Another Matt 24 question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Matt 24 question:

What is “this gospel of the kingdom” mentioned in Matt 24:14? What is the actual message preached (or close estimation)?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Re: Another Matt 24 question:

I think it's the coming kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
      What is “this gospel of the kingdom” mentioned in Matt 24:14? What is the actual message preached (or close estimation)?
      Sometimes words like heaven and kingdom are used synonymously... however, in this case I believe we are given a little hint that the gospel is more than just Jesus died and was raised. When you factor in verses like this, or even one like Galatians 3:8, I think we begin to see that the good news has some broader implications. Blessings!

Comment

Contrary to popular contemporary Christian teaching today, the MAIN theme of the Bible is not Salvation. The main theme of scripture is "Who will get to rule the earth?" Genesis 1:26-28 outlines God's plan with man, and this was some time before the fall of man. Salvation is added to restore men to this former high calling, and the Man Jesus is designated to be the King over all men. In Genesis 1:26-28 the word "subdue" is added, showing that some sort of rebellion is in progress, and throughout the narrative we find a certain Angel, who seems to be the original governor of the earth, trying to keep his position as "Prince of this world." The resulting battle, including the deception in the Garden of Eden, is all about this.

When God starts to make His move to recover His Plan, he chooses one man, Abraham, and promises him and his seed the earth (Gen.12:7; Rom.4:13). This man and his seed are followed through the bible, first via Isaac as the nation of Israel, and then via the Israelite King Jesus Christ (Gal.3:29). The bible ends a period of restoration of MEN after about 6'000 years when the designated King - Jesus, sets foot on earth again, defeats the kings and armies of the earth, and sets up His government. That is the gospel of the Kingdom. Because, the king is from heaven, and the rule, or Law is heavenly, it is called "the Kingdom of the Heavens". Because it all belongs to God, and its rule of law stems from God, it is conversely called "the Kingdom of God". This was our Lord Jesus prayer in Matthew 6:9-10.

"9 ..... Our Father which art in heaven (the source is God and the rule is from heaven), Hallowed be thy name.
        10 Thy
        (God's) kingdom come. Thy will (what goes in heaven - heavenly rule) be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

But a huge stumbling block lay in the way. Sin, and its result - death! How can fallen men rule the way a sinless God wants, and how can dead men rule? So a sovereign and intricate plan is devised because God is 100% righteous and EVERY sin had to be met with appropriate retribution. So, this same Jesus, born of a Virgin so that he is 100% man, but born of the Holy Spirit so that His lineage is not tainted by the sinful nature of Adam (or the man), walks this earth for 33 1/2 years under God's Law, and does not fail once. Having been found sinless, He is deemed a natural substitute for other sinful men, and pays the high price of God's just retribution on every sin ever committed and ever to be committed. As proof that all sin is put away, this Jesus is raised from the dead by God to make apparent that sins are fully dealt with, because if one sin still remained, this Jesus could not have been resurrected - because the wages of sin is death.

The complete work of this Jesus in putting men's sins away before a 100% righteous God instead of those men paying themselves, is called "the gospel of grace" (Act.20:24).

This Jesus now offers men this Substitution if they call upon His name with faith. If men do call upon the name of Jesus in faith that He is the Son of God and that He died for their sins, they are STARTED on a path of recovery to be KINGS of this earth. Thus, the "gospel of grace" is needed so that the "gospel of the Kingdom" (who rules the earth) can be realized. The Apostles and disciples of Jesus taught the "gospel of grace" AS IT IS NEEDED FOR THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM - THE FINAL RESULT OF THE SAVING OF MEN FOR RULING THE EARTH.

Comment

Since the words of Jesus were recorded "as is", it would seem that the gospel that Jesus was referring to is the one that we read when we quote things like Matthew 24.

After all, He does know of things before they happen.
          John 10 (KJV)
          27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
          28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
          29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Comment

The word Kingdom there, doesn't reference a place, but references a dominion. For example, wherever the KING is, is the Kingdom. Not just in heaven, or Jerusalem, or whatever your personal beliefs are.

So being part of the CHURCH which Christ is the High Priest of, is where the Kingdom is. What is the Gospel of the Church? I don't hear it preached anymore. I hear judgemental threats preached anymore.... Makes me weepy eyed.

Comment

I don't hear much about the kingdom in the gospel I hear being preached in this day and age. What I hear is a self-serving gospel of an assured salvation that serves the carnal man. Many believe the "good news" about a salvation for a continued sinful life.

But before the end...the true gospel of entering into the kingdom life will resurface.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
              מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
              התהלכו באור

Comment

Originally posted by episkopos View Post
                … But before the end...the true gospel of entering into the kingdom life will resurface.
                Is this the gospel being mentioned here in Matt 24:14? And what according to your understanding is the actual message that will be preached?

It’s great to use words like “gospel” or “good news” but these are ambiguous terms which refer to a particular message. If you were to walk up to someone and say “believe the gospel of the kingdom” would they not look at you wondering what you are talking about? The actual word “gospel” is meaningless and unless there is a specific understandable message that we attach the term “gospel” to those being reached out to will not understand.

I would like to find out what people think the actual particular message is when they refer to “the gospel” as it is used in the context of Matt 24:14.

