Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you a Christian?

Why are you a Christian?

“….And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch” - Acts 11:26.

On 29 June 2015 in the Bible Chat Forum, Slug1 posted the following comment on the thread, What Denomination? - “the last set of dog-tags I had stamped said ‘Christian.” His dog-tags are evidence of certainty: “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb. 12:2). His dog-tags aren’t stamped: “I hope I’m a Christian?” His dog-tags do not say, “99% Christian, 1% uncertain,” or “99% doubt-free.” They are not stamped “Christian Lite.” There’s no fine print, legalese or caveats leaving an inspector in doubt about Slug 1 being a Christian. Nothing temporary, nor potential, nor provisional, nor almost is denoted or connoted on his dog-tags.

“Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian” - Acts 26:28. Unlike Agrippa, Slug1 was persuaded to be a Christian. “Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf” - 1 Peter 4:16. Thus, Slug 1 has placed himself in the crosshairs of the world (1Jn. 3:13), the deceiver (Rev. 12:9) and slanderer (Rev. 12:10) of the brethren – Satan – “your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:” (1Pet. 5:8). “Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand” - Ephesians 6:13.

Now that Slug1 has introduced the topic of being a Christian, why are you a Christian? Would a Catholic or Mormon give similar, if not the exact same, reason(s)? It should go without saying that many can (Rom. 10:2, 3) and will have false assurance (Matt. 7:22, 23) but the presence of false assurance (Matt. 5:20) does not nullify assurance: “For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?” - Romans 3:3. “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” - 1 Peter 3:15.

Why are you a Christian? Will your answer be compromised by extreme physical and emotional duress? “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution” - 2 Timothy 3:12 – “shall be hunted as wild beasts,” according to Robertson’s Word Pictures of the New Testament. 2 Timothy 3:1-9, 13 identifies the characteristics of those most likely to persecute believers: “Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away” - 2 Timothy 3:5. Acts 22:19 and 26:11 reveals that the severest persecution can come from the most self-righteous of zealots. Revelation 13:12 reveals a future religious zealot: “And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.” Will you be overcome by the inadequacy of your answer about the reason you believe you are a Christian, or will your answer enable you to overcome all objections? “Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?” - 1 John 5:4. “Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men” - Acts 5:29. When you are faced with unbearable torture and certain death, will your Lord be God (Rev. 5:9; 12:11) or ungodly (Jude 15) men? “….and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth” - Hebrews 11:35-38.

Why are you a Christian? Will your answer endure strong delusion? “And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness” - 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 12. “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;” - 1 Timothy 4:1, 2. “I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen." – Luther at Imperial Diet of Worms (1521).
    “The just shall live by his faith,’ produced the Reformation!...Luther had learned to be independent of all men, for he cast himself upon his God!...This man was forced to live by his faith, for he was a man of stormy soul—and only faith could speak peace to him.” - C. H. Spurgeon, November 11, 1883, At The Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington, Sermon #1749.

Why are you a Christian? “She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world” - John 11:27. Martha wasn’t the only one to answer correctly: “Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life” - John 6:68. “Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven” - Luke 10:20. Even someone suffering crucifixion can answer correctly: “And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom” - Luke 23:42. Those on the verge of suicide (Acts 16:27) can be persuaded (Acts 16:33): “And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved….” - Acts 16:31. “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God….” - 1 John 5:1.

Even children (Matt. 18:3-7) can know (1Jn. 5:9-13) the answer: “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” - 2 Timothy 3:15. What could Timothy have known? “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:” - Job 19:25, 26. “And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness” - Genesis 15:6. “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me” - John 5:39. “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” - 1 Corinthians 10:4. The manna (1Cor. 10:3) and water were called spiritual food and drink because God provided them supernaturally and because they have spiritual significance. Both of them came ultimately from Christ and point to Christ – the sustainer of His people (cf. Jn. 6:35, 48-51; 7:37-38). The just shall live by his faith!

Therefore, under prolonged, extreme physical and emotional duress (2 Cor. 4:8-12) combined with strong delusion (2 Pet. 2), only those who know who (Jn. 6:47) they believe, what (Jn. 3:14-18) they believe and why (Jn. 11:25-27; 1Jn. 5:1) they believe can survive trial by fire (1 Pet 1:6, 7)! “Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand” - Ephesians 6:13.
    "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...." - 1 John 5:1. "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world " - John 11:25-27.

Re: Why are you a Christian?

Because I have studied many religions, and Christianity is the only one that is credible; and its credibility is magnitudes above all of the others. All other religions are a desperate strain to BE GOOD for God; Jesus taught a peaceful "God-is-good-in-us" reality. I am not strong enough for religion, Christianity indwells me with HIS strength.

Because Jesus said He WAS GOD, and is the only way.

Because I have a background in SCIENCE, and recognize that if God's creation is real (if He is that good of a physicist, biologist, cosmologist, the ultimate scientist), it will be real on all levels; and delving INTO the science, it takes FAR less faith to believe in Jesus and special creation, than to believe in things like "evolution".

Because nothing in the Bible has been contradicted by science, archeology, or history.

