False Christ or false prophet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Christ or false prophet?

The scriptures (Matt 24:5 & 11) mention being deceived by false Christ’s and false prophets. Who would those in the church be more likely to be led astray by?

Would the church be likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ?
    Would the church be likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are a prophet?

Would the church be equally likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ as they would a prophet?
    Would the church be not likely to be led astray by someone claiming to be either?
    More likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ?
    0.00%
    More likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are a prophet?
    66.67%
    Just as likely to be led astray by one saying that they are Christ as they would a prophet?
    0.00%
    Not likely to be led astray by someone claiming to be either?
    33.33%
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Re: False Christ or false prophet?

If the devil wants to fool Christians he is going to send someone they feel comfortable with.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
    מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Comment

Sorry Old man - I posted this reply in your 'test posts' post.

I copy my answer here:
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're talking about the true Church (true Christians which make up the body of Christ), then I will have to choose the last option, because Matthew 24:24 says "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.".

The elect, or true believers, will not be deceived since it wouldn't be possible.

Blessings
      B.
      Jeremiah 29:11
      "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Comment

I voted #2. There are many warnings about being deceived . They are;

1 Corinthians 6:9
        "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,"

1 Corinthians 15:33
        "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners."

Galatians 6:7
        "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

1 Timothy 2:14
        "And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."

2 Timothy 3:13
        "But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived."

.... so it is obvious that a Christian can be deceived. But the final proof must be 2nd Peter 2:1-2

"1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
        2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of."

And in 1st Corinthians 14:29, it is...
        "Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge." If the saints could not be deceived there would be no test for a prophet in the Assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
          I voted #2. There are many warnings about being deceived . They are;

1 Corinthians 6:9
          "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,"

1 Corinthians 15:33
          "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners."

Galatians 6:7
          "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
          Paul was not saying they could be deceived. The point was that they shouldn't be deceived. He was simply saying, 'make no mistake about it.'

1 Timothy 2:14
          "And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."
          this doesn't say anything about Christians. Eve was not necessarily filled with the Spirit of God at the time.

2 Timothy 3:13
          "But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived."
          this is talking about evil men lol

.... so it is obvious that a Christian can be deceived. But the final proof must be 2nd Peter 2:1-2
          well i don't think its quite so obvious. it does depend on what you mean by being deceived. certainly we can deceive ourselves on certain matters, but if real Christians not on important ones.

"1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
          2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of."
          but is this speaking of true Christians?

And in 1st Corinthians 14:29, it is...
          "Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge." If the saints could not be deceived there would be no test for a prophet in the Assembly.
          certainly they can be mistaken, but that is different from being deceived. all of us sometimes need to be corrected, but not because we are in danger of going seriously astray

Comment

Originally posted by episkopos View Post
            If the devil wants to fool Christians he is going to send someone they feel comfortable with.
            Exactly... some one on TV with a flashy smile, who dresses nice and has a large church, who speaks as though they know whassup, and sells lots of books and has rallies in large arenas where you have to buy a ticket to attend... oh yeah, and they would teach that 1 John 1:9 was not actually written to Christians.

Let's see... who do we know that does this

Comment

I copied your posts here to consolidate the thread a little (my bad for the test thread).

Originally posted by shepherdsword View Post
              The greek for for "Christ" means anointed. The Lord could very well be saying that many will comes claiming "I am anointed" and deceive many. To me this puts the statement is an entirely new light. The deceiver doesn't necessarily have to claim that he is christ...he can simply be claiming an anointing he doesn't posses.
              But don’t you think that there is more to the title of “Christ” that Jesus is referring to here than simply the aspect of the anointing especially in this context where the true Christ was warning them to be wary of those pretending or claiming to be Him (and the disciples by this time know Him to be the Son of God). With the title of Christ in this case I think there is an implication of a god given authority or as being “THE” access point to God or a god of the peoples choosing. It seems to indicate that these would be those claiming to be “the” way to god where as a false prophet would not necessarily claim himself to be god but that he is god’s special messenger and knows the way to god.
              Though the definition you gave is accurate; the application as simply someone who is anointed doesn’t seem to separate a false “Christ” from a false prophet who would also claim an anointing of some kind. Jesus does separate the two as being distinct for the other (at least that’s how I see it …. at the moment).

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
              Originally posted by shepherdsword View Post
              The greek for for "Christ" means anointed. The Lord could very well be saying that many will comes claiming "I am anointed" and deceive many. To me this puts the statement is an entirely new light. The deceiver doesn't necessarily have to claim that he is christ...he can simply be claiming an anointing he doesn't posses.
              Or he could be claiming that Christ Himself is the anointed One, but in reality he is what Paul calls a deceitful worker, transformed into a messenger of light. Saying that he believes Christ is the Anointed One certainly gives him opportunity to deceive many.
              I would see this more as a role of a false prophet. Which to me, would be more tempting for “believers” to follow. I have a hard time seeing believers following someone claiming to be the Christ but can easily see them being deceived by those claiming to speak for or have a message from God (prophecy) leading and instructing them of a “better” or more “accurate” way to Christ.
              "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
              C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
              "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
              "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
              "Our Hope is unchanged"
              "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

This definition is an excellent example and fits exactly what is going on today as well as includes meaning "false anointed ones"

Most especially amongst those that follow the big TV ministries... many actually believe that their favorite TV guy is the leading voice in the world to the church today. If you say you disagree with something their favorite teacher says, then you are ostracized and considered to be lacking revelation of truth and what the Bible actually teaches.

There's not that many people who claim to actually be THE Christ since most Christians would see right thru that, so satan has to be much more deceptive than that. Obviously when the anti-Christ gets here (after the great catching away of those in the Body of Christ that are close to the Lord) he will claim to be THE Christ and of course many will follow him cause by that time the world will be much worse off than it is now, MUCH worse.

Comment

Working...
                X