"Our Hope is unchanged"

Comment

Originally posted by Noeb View Post
                  I think it's the coming kingdom.
                  Hi Noeb;

What do you think the actual message about the coming kingdom would be? What would people be told? If you were the one preaching this gospel what would you say?

"Our Hope is unchanged"

Comment

I would say the Gospel of Christ coming in His Kingdom. The Gospel is the life, death and resurrection of Christ, which of course we proclaim. But we don't merely proclaim the Gospel and leave out the fact that Christ came in His Kingdom. We are called to preach His Kingdom has come, and entrance into His Kingdom is to be born again through His Spirit in us. His Kingdom, that Christ came in is Spiritual, not physical, and all who worship there worship in spirit and truth.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Comment

R,

I think the Gist of our answers are similar. Just for transparency, here's where I differ in my views from yours....

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                      I would say the Gospel of Christ coming in His Kingdom.
                      The Gospel is the life, death and resurrection of Christ, which of course we proclaim. But we don't merely proclaim the Gospel and leave out the fact that Christ came in His Kingdom.[/quote]

I would say that is maybe 1/3 of the Gospel, and it's the selfish part, too, not the good par

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                      We are called to preach His Kingdom has come, and entrance into His Kingdom is to be born again through His Spirit in us.
                      Only a few have evangelizing gifts. The rest are other parts of the body that support the ones gifted with delivering the message. Too many people try to discern, teach, and evangelize who are not gifted for that role in the Body already.

Comment

It is simply the good news that the Kingly Rule of God is now on earth and all who will truly believe in Jesus Christ will enter into it. By doing so each individual comes under the Kingly Rule of God. Once we have truly done so we will seek to do the will of our Father in Heaven

That was the message Jesus preached. It was the message Paul preached. It should be our message today. It has nothing at all to do with a coming kingdom.

Comment

Hi Noeb;

What do you think the actual message about the coming kingdom would be? What would people be told? If you were the one preaching this gospel what would you say?
                          Wow, that's a biggy! Well, I don't think what the coming kingdom would be is the focus of the passage. Jesus just ripped the pharisees again, even more so, saying, judgement is sure, and their house is left to them desolate, then walked out. People would prophetically proclaim "Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord", but not before the Lord of the temple himself left the house/temple (desolate), that he then says will be destroyed after also saying "How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!" The disciples didn't think it was going to be such a long time before his return. Going away? What does that mean? The entire chapter says "long time" even the phrase "gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world". There's lots of prophecy about the Messianic Kingdom to produce imagery in every ones mind, but IMO the point of the verse is this, "and then the end will come", which is to say, the long wait of my return will be over. That is good news, in light of all he says will happen while he is gone.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
                          Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Note: it's the "gospel of the kingdom", not another gospel of this or that. What kingdom? The everlasting kingdom. Babylon falls, The Kingdom comes.

Comment

Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
                            Rom 14:18 For the one serving Christ in these things is pleasing to God, and approved by men.

It is best described when contrasted with what it is not. Not the outward appearance, but the inner reality.

1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

Kingdom living is true religion, and the gospel is its bold declaration. Not in word, but in power. Those walking in the Spirit's power can discern when another is merely "talking in the Spirit".

1Co 4:18 As to my not coming to you now, some were puffed up.
                            1Co 4:19 But if the Lord wills, I will come to you shortly. And I will not know the word of those who have been puffed up, but the power.

Accordingly, those responding to this gospel can make no cheap profession of faith. The true spiritual kingdom of which Christ is the Head is powerful, for God has chosen Christ to be His power.
                            This power through the indwelling Holy Spirit that empowers members of Christ's body to overcome sin and its effects, is the message being preached. And when that Word is faithfully preached in power, signs will follow.

Repent, turn away from sin, and awaken to a newness of life. A new life of power over death, sin, and all wickedness.

John 6:63 It is the Spirit that gives life. The flesh does not profit, nothing! The Words which I speak to you are spirit and are life.

1Th 1:5 For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance, even as you know what kind we were among you for your sake.

The gospel of the kingdom is in the power of God's righteousness, peace and joy, abiding in Christ Jesus the True Vine.

Comment

I believe we see Peter preaching the gospel of the kingdom in Acts 2. Using prophetic language to preach Jesus. Billy Graham and just about any evangelist does the same thing. John the baptist in a way preached this. "Repent for the kingdom of God is near." Jesus is coming, repent. The gospel of peace, The Prince of Peace, there will be no lasting or true peace until Jesus comes. He is the "Prince of Peace." "Shod your feet with the gospel of peace."

The Jahovah Wittnesses follow the instructions and do this very well. Their whole evangelism really revolves around the growing problems of the world and the answer being the watch tower society. We who believe Jesus is the Son of God and is not "forever dead" but alive and sitting at the right hand of the Father have the true gospel and discuss prophecy, unfortunately much of the time, like digits on a black board.

Preaching the gospel of the kingdom is using the reality of the world to preach the truth of the Word. The only answer is Jesus. Peter using the events of Pentecost preached connecting it to Joel and preached the gospel, Jesus and Him crucified and raised from the dead. Jesus and Him crucified Him resurrected and Him coming again.

Comment

Working...
                              X