Scriptures that back/authorize Sunday worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptures that back/authorize Sunday worship

Please list biblical references that authorize sunday worship ...
    as in Mark 2:28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
    (( in the above scripture you could also say that Jesus said the Lords Day is the Sabbath! )) YES or NO
    or
    Genesis 2

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

So please in the New Testiment show me were God or Jesus sanctified the changing of worshipping Him from the Seventh Day to the First Day.
    Please don't say it is in respect of Jesus Resurrection that is not biblical!
    That would be mans way of showing honor, but it also is man taking it upon himself to change the will or desire of God.

(( By the way man seems to be good at changing the word of God to meet mans understanding and wish's. For example lets look at Gods definition of a day please go with me to Genesis 1:5
    And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. Not once does he define a day but six times in the first Chapter of the Bible. Yet MAN defines a day as Midnight to Midnight. THIS CHANGES TIME FOR US THRU OUT HISTORY. We see it mans way and GOD descibes and see it HIS way thru out the bible. )) So now in the first book of the Bible and first chapter we have a conflict between man and God.
    Just a thought!

No Iam not a 7th Day Adventist. But they are the ones that lead me to
    study the day in which we our to worship the Lord and what his will is.

It is a wonderful study and if you do it properly you will find it takes considerable hours (40 to 60 hours) to research it in the Bible and also thru Catholic documents and in ancient history.

Thank You for your time and thoughts on this subject and I await to hear from you on this wonderful subject.

Yours in Christ
    Sir Ed

Hi Sir Ed,

I'm just popping in here to let you know your thread has been moved to Bible Chat. Carry on.
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Comment

Just off the top of my head;

Act 20:7
      And upon the firstday of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

But a better question might be based on Romans 14, does it matter? If Seventh Day adventist want to worship on Saturday, that's OK. If You want to worship on Tuesdays, that's OK to.

You need to be "fully persuaded" in your own mind. Don't let other's dictate to you. Search the scriptures

Comment

Is Sabbath about worship, or is it about rest. Should we not worship God every day?

Gospelgeek, that is a perfect eaxample of the believers meeting after Sabbath, on the first day of the week, what we call Saturday Night.

Comment

Seems to me which day is considered first and last day of the week is pretty arbitrary. As long as it's one in 7 I think you cover the intent.

Comment

There are church services on Wednesday also. And in the older times and even today some churches stay open allways so people can come in and have a place to pray and have fellowship. Any day is good but if your looking for some kind of connection between Sunday and worship I do know of one and its easter Sunday.

Sabbath was not just a day for worshiping we are to worship as much as able, but the Sabbath is a day of rest and relaxation and a time to remember why. People go to church on Sunday because it is a good time to and as it would be most people have that time off to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack702 View Post
              Any day is good but if your looking for some kind of connection between Sunday and worship I do know of one and its easter Sunday.

That is another can of worms that we will not open today (I won't).

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                That is another can of worms that we will not open today (I won't).
                Why not doesn't it fit? Are there things about easter we should know?
                Isn't even our current date based upon easter sunday?

Comment

I agree with the Acts 20:7 passage showing that worship is on Sunday.

But would also like to point out that since Jesus rose on Sunday and we are people of the Resurrection it only seems right to most people to at least worship our Lord on the day that he defeated Death itself.

Also would like to point out that many "high churches" such as the RCC, Anglican churches, and possibly some Orthodox churches celebrate the Eucharist everyday. In other words they have a church service every morning. Because we should worship the Lord on more than one day a week.

Comment

Originally posted by thegospelgeek View Post
                    If You want to worship on Tuesdays, that's OK to.
                    In addition, it's OK to also worship on the Sanctified Day of God he called the Sabbath, which is the 7th day. In fact the rest he requires on that day is a very honored form of worship as it requires obedience and a surrendered heart to his will.

But I'll throw in that your worship on Sundays or Tuesdays or even Mondays, the resting aspect is not necessary as it is not the Sanctified Day of the Lord, and he mentions no specific requirements for those other days other than to Put God first in your life.

