individuality question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• individuality question

I was at a bible study the other night and the pastor leading it said that Eve's sprit was taken out of Adam's Spirit. (For context he is a "word of faith" guy.) This was new to me and got me thinking if anyone here holds this view... why?

How could Eve then (assuming his point) have been an individual instead of just being part of Adam? Were their children individuals or only part of their spirit? Would anyone truly be an individual spirit?

My first thoughts are that Eve had her own unique spirit given to her when she was formed by God, as we do when formed in the womb. But I am not finding yet what are to me clear scriptures showing us having wholly individual spirits.

pondering...???

Joe

Hi JӨΣ,

I was wondering, if by saying spirt you mean:

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7.

Body + the breath of life/Spirit = a living soul?

ƒαяєуєωєℓℓ
    Stay healthy

"Think white and get serious"

sigpic

Comment

Hey σяєяυииєя

Yes would be the short answer.

Our spirit being the eternal part of ourselves which has the ability to commune with God being part of the long answer.

Joe

Comment

Hmm this is an interesting mystery. maybe God passed on the human spirit to Eve yet they have individual personalities or souls? Im not sure we have all the answers to all the questions but i know that God has made us all special.

Comment

Praise the Lord!!!!!! Thank you Father for loving us first...Alleluia
          John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Comment

livingwaters,

Could you please share the context of how your praise and thanks fits into my question .

Joe

Comment

To be honest, I don't know of any scripture that supports his statement. In my opinion, his made a false statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
                (For context he is a "word of faith" guy.)

Joe
                This is why.

Word Of Faith theology is very messed up and unbiblical. I suggest you not study the Bible with Word Of Faith folk, unless you are very sound in scripture yourself.

Comment

Gen1:27

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Gen2:22-25

The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.

The man said,
                  "This is now bone of my bones,
                  And flesh of my flesh;
                  She shall be called Woman,
                  Because she was taken out of Man."

For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

These are a few verses I pulled up on the this subject. It looks like in Gen 1:27 God created both man and woman in his own image.... this seems to point more to a separate person hood for man and woman. In Gen 2 talks about the the female's body was formed from the body that was formed from the man's rib. And it talks about becoming "one flesh". However I do not see any reference to the woman's spirit being pulled from the man's spirit.

Did your leader point to any verses that talks about Eve's spirit actually coming out of Adam's spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by Lamplighter View Post
                    Word Of Faith theology is very messed up and unbiblical. I suggest you not study the Bible with Word Of Faith folk, unless you are very sound in scripture yourself.

I hear you, it was all I could do to keep my tongue in check listening as my "discernment alarm bells" were ringing and this was just one a number of things he said that set them off. Hard though to go to the friend that took me and say what could sound like "it felt wrong" and have nothing to back it up. Want to have lots of ammunition to show them why they themselves should stay away.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by newvalor View Post
                      Gen1:27

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Gen2:22-25

The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.

The man said,
                      "This is now bone of my bones,
                      And flesh of my flesh;
                      She shall be called Woman,
                      Because she was taken out of Man."

For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

These are a few verses I pulled up on the this subject. It looks like in Gen 1:27 God created both man and woman in his own image.... this seems to point more to a separate person hood for man and woman. In Gen 2 talks about the the female's body was formed from the body that was formed from the man's rib. And it talks about becoming "one flesh". However I do not see any reference to the woman's spirit being pulled from the man's spirit.

Did your leader point to any verses that talks about Eve's spirit actually coming out of Adam's spirit?
                      I agree, there is no Scriptural support for this theory.
                      ----------------------------------------------
                      When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

It looks like in Gen 1:27 God created both man and woman in his own image.... this seems to point more to a separate person hood for man and woman. In Gen 2 talks about the female's body was formed from the body that was formed from the man's rib. And it talks about becoming "one flesh". However I do not see any reference to the woman's spirit being pulled from the man's spirit.

Maybe the leader of the study but not my leader. He just made the statement after reading the same verses you brought up. Contradictory and confusing as he taught the Gen 1 verses as showed the spirit of men and woman were created before their bodies and then put into Adam's body in Gen 2. Something like that.

Good point though in the distinction of how he created them in Gen 1. I am thinking creation is the key as I am looking into this. thinking Psalm 139... Every baby a creation, leading to being called a new creation at rebirth in Jesus.

pondering...

Thanks

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post

Maybe the leader of the study but not my leader. He just made the statement after reading the same verses you brought up. Contradictory and confusing as he taught the Gen 1 verses as showed the spirit of men and woman were created before their bodies and then put into Adam's body in Gen 2. Something like that.

Good point though in the distinction of how he created them in Gen 1. I am thinking creation is the key as I am looking into this. thinking Psalm 139... Every baby a creation, leading to being called a new creation at rebirth in Jesus.

pondering...

Thanks

Joe

Hmmm... fascinating I've always understood Gen 2 as a more detailed description of how God created Man. Not Gen 1 happening before Gen 2.

Comment

Me too.........

Comment

A thing to ponder....

Why would God create a helpmate for Adam, using Adam's own spirit? It is hard to have a true relationship with yourself. To form a true relationship, a second individual would be needed, correct?
                              Last edited by newvalor; Nov 14th 2008, 06:37 AM. Reason: Small Gramatical fixes

Comment

Working...
                              X