Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opposite messages from the Holy Spirit ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opposite messages from the Holy Spirit ?

    Why does the Holy Spirit lead the disciples in Tyre to tell Paul not to go to Jerusalem, yet He compels Paul to go??


    NLT Act 20:22 "And now I am going to Jerusalem, drawn there irresistibly by the Holy Spirit, not knowing what awaits me,

    NKJV Act 20:22 "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there,

    ````````````````````````````

    NLT Act 21:4 We went ashore, found the local believers, and stayed with them a week. These disciples prophesied through the Holy Spirit that Paul should not go on to Jerusalem.

    NKJV Act 21:4 And finding disciples, we stayed there seven days. They told Paul through the Spirit not to go up to Jerusalem.


    Why would the Holy Spirit tell the disciples that Paul shouldn't go, when we know that Paul was meant to go to Jerusalem ??


    NTL Act 22:21 "But the Lord said to me, `Leave Jerusalem, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles!' "

    NKJV Acts 22:21 "Then He said to me, 'Depart, for I will send you far from here to the Gentiles.'"

    this has me stumped, so help would be appreciated. Thanks
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

    The Lifehouse Skit

  • #2
    Does no one even have a thought about these scriptures? I've thought about them and prayed about them since yesterday morning, and now it seems my thoughts are just going round in circles They just dont make any sense, yet it seems to be a very important subject.
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

    The Lifehouse Skit

    Comment


    • #3
      Facts

      It's about that, it's it. Paul is suppose to go to Jerusalem to fulfill his
      vow just as Samson and the LORD Jesus Christ. The disciples knew it will be dangerous but Paul knew about it.

      Judges 13

      2 A certain man of Zorah, named Manoah, from the clan of the Danites, had a wife who was sterile and remained childless. 3 The angel of the LORD appeared to her and said, "You are sterile and childless, but you are going to conceive and have a son. 4 Now see to it that you drink no wine or other fermented drink and that you do not eat anything unclean, 5 because you will conceive and give birth to a son. No razor may be used on his head, because the boy is to be a Nazirite, set apart to God from birth, and he will begin the deliverance of Israel from the hands of the Philistines."

      SINCE, http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...r=9&version=31, HE HAD TO FINISH HIS RACE....http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...ontext=chapter

      Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
      Why does the Holy Spirit lead the disciples in Tyre to tell Paul not to go to Jerusalem, yet He compels Paul to go??

      NLT Act 20:22 "And now I am going to Jerusalem, drawn there irresistibly by the Holy Spirit, not knowing what awaits me,

      NKJV Act 20:22 "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there,

      ````````````````````````````

      NLT Act 21:4 We went ashore, found the local believers, and stayed with them a week. These disciples prophesied through the Holy Spirit that Paul should not go on to Jerusalem.

      NKJV Act 21:4 And finding disciples, we stayed there seven days. They told Paul through the Spirit not to go up to Jerusalem.


      Why would the Holy Spirit tell the disciples that Paul shouldn't go, when we know that Paul was meant to go to Jerusalem ??


      NTL Act 22:21 "But the Lord said to me, `Leave Jerusalem, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles!' "

      NKJV Acts 22:21 "Then He said to me, 'Depart, for I will send you far from here to the Gentiles.'"

      this has me stumped, so help would be appreciated. Thanks
      Last edited by Kudo Shinichi; Nov 11th 2008, 03:42 PM. Reason: Change words
      Shinjitsu wa itsumo hitotsu
      2 Timothy 3:16 Jehovah Jireh Matthew 6:33

      Comment


      • #4
        It's not opposite what

        It's not opposite what the Holy Spirit said but, just the Holy Spirit want to warn Paul of the coming danger when he goes to Jerusalem and the other disciples.
        Shinjitsu wa itsumo hitotsu
        2 Timothy 3:16 Jehovah Jireh Matthew 6:33

        Comment


        • #5
          There is one thing about Paul and that he was willing.

          Lets see what the man named Agabus told Paul...

          10And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
          11And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.
          12And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
          13Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

          So why does the prophet test Pauls heart? Paul had to be ready. Because there was things that Paul understood that the priests in Jerusalem did not. The spirit made him aware that there was conflict and trials awaiting.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you Shinichi Kudo and Zack for replying. I still see that the Holy Spirit told Paul one thing and the disciples another. I understand Agabus, he was led by the Holy Spirit to warn Paul of what he would have to face, and it was confirmation to Paul of what the Spirit had told him (Act 20:23) As you said Zack, it would also have been a test for Paul to keep running his race, even with the knowledge of whats to come.

            My problem is that the Holy Spirit led the other disciples to believe that Paul wasn't to go, when really he was to go?? Now it may have been a test for Paul, but I'm sure the disciples didn't know this? Wouldn't they have just thought that the Holy Spirit didn't want Paul to go?
            My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
            ------
            "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

            The Lifehouse Skit

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
              Thank you Shinichi Kudo and Zack for replying. I still see that the Holy Spirit told Paul one thing and the disciples another. I understand Agabus, he was led by the Holy Spirit to warn Paul of what he would have to face, and it was confirmation to Paul of what the Spirit had told him (Act 20:23) As you said Zack, it would also have been a test for Paul to keep running his race, even with the knowledge of whats to come.

