Sanctification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanctification

What are your thoughts on sanctification?

1 Thessalonians 4:3 - For this is the will of God, even your sanctification.

My simple overview:

My spirit is sanctified instantaneously at the new birth.
    My soul (mind, will and emotions) is sanctified progressively.
    My body will be sanctified in the future.

1 Thes. 5:23

(I'm not looking for a debate on the difference between spirit and soul.)

How do you see the work of sanctification?
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Re: Sanctification

Love the simpleness.

Been looking to learn more in this area.

Sanctification appears to be a 3 step process.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
    Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    1 Tim 6:10

Comment

I thought sanctification was just the process of growth - starting at salvation and ending at glorification after death?
      「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
      撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

The word means to be set apart unto God.
        Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

In that case we were literally sanctified before we were born.

Comment

When I hear the term sanctification I think of Jesus conforming me to be like Him. He is the author and perfecter of our faith (Heb 12:2).

I don't know if there is a specific formula; but usually what I have witnessed is that God first guides you in a loving way in recognizing a specific sin. Then He encourages you to seek His help directly or indirectly (i.e. through church counseling). Once you break free from that bondage there is a period of rejoicing and gratefulness to the Lord (sometimes it may take time). In parallel I also witness the believer spiritually growing. This is not to be considered a series of methodical steps; but generally the cycle.

This is a life long process and its outcome is clearly visible by looking back in life to see the impact. The believer can then witness the wonderful ways he has been transformed to becoming like Christ. This is turn motivates the believer to walk closer with the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
              In that case we were literally sanctified before we were born.
              Called but not set apart in the sense of sanctification.

Comment

That about sums it up nicely

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post

My simple overview:

Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Called but not set apart in the sense of sanctification.
                  How is being predestined different from being set apart?

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
                    How is being predestined different from being set apart?
                    The setting apart requires my obedience; the predestination does not. At least in my theology.

Comment

Sanctification means setting apart as holy unto God.

It is done by the Holy Ghost by means of blood, or by offering of the body of the Lord Jesus Christ, or the faith of God, or prayer, and/or the power or glory of God.
                      Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comment

The word means to be set apart unto God.
                        How strange that I find this thread right after saying in another one that I've never really understood what sanctified means when men say it!
                        So the word "sanctified" and the word "holy" mean the same thing?? Geesh, I was making it harder than it had to be to understand? That's so unlike me...

Comment

My simple overview:

I see it along these lines. Did you want to discuss and explore it? Or did you want to just leave the simple outline without filling it out?
                          Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                            I see it along these lines. Did you want to discuss and explore it? Or did you want to just leave the simple outline without filling it out?
                            I'm open... It's interesting that some churches see sanctification as a separate and distinct work of grace that happens instantaneously at some point after salvation. They actually count those who were "sanctified" in revival meetings.

Comment

I certainly see initial sanctification in which we are "set apart" in standing before God postionally in Christ. 1 Corinthians 6:11 - Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 1:2 - To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus.. Yet I also see progressive ongoing sanctification in which the reality of that holiness becomes more and more evident in our actions, words, thoughts, attitudes, and motives. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-4, - For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor. Hebrews 10:14 - For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. So becoming washed, sanctified and justified in Christ is a one time event, yet abstaining from sexual immorality is not a one time event. Here is how I see it. The believer possess a positional, judicial standing of righteousness in Christ (sanctified, set apart) and, second, a remaining need for practical, progressive holiness to grow and mature in Christ (ongoing sanctification).
                              Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X