Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Solomon's words still in affect today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Solomon's words still in affect today?

Eccleasiates 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Are Solomon's words still in affect today ? The answer for me is yes.
    Last edited by Protective Angel; Aug 30th 2014, 12:54 AM. Reason: Add
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
    Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    1 Tim 6:10

Re: Are Solomon's words still in affect today?

Originally posted by Protective Angel View Post
    Eccleasiates 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Are Solomon's words still in affect today ?
    Absolutely. And it should speak volumes to Jews and other non-Christians that this is the same essential message inherent in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

Comment

Yes, and that is why He took the just punishment due us.
      「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
      撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Everything has a time and a place. We cannot correctly take things from the past and always apply them exactly as they were intended in the past and apply them for today, or the future. If you believe this means we must keep all commandments including ones that have been either fulfilled or done away with in favor of a newer replacement, then I believe that would be in error.

I would say yes, but only with proper understanding taking the changes the new covenant brought into that understanding.
        James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

I agree with ewq1938. The expectations of the Jew before Christ were different to the Christian looking back to John 20:22 where the Holy Spirit is breathed into the spirit of man to effect the new birth. The Jew looks for the fulfillment of the promise to Abraham and the promises of the Law. The Good Land, long life, big harvests, safety from foes and disaster and fame as the leading nation is what he aspires to. Thus, Ecclesiastes paints the limitations of a man looking for these things. The best a man under these promises can do is enjoy all these things, but at the end, the grave waits, and money, fame, long life and health all end. Thus, it is all vanity.

The Christian looks to far greater things. He may expect earthly blessing, but his view is on the Kingdom of the Heavens. His portion may be short life due to martyrdom. He may have health but nothing is guaranteed. Sickness and feebleness are the portion of many of the Lord's most diligent servants like Timothy and Paul. He may enjoy a measure of safety, but he must be prepared for danger in spreading the gospel. The Christian looks to the following;
          • Eternal life - having it now after rebirth and enjoying this life in the coming (future) Kingdom
          • Rewards stored in heaven - not in a barn
          • Rewards collected at resurrection - not now in this life
          • Fruit meet for God - not for man
          • Being transformed into the image of Christ
          • Keeping the Law of "life" in Christ Jesus - not that of Moses
          • Resurrection in the likeness of Christ - that is, celestial glory - not terrestrial

I personally think that the last verses of Ecclesiastes are a testimony of the wealth of keeping the Law, but secretly show it as poverty compared to knowing Christ. Paul said of the blessings of Law in Philippians 3:8;

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,"

Comment

Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Mat 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Mat 22:37-40 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

Jas 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Noeb View Post
              Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Mat 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Mat 22:37-40 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

Jas 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well.
              What is interesting is if we say the Law is not for today we just said, "Murder is OK." If we say we keep the 10 commandments but not the rest, we are saying "homosexuality is ok" because there is no direct commandment that says not to do it in the NT. Yes, I am aware of Romans 1, but that isn't a direct commandment. We have demonized God's law and seemingly see it as if a mistake, when God is the author which means it is perfect.

By the way brother, "fulfill" doesn't mean "bring an end to." If that were the case, then Matthew 5:17 really says, "Do not think I have come to abolish the law or prophets, I have not come to abolish them I have come to abolish them." We force the verse to contradict itself with that position. Peace!

Comment

Originally posted by LandShark View Post
                What is interesting is if we say the Law is not for today we just said, "Murder is OK." If we say we keep the 10 commandments but not the rest, we are saying "homosexuality is ok" because there is no direct commandment that says not to do it in the NT. Yes, I am aware of Romans 1, but that isn't a direct commandment. We have demonized God's law and seemingly see it as if a mistake, when God is the author which means it is perfect.

