1 Timothy 1:5-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Timothy 1:5-6

How does one purify their heart? How does one obtain a good conscience? How does one make their faith sincere? How do these lead to fruitful discussion?

5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion,
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

Re: 1 Timothy 1:5-6

Originally posted by Eyelog View Post
    How does one purify their heart? How does one obtain a good conscience? How does one make their faith sincere? How do these lead to fruitful discussion?
    I think the answer rests in a Psalm, 51:7 to be exact: "My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise." The goal of the instruction is for us to grow to a place where our heart cries for the Lord and all we do is done from the heart, from a position of love and God will always accept such an offer.

Comment

Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye no longer walk as the Gentiles also walk, in the vanity of their mind,
      18 being darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardening of their heart;
      19 who being past feeling gave themselves up to lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
      20 But ye did not so learn Christ;
      21 if so be that ye heard him, and were taught in him, even as truth is in Jesus:
      22 that ye put away, as concerning your former manner of life, the old man, that waxeth corrupt after the lusts of deceit;
      23 and that ye be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
      24 and put on the new man, that after God hath been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.

Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye doubleminded.

Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service.

2 Don't be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.

3 For I say, through the grace that was given me, to every man who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think reasonably, as God has apportioned to each person a measure of faith.

Purify your heart by the renewing of your mind... with Scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit...
      The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
      God plants in our hearts
      to remind us
      there are better things ahead.
      -Holley Gerth

Comment

How does one purify his or her heart?

1John 3:3 declares: And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

What hope? "..but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." - 1John 3:2

How does one obtain a good conscience?

In Christ Jesus by the Holy Ghost. Specifically, the resurrection of Jesus Christ brings about a good conscience in the believer.

1 Peter 3:21 declares: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

The conscience of a believer is the hub of the Holy Ghost: it bears good record because of faith and bears witness of the power of Christ. From a good and gracious conscience, gifts of the Holy Ghost are spread abroad the heart, mind and soul of the believer.

How does one make his or her faith sincere?

Faith that comes from God is most sincere. The believer cannot make his/her faith any more or less sincere than the very gift from God. The power of Christ establishes the believer's faith.

Salvation helps to keep the sincere faith because it (salvation) helps, preserves and establishes the new covenant (see Isa. 49:8).

Generally speaking, the Holy Ghost helps to keep all things we receive from God. 2Tim. 1:14 declares:
        That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

How do these lead to fruitful discussion?

A discussion, if it testifies of the power, knowledge and love of Christ, stirs (brings into remembrance) one or more things of God. It ultimately makes the spirit of the believer to bear fruit.
        Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comment

the word that keeps jumping in my mind is :"Statutes" as in "keep My statutes", and I cant find it in the NT... closest I suppose is commandments .... Jn 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

There is a song that goes like this... : " Change my heart Oh God, make it ever true, change my heart Oh God, may I be like You.
          You are the Potter I am the clay, make me and mold me, this is what I pray....."

Edit to add:
          "Washing of the Word" I think this is the Ephesians Scripture about the responsibility of a man towards his wife.... yet it emphasizes the cleaning properties of the Word.... we are being cleansed by (God) through reading/applying His Words to our lives...
          The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
          God plants in our hearts
          to remind us
          there are better things ahead.
          -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by LandShark View Post
            I think the answer rests in a Psalm, 51:7 to be exact: "My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise." The goal of the instruction is for us to grow to a place where our heart cries for the Lord and all we do is done from the heart, from a position of love and God will always accept such an offer.
            Open rep for I can rep you no more until others are rep'd.
            Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

Originally posted by Glorious View Post
              How does one purify his or her heart?

1John 3:3 declares: And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

What hope? "..but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." - 1John 3:2
              Yes. It is repentance. James says:

What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: “He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us”? 6 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you. James 4.

How does one obtain a good conscience?

In Christ Jesus by the Holy Ghost. Specifically, the resurrection of Jesus Christ brings about a good conscience in the believer.

1 Peter 3:21 declares: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

The conscience of a believer is the hub of the Holy Ghost: it bears good record because of faith and bears witness of the power of Christ. From a good and gracious conscience, gifts of the Holy Ghost are spread abroad the heart, mind and soul of the believer.
              Yes. It is forgiveness - short accounts with God, sometimes with acts of repentance, such as when one has wronged another - making amens. John says:

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. 1 Jn 1.
              How does one make his or her faith sincere?

Faith that comes from God is most sincere. The believer cannot make his/her faith any more or less sincere than the very gift from God. The power of Christ establishes the believer's faith.

Salvation helps to keep the sincere faith because it (salvation) helps, preserves and establishes the new covenant (see Isa. 49:8).

Generally speaking, the Holy Ghost helps to keep all things we receive from God. 2Tim. 1:14 declares:
              That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
              Yes. And humility and sobriety help, keeping alert. Paul said:

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;
              1 Thessalonians 5:6 so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober.
              1 Thessalonians 5:8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation.
              2 Timothy 4:5 But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
              Peter said:

1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
              1 Peter 4:7 The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer.
              1 Peter 5:8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
              How do these lead to fruitful discussion?

A discussion, if it testifies of the power, knowledge and love of Christ, stirs (brings into remembrance) one or more things of God. It ultimately makes the spirit of the believer to bear fruit.
              Well said. Such preparation of the heart makes us able to avoid offense and fruitless confrontation, leading to mutually edifying discussion on both sides.

Solomon says:

Proverbs 29:9 When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, The foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest.

Proverbs 30:32 If you have been foolish in exalting yourself Or if you have plotted evil, put your hand on your mouth.

Ecclesiastes 10:1 Dead flies make a perfumer’s oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor.
              Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
              Blessings to you. : )
              “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
              that we may observe all the words of this law."
              Deuteronomy 29:29

Comment

Working...
              X