But mostly, because thirty-five-years ago, I asked Him --- "Are You real? Do you want me?"

And His answer was prompt, and emphatically "YES!!!!" That is what I tell the most stubborn; if you really want to know (and you cannot be honest if you don't!), then ASK Him --- HE WILL ANSWER!

And now, I am a Christian because my soul knows His presence, because the person of the SPIRIT also indwells me; He has become more important to me than the air that I breathe. I can no more forsake Him, than I could grow wings and fly. In fact, He is both my wings, and the wind beneath my wings. He is my strength and my song, and has become my salvation!

Comment

Because in Christ Jesus, I am saved, I am no longer who I use to be, and in Him I can do all things
      It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Why are you a Christian?

Because there is no other way to be saved and to be reconciled to God, but only by Christ Jesus.

Comment

Quite simply I heard the gospel and then by grace I was saved through faith. Oh, sure, there were plenty of things that happened before that and we all have our testimony but I think that when you boil it down to the essence we are Christian because we hear the gospel ( through words OR by reading Scripture) and then are born again. Those with ears to hear - hear - and then God draws them to repentance and a new life.
          Our old man dies and a new man is born and He fills us with the Holy Spirit to overflowing and convicts, teaches and guides us to new truths.

I remember my chains and the prison that once held me before Christ set me free only so that I will never succumb to those temptations again. My focus is the now and the future. And when I do start to stumble or turn my head backwards He gives me the strength, hope and absolute certainly that going backwards leads to certain eternal death. For me it is forward, onward, closer to loving Him even more every day.

The Brian that was born of the flesh is dead and with every step the new Brian born of the Spirit takes in the day to day walk with our Savior more of that old Brian falls off and becomes nonexistent. He is my Lord, He is my strength, He is my hope. He is God and my everything yearns to be about HIM and not me.

That's why I am a Christian.

“Where is the hope? I meet millions who tell me that they feel demoralized by the decay around us. Where is the hope? The hope that each of us have is not in who governs us, or what laws are passed, or what great things that we do as a nation. Our hope is in the power of God working through the hearts of people, and that’s where our hope is in this country; that’s where our hope is in life.”

Chuck Colson
          Day by day
          Oh Dear Lord
          Three things I pray
          To see thee more clearly
          Love thee more dearly
          Follow thee more nearly
          Day by day

Comment

Why am I a Christian?

Because ultimately I grew up in Christian culture and I stay a Christian because there is no where else to go

Comment

I was stoned and preparing to kill myself when the Lord appeared to me at 2 in the morning. I was not conscious of having the ability to to reject Him so I surrendered my life. That was 32 years ago.
              Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Step 1: When I study science, the idea of the universe coming from nothing is rationally unsatisfying. Logically and every fiber of my being tells me that there must be a Creator.
                Step 2: I took a leap of faith. I was struggling with my life and decided to see what happened.
                Step 3: I was blind but now I see. I've got a long way to go, but man, oh man, I have come so far already. Night and day. But I strive continuously because there's so much more that needs to be changed in me.

Comment

hi

I am a christian because i had a born again encounter, and through this encounter i meet the Father Son and Holy Spirit.

that was the easy part.

maintaining your relationship with God through Jesus and the guidance of the Holy Spirit takes submission and obedience.

this is the challenging part.

but this is what Christianity is all about

dieing to the flesh and living to the spirit in thought word and deed

peace

Comment

Because God called me to Him.
                    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
                      I was stoned and preparing to kill myself when the Lord appeared to me at 2 in the morning. I was not conscious of having the ability to to reject Him so I surrendered my life. That was 32 years ago.
                      Beautiful testimony
                      It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Christianity is the fullness of who God is.
                        ...and He is my Miracle!
                        He is my Comforter, He is the One who hears me, He is my Shield, He is the One who sees me, He is the One who protects me, He is with me...always...
                        He grants me Peace, He is my Shelter, He is my ALL in ALL...
                        The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                        God plants in our hearts
                        to remind us
                        there are better things ahead.
                        -Holley Gerth

Comment

J. Warner Wallace – a retired L. A. County homicide detective (his cases have been featured repeatedly on NBC’s Dateline), former atheist, and adjunct professor of apologetics at Biola University – wrote a book: “Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels,” which was favorably reviewed by Josh McDowell, Gregory Koukl, Lee Strobel, and Craig J. Hazen.

J. Warner Wallace made the following comments: http://coldcasechristianity.com/2014...-good-reasons/

1. “I Didn’t Become a Christian Because I Was Raised in the Church.”

2. “I Didn’t Become a Christian Because My Friends Were Christians.”

3. “I Didn’t Become a Christian Because I Wanted to Know God.”

4. “I Didn’t Become a Christian Because I Wanted to Go to Heaven.”

5. “I Didn’t Become a Christian Because I Needed to Change My Life”

6. “I’m not a Christian because it works for me.”

Why did J. Warner Wallace become a Christian? “I’m a Christian because it’s true.”

“And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth” - John 1:14. “For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ” - John 1:17. “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” - John 8:32. “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” - John 14:6.
                          "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...." - 1 John 5:1. "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world " - John 11:25-27.

Comment

Working...
                          X