites, followers of Elias Hicks. In March of 1955 the separation was formally ended at the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.
                            Source: Encyclopedia Americana, 1998

Contrary to Catholic propaganda, most of the large, conspicuous denominations in the United States have been through MERGERS, not splits, since 1950.

Comment

I am not Catholic and Protestantism does mean splitmania

Comment

Working...
                              X