              My problem is that the Holy Spirit led the other disciples to believe that Paul wasn't to go, when really he was to go?? Now it may have been a test for Paul, but I'm sure the disciples didn't know this? Wouldn't they have just thought that the Holy Spirit didn't want Paul to go?
              We discussed this at our house group a few months ago as we were going through the book - the Spirit had revealed to the disciples that Paul would suffer persecution if he went to Jerusalem - they had drawn a wrong conclusion from the limited revelation that the Spirit gave them (that this meant he was NOT to go) - but He still permitted that, because it would be a good test for Paul - it's fascinating that EVERYONE - including Luke - misinterpreted the Spirit's revelation - ONLY Paul got it right - an encouragement to those of us who often find ourselves a lone voice among many otherwise sound Christians who all disagree with us, especially on a guidance issue.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                We discussed this at our house group a few months ago as we were going through the book - the Spirit had revealed to the disciples that Paul would suffer persecution if he went to Jerusalem - they had drawn a wrong conclusion from the limited revelation that the Spirit gave them (that this meant he was NOT to go) - but He still permitted that, because it would be a good test for Paul - it's fascinating that EVERYONE - including Luke - misinterpreted the Spirit's revelation - ONLY Paul got it right - an encouragement to those of us who often find ourselves a lone voice among many otherwise sound Christians who all disagree with us, especially on a guidance issue.....
                I'm sure glad someone has studied this and I thank you for sharing. It makes more sense than where I was

                I'm rather uneasy about this bit

                but He still permitted that, because it would be a good test for Paul
                So you think we can receive insight from the Holy Spirit but still not understand it fully, so that you end up with a wrong understanding?? On top of that, the Lord may allow you to have that understanding without correcting you?? How do we know when the Lord is allowing us to have a faulty understanding and when He's not??

                Sorry about all the questions, I think I'm giving myself a nose bleed with it all
                My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
                ------
                "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

                The Lifehouse Skit

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
                  Why does the Holy Spirit lead the disciples in Tyre to tell Paul not to go to Jerusalem, yet He compels Paul to go??


                  NLT Act 20:22 "And now I am going to Jerusalem, drawn there irresistibly by the Holy Spirit, not knowing what awaits me,

                  NKJV Act 20:22 "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there,

                  ````````````````````````````

                  NLT Act 21:4 We went ashore, found the local believers, and stayed with them a week. These disciples prophesied through the Holy Spirit that Paul should not go on to Jerusalem.

                  NKJV Act 21:4 And finding disciples, we stayed there seven days. They told Paul through the Spirit not to go up to Jerusalem.


                  Why would the Holy Spirit tell the disciples that Paul shouldn't go, when we know that Paul was meant to go to Jerusalem ??


                  NTL Act 22:21 "But the Lord said to me, `Leave Jerusalem, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles!' "

                  NKJV Acts 22:21 "Then He said to me, 'Depart, for I will send you far from here to the Gentiles.'"

                  this has me stumped, so help would be appreciated. Thanks
                  According to the following, it was Pauls decision to go to Jerusalem.

                  Acts 19:21 After these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, After I have been there, I must also see Rome.

                  I hope that helps.

                  Firstfruits

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                    According to the following, it was Pauls decision to go to Jerusalem.

                    Acts 19:21 After these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, After I have been there, I must also see Rome.

                    I hope that helps.

                    Firstfruits
                    But...

                    NKJV Act 20:22 "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there,

                    Seems like he had purposed to go because the Spirit had bound him to go.

                    thanks
                    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
                    ------
                    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

                    The Lifehouse Skit

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
                      But...

                      NKJV Act 20:22 "And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there,

                      Seems like he had purposed to go because the Spirit had bound him to go.

                      thanks
                      Because Paul had decided to go it was like a promise to the Holy Spirit, and he was bound by that promise to the Spirit, but it was not the Spirit that bound him to go otherwise the Spirit would have contradicted himself by telling the Disciples one thing and another thing to Paul.

                      Firstfruits

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey, your getting me confused again! Where's that 9Marks gone

                        But ....

                        Paul being led to go to Jerusalem would fit because a little later the Lord tells him (Act 23:11) That he must testify in Rome. By being led to Jerusalem, the journey was beginning that would take him to Rome.

                        My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
                        ------
                        "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

                        The Lifehouse Skit

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          11And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

                          This is exactly what happened to Paul when he went up.
                          I don't think anyone err'ed here. They simply wanted Paul to go elsewhere and not up to Jerusalem. Personaly I think they did exactly what they were supposed to do in order to help prepare Paul for what he faced. As soon as he went up they bound him in chains and the Gentiles came in and put him in a trial.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zack702 View Post
                            11And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

                            This is exactly what happened to Paul when he went up.
                            I don't think anyone err'ed here. They simply wanted Paul to go elsewhere and not up to Jerusalem. Personaly I think they did exactly what they were supposed to do in order to help prepare Paul for what he faced. As soon as he went up they bound him in chains and the Gentiles came in and put him in a trial.
                            I agree with you. I never had a problem with Agabus since that was only confirming what Paul indeed would go through. It was the other disciples that was my problem
                            My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
                            ------
                            "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

                            The Lifehouse Skit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
                              Hey, your getting me confused again! Where's that 9Marks gone

                              But ....

                              Paul being led to go to Jerusalem would fit because a little later the Lord tells him (Act 23:11) That he must testify in Rome. By being led to Jerusalem, the journey was beginning that would take him to Rome.

                              Jesus does not say that he was led but that he had testified in Jerusalem.

                              Acts 23:11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.

                              You could say that Pauls desire to go to Jerusalem led him to go.

                              After Paul had purposed to go a prophet was sent to tell Paul and the Disciples what would happen to Paul by Going to Jerusalem, Paul was then even more determined to go.

                              Acts 21:13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

                              God bless you!

                              Firstfruits

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X