By the way brother, "fulfill" doesn't mean "bring an end to." If that were the case, then Matthew 5:17 really says, "Do not think I have come to abolish the law or prophets, I have not come to abolish them I have come to abolish them." We force the verse to contradict itself with that position. Peace!
                I would argue that the moral law is written on everyone's hearts already. (Romans 2:14-15). No one needs a written commandment not to murder.
                Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

That's the point. Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law (Mt 5:17) and to do the law and the prophets (Mt 7:12, 22:37-40), which James repeats. How people get 'bring to an end' is beyond me. Jesus was not the first to say this, so it was nothing knew to his contemporaries. Hillel was the first as far as we know. The Sermon is about how to behave, not specific precepts, many washings, and sacrifices. So if we properly interpret Jesus' words in this context how can anyone contest? The law was as much about behavior as sacrifice. We don't sacrifice animals today but we do love God and one another. It's not complicated, but we unfortunately make it so unnecessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                    I would argue that the moral law is written on everyone's hearts already. (Romans 2:14-15). No one needs a written commandment not to murder.
                    I agree, and would you agree the moral in the written agrees with the natural law?

Comment

I agree, and would you agree the moral in the written agrees with the natural law?
                      Of course they agree. It's God who planted both.
                      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Perhaps... I rather think that the process is started, the basic moral commands are probably written there which is why a Christian can scream "no law" and then honor mom and not murder! But, I also believe the process is not complete until his return because when done, there will no longer be a need to teach because all will no the Lord. And quite frankly, not only do not all know the Lord, but because people are on different levels of understanding, I think that indicates there is still a need to teach. Blessings bro!

Comment

That's the point. Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law (Mt 5:17) and to do the law and the prophets (Mt 7:12, 22:37-40), which James repeats. How people get 'bring to an end' is beyond me. Jesus was not the first to say this, so it was nothing knew to his contemporaries. Hillel was the first as far as we know. The Sermon is about how to behave, not specific precepts, many washings, and sacrifices. So if we properly interpret Jesus' words in this context how can anyone contest? The law was as much about behavior as sacrifice. We don't sacrifice animals today but we do love God and one another. It's not complicated, but we unfortunately make it so unnecessarily.
                          Thanks for the clarification. You're right, the law is (still is) about behavior, about a heart condition, over actions. The actions SHOULD be driven by the heart condition. Blessings.

Comment

Perhaps... I rather think that the process is started, the basic moral commands are probably written there which is why a Christian can scream "no law" and then honor mom and not murder! But, I also believe the process is not complete until his return because when done, there will no longer be a need to teach because all will no the Lord. And quite frankly, not only do not all know the Lord, but because people are on different levels of understanding, I think that indicates there is still a need to teach. Blessings bro!
                            Well, i believe the entire Torah is written there, just not quantified by a code. I think anyone of sound and sober mind knows at some level when they are intentionally sinning (like not honoring their parents). But its still a law, just in a different format. (I admit I am stretching Romans 2)

Comment

Well, i believe the entire Torah is written there, just not quantified by a code. I think anyone of sound and sober mind knows at some level when they are intentionally sinning (like not honoring their parents). But its still a law, just in a different format. (I admit I am stretching Romans 2)
                              Perhaps... but we don't actually have a verse that says the law is written there now. What we have is the promise of the Holy Spirit who is said to be acting as a down payment toward more to come (see 2 Cor. 1:22 and 5:5, an "earnest" is a down payment, a promissory payment when more is expected to come later). I still see Hebrews 8:8-11 (Jer. 31:31-34) as future tense... much of the work done to bring it to fruition, but no all implemented yet. See, once the Law is written in complete form Keck, how can we sin? It will be a part of us, as if written in our DNA... it is part of the perfection process. If that work is done, no Christian should be able to sin and yet I just saw a local pastor cheat on his wife and asked to be excused from his position at a church of 1000 people. He is crushed, the family is crushed, but if the work was complete, then how could he even have sinned? If the entire Torah is there, why do we see Christians defending homosexual activity? There are a number of examples I could give. We have an earnest which means there is more to come. That is, as I read it... if I am wrong I am wrong. Blessings.

Comment

Working...
                              X