Any ideas about this verse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas about this verse?

"We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work.
    John 9:4

I get the first part.
    What or when is the night when no one can work?

Context:
    As He passed by, He saw a man blind from birth.
    And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?"
    Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.
    "We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work.
    "While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world."
    When He had said this, He spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and applied the clay to his eyes,
    and said to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam" (which is translated, Sent). So he went away and washed, and came back seeing.
    John 9:1-7 NASB

Ever heard of the dark ages? From the 5th century the true church was forced underground and fled into the wilderness for over a thousand years. The light of God's word was virtually extinguished from a vast portion of the earth and tradition and falsehood was taught in it's place. The reformation brought back the light of God's word and truth again began to be understood. Bible societies increased as did missionary endeavors worldwide. And today, particularly in the third world, it can be truly said again that 'greater works than these ' are being done.
    Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and
    rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard H View Post

I get the first part.

Context:
      And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?"
      Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.
      When He had said this, He spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and applied the clay to his eyes,
      and said to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam" (which is translated, Sent). So he went away and washed, and came back seeing.
      Jesus is telling the disciples that he will soon be gone from them, so they must work quickly in the ministry, while he is still alive.

Of course the disciples did not understand Jesus, because they thought he was going to be around until he died as an old man reigning as king.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamplighter View Post
        Jesus is telling the disciples that he will soon be gone from them, so they must work quickly in the ministry, while he is still alive.

Of course the disciples did not understand Jesus, because they thought he was going to be around until he died as an old man reigning as king.
        The next verse does suggest that.

But He said no one could work.

I was thinking this might have something to do with it. But I dunno.
        And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb.
        The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it.
        In the daytime (for there will be no night there) its gates will never be closed;
        Rev 21:23,25

Comment

Originally posted by brakelite View Post
          Ever heard of the dark ages? From the 5th century the true church was forced underground and fled into the wilderness for over a thousand years. The light of God's word was virtually extinguished from a vast portion of the earth and tradition and falsehood was taught in it's place. The reformation brought back the light of God's word and truth again began to be understood. Bible societies increased as did missionary endeavors worldwide. And today, particularly in the third world, it can be truly said again that 'greater works than these ' are being done.
          OK. Thanks, brakelight.
          However, I don't think He was prophesying about the dark ages - as dark as they were indeed.
          It was something either about Himself or something longer term or even eternal. (MHO)

Comment

It was something either about Himself or something longer term or even eternal. (MHO)
            Amazing Grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.
            I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.

What do I see other than the light?
            We are all blind like that fellow unless we have light to see and to know righteousness.

Let Jesus in and the light is in you.
            That they who are blind might see truth and made aware.

Else our days are fullfilled and night comes.
            No one does work at night and there is a reason.
            It is because they are asleep.(figuratively speaking. There are people who work at night but usually we sleep at night)

Comment

I get the first part.

Context:
              Greetings Richard,

When you read the passage as it is suppose to be translated, along with additional verses does it become apparent what and whose work Christ was speaking of?

Joh 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
              Joh 9:5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Joh 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Joh 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

Joh 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

When Christ became fully man He did the work that God had given Him. While He was in the world, He was the light of the world. After the cross there is no man who can do the works that God sent His Son into the world to accomplish. Now the work of salvation comes through the power of the Word and Holy Spirit. Men are in darkness because the true light has left this world, but Christ sent His Spirit so that man can still come to Him, not through their own works, but through the ministry of the Spirit.

Many Blessings,
              RW

Comment

I get the first part.

I think in the immediate context, it meant that a time was coming, quite soon for the disciples, when Jesus would be crucified, and a greater night would come than ever before. In the garden, Jesus tells the guards "this is your hour, when darkness reigns."

Then, of course, He rose again, and that darkness was banished.

I think there may come a darkness at the end of the world, when "He that restrains" (that's the Holy Spirit) is removed, and in the ensuing panic and horror no-one will be able to work.
                Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
                  I think in the immediate context, it meant that a time was coming, quite soon for the disciples, when Jesus would be crucified, and a greater night would come than ever before. In the garden, Jesus tells the guards "this is your hour, when darkness reigns."

Then, of course, He rose again, and that darkness was banished.

I think there may come a darkness at the end of the world, when "He that restrains" (that's the Holy Spirit) is removed, and in the ensuing panic and horror no-one will be able to work.
                  Greetings Daughter,

I don't want to derail Richard's thread, so if you wish to discuss this further you can start a new thread. I just wanted to give you something to think about regarding the removal of the Holy Spirit. When the Spirit is removed from this earth, wouldn't that mean that all who possess the Spirit are also removed, else how could He actually be removed?

Many Blessings,
                  RW

Comment

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too...

There's probably already a thread about it somewhere.

But no further derailing, promise!
                    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
                      Yes, I was thinking along those lines too...

There's probably already a thread about it somewhere.

But no further derailing, promise!
                      I don't think it's a derailment at all.
                      Even as a 7th Trump-"tribber" (LOL) who does think the Holy Spirit is "the restrainer" spoken of, there will be a time when the church is out-of-here - as it were.

I appreciate ALL the great replies.
                      Whether I'm of the opinion or not - does not matter.
                      Jesus said it, and I think it means something.

Comment

I get the first part.

Context:
                        Hi Richard,

Here is a link to the Ante-Nicene Fathers where Origen quotes this verse.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf0...ii.i.xxiv.html

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                          Hi Richard,

I appreciate the link, Butch , but I don’t look to the apocrypha for enlightenment.
                          I did look through the commentary, though.

‘Lots on the light and the day, but nothing about the night when no one is able to work.

EDIT: Please see my post #15.
                          Last edited by Richard H; Nov 10th 2008, 04:43 PM. Reason: #15

Comment

Hem...

I guess it's the time GOD is doing the work is day time, night time is when he has finished his work at Calvary... dead and 3rd day resurrected...

I get the first part.

Context:
                            Shinjitsu wa itsumo hitotsu
                            2 Timothy 3:16 Jehovah Jireh Matthew 6:33

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                              Hi Richard,

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf0...ii.i.xxiv.html
                              Hi Butch,
                              I stand corrected about the this being part of the apocrypha.
                              Rather, it turns out to be more of early church history.

Even before I was corrected, I appreciate your input into finding an answer to my question.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X