The neatest thing about the Sabbath is that it was created for us, as a gift, and we were not created for the Sabbath.

That said, Does that mean that Jesus was created for us if he is our Sabbath? I'de think.

Also, we were not created for Jesus our Sabbath.

That is why I think that to honor the Biblical Sabbath is to Honor Jesus.

Quite Simply, all those types and shadows in the OT that pointed to the Christ, for me now point back at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Back2Front View Post
                      In addition, it's OK to also worship on the Sanctified Day of God he called the Sabbath, which is the 7th day. In fact the rest he requires on that day is a very honored form of worship as it requires obedience and a surrendered heart to his will.

But I'll throw in that your worship on Sundays or Tuesdays or even Mondays, the resting aspect is not necessary as it is not the Sanctified Day of the Lord, and he mentions no specific requirements for those other days other than to Put God first in your life.

The neatest thing about the Sabbath is that it was created for us, as a gift, and we were not created for the Sabbath.

That said, Does that mean that Jesus was created for us if he is our Sabbath? I'de think.

Also, we were not created for Jesus our Sabbath.

That is why I think that to honor the Biblical Sabbath is to Honor Jesus.

Quite Simply, all those types and shadows in the OT that pointed to the Christ, for me now point back at him.
                      I'll go back to Romans 14. If you esteem one above another, I'm OK with that. If you or I, or anyone else feels they need to have a day set aside, that's scriptural. You are free to do so. The man I pastor a church with feels he must keep a sabbath (his is Sunday) in one way, I do another way. Neither is offended. In fact, I feel if everyone read Romans 14 and held it to heart, there would be much less bickering amongst the church. But I guess that is another subject.

Comment

I'll go back to Romans 14. If you esteem one above another, I'm OK with that. If you or I, or anyone else feels they need to have a day set aside, that's scriptural. You are free to do so. The man I pastor a church with feels he must keep a sabbath (his is Sunday) in one way, I do another way. Neither is offended. In fact, I feel if everyone read Romans 14 and held it to heart, there would be much less bickering amongst the church. But I guess that is another subject.
                        We might also throw in Colossians 2, which states that nobody is to be our judge with regards to Sabbath Days, celebrations, new moons, etc. etc. I don't want to be proof-texting, but the New Testament simply doesn't dictate a certain day upon which to worship. Now the Early Church seemed to have done so on Sunday in honor of the day Jesus rose from the dead, but tradition is no reason to elevate the principle to a Scriptural level. Yes, the New Testament states that people gathered on the first day of the week. So what? Does that mean we have to do so as well? Sabbath or no Sabbath, Sunday or no Sunday, each must be convinced in his own mind and do what he does from faith.

I'll stick to Colossians 2, which says I shouldn't be the judge of another person concerning these things. You want to do the Sabbath? Great! You want to do Sunday? Sweet as, bro!
                        Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zack702 View Post
                          Why not doesn't it fit? Are there things about easter we should know?
                          Isn't even our current date based upon easter sunday?

You bet there is. Stick around the boards, I am sure it will come up.

Comment

I completely agree. I have no problem with those who's faith is weaker than mine. Nor do I judge those who have less of an understanding than me, as we all start somewhere. I share my experience. If one is convicted by my words in anger, then I try to appease them and make peace. If one is convicted in my words and asks further, I spend as much of my time to explain.

I have a deep understanding of where Paul the Rabbi, as well as Paul the Apostle is coming from. Paul the Rabbi would never give anyone license to disobey the law. Rather Paul the apostle provides a loving launchpad for those to have time and grow to understand it as Christ intends. And by 'those' I mean gentiles who were not born being taught the whole of it.

Romans 14 is Paul, through inspiration of the Holy Spirit, protecting those new to the faith not to be discouraged by the arrogant discouragers. Paul understands, and has faith that the Holy Spirit, if one truly has the Holy Spirit, he will educate in time and inspire the new believer to understand the law as it was intended from the foundations of the earth.

Comment

I can't believe it. It sounds as if most of us are in agreement! Amen Brothers and Sisters

Comment

Working...
                              X