Does He Have A Shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does He Have A Shape?

We know that God the Father is a Spirit (John 4:24); do you believe that He has a shape?
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Re: Does He Have A Shape?

a rhombus, definitely a rhombus.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
      a rhombus, definitely a rhombus.
      Thanks for playing
      Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
        We know that God the Father is a Spirit (John 4:24); do you believe that He has a shape?

What about something like this?

Exodus 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
        22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
        23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

The Hebrew word for 'part' is 'achowr', and is also used in the following passage, which demonstrates according to context, the sense can sometimes mean something literal and clearly visible.

1 Ki 7:25 It stood upon twelve oxen, three looking toward the north, and three looking toward the west, and three looking toward the south, and three looking toward the east: and the sea [was set] above upon them, and all their hinder parts(achow) [were] inward.

Even though this has to do with 1 Kings 7:14, this work was still something literal that could be seen, as pertaining to...all their hinder parts(achow) [were] inward.
        In the same way then, it is only logical that Moses saw something literal about God in Exodus 33, the fact he was shown His back parts, but not His face as well. If Moses saw nothing literal, then why also say.. but my face shall not be seen? That would seem redundant to make mention of this if nothing about God is literal or even visible.

Comment

Why does this thread remind me of Max Frost and the Troopers?
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
            Why does this thread remind me of Max Frost and the Troopers?
            I have no clue who Max Frost and the Troopers even is? As to this thread, I was under the impression CBH's OP was a serious question. I for one tried to at least provide a serious answer. That doesn't mean folks might agree with my answer, but still it was a serious answer nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
              I have no clue who Max Frost and the Troopers even is? As to this thread, I was under the impression CBH's OP was a serious question. I for one tried to at least provide a serious answer. That doesn't mean folks might agree with my answer, but still it was a serious answer nonetheless.
              Serious indeed.

Comment

I believe, in fact, that the Father does have a shape. Jesus, Himself, said so in John chapter 5:

John 5:37
                And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Comment

Well, Moses saw His back...
                  Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

I believe, in fact, that the Father does have a shape. Jesus, Himself, said so in John chapter 5:

John 5:37
                    And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
                    what we have to take into account are two factors, firstly the limit of human language (how do you describe a spirit) and secondly that God appeared in many shapes.

To Abraham He appeared as a man. Abraham saw 'His shape'. But he did not really see the shape of God, just one of the shapes that He took on in His revelation of Himself to man.

To Moses He appeared as fire in a burning bush that was not consumed.To Israel He appeared as fire, and as a storm. The same with Ezekiel. Fire was a good symbol for it revealed that He was light, that He appeared in flaming judgment, that He was untouchable and unlimited, and constantly changing, and so on. To Isaiah He was indescribable.

Note that in Exodus 33 Moses was to see His glory. This suggests appearance as fire. But Moses was not to see His full glory. Hence he only saw the fire trails.

Jesus was not saying that God had One shape. He was pointing out that they had not seen Him in any of His shapes. Abraham had heard His voice and seen His shape (in human form). Israel had heard His voice and seen His shape (as fire). Moses had heard His voice and seen His shape in seeing His glorious fire. But none of these limit God to a particular shape. If Solomon could say, 'even the Heaven of heavens cannot contain you, how much less this house that I have built, how much more is that true of a 'shape'?
                    What shape could be omnipresent?

Comment

Originally posted by petrobb View Post

Jesus was not saying that God had One shape. He was pointing out that they had not seen Him in any of His shapes.
                      I'm not discounting some of the things you said; however, the above is NOT what Jesus said. It's an interpretation.

Comment

I'm not discounting some of the things you said; however, the above is NOT what Jesus said. It's an interpretation.
                        true and whatever you say will be an interpretation.

When reading about spiritual things we have to 'interpret' in the light of other Scripture. Jesus almost certainly had Moses in mind.

the 'shape' He was speaking of was His 'shape' on the mount (Deut 5.23-26)

Comment

In Genesis, when God makes man, He makes man in His own image, tselem in Hebrew. Though we treat that word as if "character attributes, Tselem means, "mirrored reflection, likeness, semblance, resemblance." Adam looked at least to some degree, like the one who made Him. Now God is a Spirit, but at least within Himself, He had a form in mind, that was HIS, and I think He kept it hidden. When Paul writes that "God was manifested in the flesh, SEEN BY ANGELS," we often focus on the former and not the latter. It is saying, even the angels had not "SEEN" that form yet. Yes God took form at various times, but "His own image" He preserved, hid, until He revealed it in His son. For IN HIM, Paul wrote, dwelt the fulness of the Godhead bodily. The Son even called, "THE IMAGE of the invisible God." Not AN image, but "the" image, the same that he patterned Adam after. The second Adam, one might say, was the exact pattern that the first Adam was made after. But why keep it secret? Well, to fool the Adversary... for if the princes of this world had only known, they would not have crucified Him! Known what? Known WHO they were putting to death, for in doing so they sealed their own fate.

Comment

Originally posted by LandShark View Post
                            In Genesis, when God makes man, He makes man in His own image, tselem in Hebrew. Though we treat that word as if "character attributes, Tselem means, "mirrored reflection, likeness, semblance, resemblance." Adam looked at least to some degree, like the one who made Him. Now God is a Spirit, but at least within Himself, He had a form in mind, that was HIS, and I think He kept it hidden. When Paul writes that "God was manifested in the flesh, SEEN BY ANGELS," we often focus on the former and not the latter. It is saying, even the angels had not "SEEN" that form yet. Yes God took form at various times, but "His own image" He preserved, hid, until He revealed it in His son. For IN HIM, Paul wrote, dwelt the fulness of the Godhead bodily. The Son even called, "THE IMAGE of the invisible God." Not AN image, but "the" image, the same that he patterned Adam after. The second Adam, one might say, was the exact pattern that the first Adam was made after. But why keep it secret? Well, to fool the Adversary... for if the princes of this world had only known, they would not have crucified Him! Known what? Known WHO they were putting to death, for in doing so they sealed their own fate.
                            This makes sense to me!
                            Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by LandShark View Post
                              of course that assumes that we were made in the image of God and not in the image of haelohim (the angels). No physical thing could really be in the image of God as such. The writer was using human language in order to indicate that we were made as spiritual beings within a body. we were the only beings on earth who could have spiritual contact with God. Just ask yourself, if God has one specific shape why so many different manifestations? It was the glory of YHWH that fell on the Tabernacle not a human-like body.

No man has seen God at any time. We need to beware lest in our sophistication we limit God. Note 1 TIM 6.16. Whom no man HAS SEEN or can see

Comment

Working...
                              X