Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temporal - Eternal!!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discussion Temporal - Eternal!!!!!

    We know that this earth is temporal, yet it has been here for thousands of years, from age to age, from generation to generation. We know however that it will someday come to an end.

    If we cannot put a time limit on that which is temporal even though we know it shall end, can we therefore put a limit on that which is eternal?

    2 Cor 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

    2 Cor 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

    2 Cor 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

    Jn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

    Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

    Mt 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

    God bless!

    Firstfruits

  • #2
    Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
    We know that this earth is temporal, yet it has been here for thousands of years, from age to age, from generation to generation. We know however that it will someday come to an end.

    If we cannot put a time limit on that which is temporal even though we know it shall end, can we therefore put a limit on that which is eternal?

    2 Cor 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

    2 Cor 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

    2 Cor 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

    Jn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

    Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

    Mt 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

    God bless!

    Firstfruits
    Hi FF,

    If you are looking for proof that we will live on forever and never die, this should cover it:

    1 Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
    54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

    Eventually, we will be immortal. Immortality means deathlessness. We will never die because we will be immortal. Death will be destroyed (remember it gets thrown into the Lake of Fire).

    Note that no one is immortal yet (except God of course):

    1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own timeóGod, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

    Right now, God alone is immortal. We are mortal. But we shall become immortal at the resurrection of the dead.

    Cheers,
    Legoman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by legoman View Post
      Hi FF,

      If you are looking for proof that we will live on forever and never die, this should cover it:

      1 Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
      54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

      Eventually, we will be immortal. Immortality means deathlessness. We will never die because we will be immortal. Death will be destroyed (remember it gets thrown into the Lake of Fire).

      Note that no one is immortal yet (except God of course):

      1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own timeóGod, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

      Right now, God alone is immortal. We are mortal. But we shall become immortal at the resurrection of the dead.

      Cheers,
      Legoman
      Actually the soul is immortal for all of us. That is why Gods words said some will spend eternaity in hell . We cannot die wher you spend the ret of your life is your choice. When God created us, the angels it was forever.
      God Bless
      Randy
      And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
      For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by legoman View Post
        Hi FF,

        If you are looking for proof that we will live on forever and never die, this should cover it:

        1 Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
        54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

        Eventually, we will be immortal. Immortality means deathlessness. We will never die because we will be immortal. Death will be destroyed (remember it gets thrown into the Lake of Fire).

        Note that no one is immortal yet (except God of course):

        1 Tim 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

        Right now, God alone is immortal. We are mortal. But we shall become immortal at the resurrection of the dead.

        Cheers,
        Legoman
        Thanks Legoman,

        Also looking for the difference beteween that which is temporal and that which is eternal.

        If we cannot put a time limit on that which is temporal even though we know it shall end, can we therefore put a limit on that which is eternal?

        Thanks again,

        Firstfruits
        Last edited by Firstfruits; Nov 20th 2008, 04:21 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Temporal or eternal?

          With regards to the following scripture what is temporal and what is eternal?

          Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

          Mt 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:



          Firstfruits

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
            With regards to the following scripture what is temporal and what is eternal?

            Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

            Mt 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:



            Firstfruits
            This is an easy one (I think):

            Matthew 6:19 is speaking of temporal things. Treasures of the earth: your new car, your plasma TV, your bank account etc. All these things will pass away eventually. They are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

            Matthew 6:20 is speaking of eternal things. Treasures in heaven: these are the qualities of character that God wants us to have. The gold and silver that will be refined in the fire (1 Cor 3:12-15). Things like kindness, righteousness, goodness, humility, love, patience, etc. Once refined and perfected, these qualities will last forever. The bad qualities of wood and straw will be burned out of us (ie. pride, hate, jealosy, greed, etc).

            Legoman

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by looking4jesus View Post
              Actually the soul is immortal for all of us. That is why Gods words said some will spend eternaity in hell . We cannot die wher you spend the ret of your life is your choice. When God created us, the angels it was forever.
              God Bless
              Randy
              Hi Randy,

              Yes I have heard that before.

              But why does it say God alone is immortal in 1 Timothy 6:16, and why does it say mortality must put on immortality in 1 Cor 15:53-54 (when the resurrection of the dead happens)?

