Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do christians hold to antiScriptural myth?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do christians hold to antiScriptural myth?

Why do christians, churches and pastors hold to and perpetuate a myth that runs contrary to Scripture.

I'm talking about the 3 wise men visiting the baby Messiah at the manger in Bethlehem?

When you mix error with truth - you end up with error, which is usless or even dangerous.

Do you mean the myth is number of the men or the place and time they saw Jesus? Both?

A simple answer either way would be that the director of the first nativity play thought too many sheppards would be boring so they threw a few wise men in there and it stuck.

Peace,

Joe

Edit: I know your main point is not one of humor and quite serious, I don't really know why.. it is strange.
    Last edited by Walstib; Nov 15th 2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: context

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
      Do you mean the myth is number of the men or the place and time they saw Jesus? Both?

A simple answer either way would be that the directory of the first nativity play thought too many sheppards would be boring so they threw a few wise men in there and it stuck.

Peace,

Joe

Edit: I know your main point is not one of humor and quite serious, I don't really know why.. it is strange.
      Just them being at the manger, the magi visited the young child Messiah at His house in Nazareth.

When I learned of this a few years ago, I asked the pastor of the "church" I was attending at the time about it.

He said he realized the wise men at the manger wasn't true, but it made for a "nice story"

Comment

He said he realized the wise men at the manger wasn't true, but it made for a "nice story"
        Sounds like the time I emailed the associate pastor of the church I used to go to after he gave a sermon that started out with how Biblically-based christmas was and then proceeded to give the sermon without an ounce of Scripture to back up that lie... I asked him if he knew the origin of the holiday and he said he knew it was a pagan sun worship day but that he goes along with it in order to get people into church.
        Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
        -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglenester View Post
          Just them being at the manger, the magi visited the young child Messiah at His house in Nazareth.
          Careful... are you sure it was Nazareth. Don't want to start some more "myths" now.

Peace,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post

Careful... are you sure it was Nazareth. Don't want to start some more "myths" now.

Peace,

Joe
            The shepherds went back, glorifying and praising God for all that they had heard and seen, just as had been told them.
            And when eight days had passed, before His circumcision, His name was then called Yahushua, the name given by the angel before He was conceived in the womb.
            And when the days for their purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him up to Jerusalem to present Him to Yahweh
            (Luke 2:20-22)

When they had performed everything according to the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own city of Nazareth.

(Luke 2:39)

After coming into the house they saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell to the ground and worshiped Him.
            Then, opening their treasures, they presented to Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
            And having been warned by God in a dream not to return to Herod, the magi left for their own country by another way.
            Now when they had gone, behold, an angel of Yahweh appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Get up! Take the Child and His mother and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is going to search for the Child to destroy Him."
            So Joseph got up and took the Child and His mother while it was still night, and left for Egypt.
            (Matthew 2:11-14)

Timeline:

Born in Bethlehem

After 8 days, went to Jerusalem (a very short distance)

Went back home to Nazereth

Visited by the Magi.

Left that night for Egypt.

Comment

I can see your logic and agree with you. I missed it. Thanks.

Peace,

Joe

Comment

That is the reason I do not have a nativity scene - actually I don't know many people in my circle who do. I am not sure where it originated - I am sure someone on the board does - I always associate it with Catholicism - they seem to like their imagery. No offense intended.
                Cheers
                I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, “You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself.” My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of will.
                Charles Spurgeon

Comment

When I learned of this a few years ago, I asked the pastor of the "church" I was attending at the time about it.

Yea, I agree. I'd prefer the truth to a nice story anytime. We need to handle the word of God very carefully. We can always work with the truth, it's a straight line and ends in truth but any deviation from it leads down another path that ends up somewhere off the mark. And then that is where we find ourselves; off the mark.

Comment

I will agree that there is no mention of three wise men and that the magi went to the house where Jesus was. However, I can't find where the Bible states the location of this house except that "Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.".

