No announcement yet.

Is there scripture that says......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Is there scripture that says......

..... not to dig in too deep into the scriptures....??
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Originally posted by ACCM View Post
    Please Help: Is there scripture that says.....

not to dig in too deep into the scriptures....??
    This one came to mind, but I'm not sure it is a warning to not dig into the scriptures.

II Peter 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Solomon offered:

Ecclesiastes 1:16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.

17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

God Bless!
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Funny you should ask this today when I think I found one last night reading a book of the bible I rarely enter. Well maybe funny is not the right word

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise why destroy yourself?
      Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool why die before your time?
      It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes . (Ecc 7:16-18 NIV)

I have personaly been seeing the need for balance alot the last few months and this really hit me when I read it last night. Many take a doctrine so far that they lose sight of the core and I think this is the main cause of the division in the church. I struggle, and have stumbled with this myself at times.

Grace and peace,

Joe
      Last edited by Walstib; Nov 17th 2008, 01:39 PM. Reason: better context

Comment

If there is, I haven't dug deeply enough yet to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
          If there is, I haven't dug deeply enough yet to find it.

It there is it is probably only found in the Authorized KJV.

Comment

Hey dancer friend.

There isn't one worded that way, but there is one that says with much knowledge comes much sorrow. IOW it can be a burden, as with knowing a thing makes you the more responsible because you know.

Ecc 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom [is] much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

See it can vex your spirit, meaning cause you to question the more, it can also cause you to be judgmental without cause in having not experience. It's not about knowledge alone, it's about living the truth. Like Indiana Jones said, "to be a good archeologist, you have to get out of the library".

Comment

Originally posted by Teke View Post
              Hey dancer friend.

There isn't one worded that way, but there is one that says with much knowledge comes much sorrow. IOW it can be a burden, as with knowing a thing makes you the more responsible because you know.

Ecc 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom [is] much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

See it can vex your spirit, meaning cause you to question the more, it can also cause you to be judgmental without cause in having not experience. It's not about knowledge alone, it's about living the truth. Like Indiana Jones said, "to be a good archeologist, you have to get out of the library".
              It can be a burden for the reasons you suggested, but not necessarily. He also says things like the following regarding wisdom:

Eccl 7:19 Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city.

Prov 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
              7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Prov 8:11 For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

Prov 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

Comment

A cup that runneth over with God is not waste, as the prudence of God is given, and not won or lost by a work.
                Last edited by Back2Front; Nov 19th 2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John146 View Post
                  It can be a burden for the reasons you suggested, but not necessarily. He also says things like the following regarding wisdom:

Eccl 7:19 Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city.

Prov 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
                  7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Prov 8:11 For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

Prov 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
                  That pretty much goes along with what I was saying. Treasure like knowledge brings responsibility.

Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Maybe that is why the saying, "ignorance is bliss".

Comment

truth shall set you free

prov.2:1-5 "my son, if you will recieve my words and treasure my commandments within you, make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding; for if you cry for discernment, lift your voice for understanding; if you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will discern the fear of the LORD and discover the knowledge of God."

acts17:11 "now these were more noble-minded than those in thessalonica, for they recieved the word with great eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."

john8:31,32 "so Jesus was saying to those jews who had believed in Him, if you continue in my word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

please do not cease to dig deep into the word of God. get to know Him and glorify Him with your life. more responsibility means more honor and glory and blessings. if ignorance is bliss, then maybe we should be ignorant to the fact that Jesus died on the cross for our sins that we might believe and be saved. HALLELUJAH THANK YOU JESUS FOR SETTING ME FREE!

Comment

"Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers." 2Tm. 2:14

I believe there is often a tendency to dig into words to the point where it becomes a matter of erudition and intellectual prowess, rather than a rightful dividing of the word. This seems to often place the understanding of what the Lord has said beyond the average believer's grasp, or throws it into confusion.

Though some things are hard to be understood, no doubt, the answer for the believer always comes from the scripture itself, in the context of the entire Bible. (I have God's word on this: "Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." Ps 119:89).

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2Tm 2:15

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints." 1Co 14:33

"Search the scriptues; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." Jn 5:39

Comment

No, but many are not wise with their knowledge and become stubling blocks to others. They forget how long it took THEM to gain that understanding, and expect others to see what they see overnight. Foolishness!

We are called to, "study to show ourselves approved a workman unto God." We are also called to, "prove all things." I would think that if one really loves YHWH, he/she would WANT to get as deep as they can in order to understand as much about the one who created, and ultimately, saves them!

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breast.

Knowledge of the Lord comes only after we get off the milk.

Peace and blessings!
                        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
                          Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise why destroy yourself?
                          Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool why die before your time?
                          It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes . (Ecc 7:16-18 NIV)
                          Never ceases to amaze me. Ecclesiastes is simultaneously the most encouraging and most depressing text in the Old Testament.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrank View Post
                            No, but many are not wise with their knowledge and become stubling blocks to others. They forget how long it took THEM to gain that understanding, and expect others to see what they see overnight. Foolishness!

We are called to, "study to show ourselves approved a workman unto God." We are also called to, "prove all things." I would think that if one really loves YHWH, he/she would WANT to get as deep as they can in order to understand as much about the one who created, and ultimately, saves them!

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breast.

Knowledge of the Lord comes only after we get off the milk.

Peace and blessings!
                            Ken
                            "The Scriptures are shallow enough for a babe to come and drink without fear of drowning and deep enough for theologians to swim in without ever reaching the bottom." - St. Jerome

We are not gnostic. Scripture is not for us to become more knowledgeable, but to change our lives.

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

Receive it and live it. There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge with wisdom applied is life.

Comment

I am not trying to get out of studying the scriptures.....

I am looking for something.... and I do not know what the word is I am looking for

...it may even be not to dig to deep into genealogies....
                              The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                              God plants in our hearts
                              to remind us
                              there are better things ahead.
                              -Holley Gerth

Comment

Working...
                              X