X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proverbs 16:21 - Contrasts & Harmonies

Proverbs 16:21
    The wise of heart is called discerning,
    and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.

Many of the proverbs are contrasts, and some are harmonies (i.e. the first line is either a good or bad notion; the second line is shown to be good or bad, respectively, by the use of the word "and"). Therefore, I conclude that "sweetness of speech" is a reflection of wisdom rather than a reflection of manipulation.

Now when I state that "m
    any of the proverbs are contrasts, and some are harmonies", I draw this as a conclusion of what I am reading and not as a regurgitation of something I have been taught - hence the question. The fact that many proverbs contain contrasts is obvious, but "harmonies" is my own invention.

Any thoughts on the validity of "harmonies"?
    Last edited by JustinMT; Oct 12th 2014, 11:15 PM. Reason: common font size

Re: Proverbs 16:21 - Contrasts & Harmonies

That translation really changes what the KJV says:

Pro 16:21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.
    vs
    Pro 16:21 The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.

Originally posted by JustinMT View Post
    Proverbs 16:21

Many of the proverbs are contrasts, and some are harmonies (i.e. the first line is either a good or bad notion; the second line is shown to be good or bad, respectively, by the use of the word "and"). Therefore, I conclude that "sweetness of speech" is a reflection of wisdom rather than a reflection of manipulation.

Now when I state that "m
    any of the proverbs are contrasts, and some are harmonies", I draw this as a conclusion of what I am reading and not as a regurgitation of something I have been taught - hence the question. The fact that many proverbs contain contrasts is obvious, but "harmonies" is my own invention.

Any thoughts on the validity of "harmonies"?
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Re: Proverbs 16:21 - Contrasts & Harmonies

I got the answer to my question in church today. The old testament uses "parallelisms" to help the reader understand what is written. So now I need to learn about different types parallelisms to help me understand the proverbs.

Comment

Working...
      X