Then, he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity.

Bethlehem is south of Jerusalem, and Nazareth to the north.

Comment

They may actually have been in a house in Bethlehem when the Magi came to see Jesus, if you follow the narrative given in Matthew instead of switching from Luke to Matthew. Read all of Matthew chapter 2. It shows that Joseph settled his family in Nazareth after they returned from Egypt. Luke doesn't mention the flight to Egypt or the Magi at all.

Based on Matthew's account, it is not unreasonable to understand the Magi finding Jesus in a house in Bethlehem. It is true that the Magi didn't arrive on the night of his birth along with the Shepherds to see Him in the manger -- that's just traditional and inaccurate like many other aspects of Christmas.
                      Love In Christ,
                      Tanya

Comment

Christian nativity scenes, in two dimensions (drawings, paintings, icons, etc.) or three (sculpture or other three-dimensional crafts), usually show Jesus in a manger, Joseph and Mary in a barn, stable or cave intended to accommodate farm animals. A donkey and an ox accompany them; besides the necessity of animals for a manger, this is an allusion to Isaiah: "the ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib; but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider" (Is. 1:3). The ox and donkey represent the people of Israel and the Gentiles respectively in such depictions. The scene sometimes includes the Magi or Three Wise Men (with or without a camel), shepherds and sheep, angels, and the Star of Bethlehem. The traditional scenes that show the shepherds and Magi together combine two different events in the Gospels: (1) the shepherds are informed by angels that "for to you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior who is Christ the Lord" (Matthew 2:10-11). (2) "When [the Magi] saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy; and going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshipped him" (Luke 2:11)
                        John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya~ View Post
                          They may actually have been in a house in Bethlehem when the Magi came to see Jesus, if you follow the narrative given in Matthew instead of switching from Luke to Matthew. Read all of Matthew chapter 2. It shows that Joseph settled his family in Nazareth after they returned from Egypt. Luke doesn't mention the flight to Egypt or the Magi at all.

Based on Matthew's account, it is not unreasonable to understand the Magi finding Jesus in a house in Bethlehem. It is true that the Magi didn't arrive on the night of his birth along with the Shepherds to see Him in the manger -- that's just traditional and inaccurate like many other aspects of Christmas.
                          But you can't ignore Luke.

It says they were in Bethlehem 8 days, then they went to Jerusalem, then they went to their house in Nazareth.
                          Matthew says the night following the Magi's visit, they left for Egypt.

NO WAY the Magi could have visited Messiah in Bethlehem.

If you try to hold to the Magi visiting the baby in Bethlehem, then how do you put Messiah going to Jerusalem, then going to Nazareth.
                          DOES NOT WORK.
                          Runs contrary to Scripture.

Comment

Just curious... Where exactly does it say there were three wise men? Haven't found that part yet.

1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Comment

But you can't ignore Luke.

It says they were in Bethlehem 8 days, then they went to Jerusalem, then they went to their house in Nazareth.
                              Matthew says the night following the Magi's visit, they left for Egypt.
                              I'm not ignoring Luke, but just making the point that we cannot dogmatically say the Magi met Jesus in Nazareth and not Bethlehem. Based on Matthew, they went to find Him in Bethlehem and there is no mention of Nazareth until after they returned from Egypt.

NO WAY the Magi could have visited Messiah in Bethlehem.

If you try to hold to the Magi visiting the baby in Bethlehem, then how do you put Messiah going to Jerusalem, then going to Nazareth.
                              DOES NOT WORK.
                              Runs contrary to Scripture.
                              What is the problem with them residing in Bethlehem and presenting Jesus in the Temple on the 8th day? It is not a problem to place the flight into Egypt some time after Jesus was presented in the Temple but before they moved to Nazareth. I see no problem or contradiction in it.

Why do you think it is not possible for the Magi to have visited Jesus in Bethlehem?
                              Love In Christ,
                              Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X