              And why does it say the soul that sins dies?

              Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

              Eze 19:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

              We all sin. The wages of sin is death.

              Legoman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                Thanks Legoman,

                Also looking for the difference beteween that which is temporal and that which is eternal.

                If we cannot put a time limit on that which is temporal even though we know it shall end, can we therefore put a limit on that which is eternal?

                Thanks again,

                Firstfruits
                Things that are temporal have an end. Our life here is temporal. As you said, even the earth is temporal. A new earth will eventually replace it.

                When something is truly eternal, it has no end. We know that God will live on without end:
                Psalm 102:27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

                God's kingdom will never end:
                Luke 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

                Cheers,
                Legoman

                Comment


                • #9
                  2 Corinthians 4:18

                  18while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
                  As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by legoman View Post
                    Things that are temporal have an end. Our life here is temporal. As you said, even the earth is temporal. A new earth will eventually replace it.

                    When something is truly eternal, it has no end. We know that God will live on without end:
                    Psalm 102:27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

                    God's kingdom will never end:
                    Luke 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

                    Cheers,
                    Legoman
                    Knowing that the bible differentiates between that which is temporal and that which is eternal, if that which is stated to be temporal is taken to be eternal or that which is eternal is taken to be temporal, would that therefore change the meaning of the scripture?

                    Thanks,

                    Firstfruits

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                      2 Corinthians 4:18

                      18while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
                      Thank you Gulah Papyrus,

                      God bless you!

                      Firstfruits

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by legoman View Post
                        Hi Randy,

                        Yes I have heard that before.

                        But why does it say God alone is immortal in 1 Timothy 6:16, and why does it say mortality must put on immortality in 1 Cor 15:53-54 (when the resurrection of the dead happens)?

                        And why does it say the soul that sins dies?

                        Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

                        Eze 19:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

                        We all sin. The wages of sin is death.

                        Legoman
                        Good questions to be honest I really do not have a answer for you, maybe someone else here can answer. All I know is that when we were created we do not die in th sense that we go into a eternal deep sleep. According to Gods word we stay conscious always.
                        God Bless
                        Randy
                        And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
                        For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by legoman View Post
                          This is an easy one (I think):

                          Matthew 6:19 is speaking of temporal things. Treasures of the earth: your new car, your plasma TV, your bank account etc. All these things will pass away eventually. They are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

                          Matthew 6:20 is speaking of eternal things. Treasures in heaven: these are the qualities of character that God wants us to have. The gold and silver that will be refined in the fire (1 Cor 3:12-15). Things like kindness, righteousness, goodness, humility, love, patience, etc. Once refined and perfected, these qualities will last forever. The bad qualities of wood and straw will be burned out of us (ie. pride, hate, jealosy, greed, etc).

                          Legoman
                          If we lay up for ourselves treasures upon earth what wiil be our reward?

                          If we lay up for ourselves treasures in Heaven what will be our reward?

                          Thanks,

                          Firstfruits

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                            With regards to the following scripture what is temporal and what is eternal?

                            Mt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

                            Mt 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:



                            Firstfruits
                            Well, what is temporal? Houses, cars, clothing, food, land, ... don't let those things have a hold of your heart and covet them. Covet that which is something we cannot have of ourselves - grace and eternal life. Desire those things first and foremost which will never fade away and cannot be taken from us.

                            This creation, this earth and all things on it and in it and above it will one day be destroyed.

                            Our focus should be on eternity, not the here and now.

                            Matthew 6
                            33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
                            34"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.



                            His kingdom is not now, it is not here. Put that perspective into place, and the rest will take care of itself.


                            Luke 12
                            27"Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
                            28"But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith!
                            29"And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying.

                            30"For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things.
                            31"But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.



                            Seek first what is eternal. All else is secondary from what to fill our bellies with today to making the rent to replacing the kids worn and outgrown clothes. Kingdom first. All else, second. Faith in what we do not see.
                            Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                            Not second or third, but first.
                            Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                            when He is the source of all hope,
                            when His love is received and freely given,
                            holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                            will all other things be added unto to you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by looking4jesus View Post
                              Good questions to be honest I really do not have a answer for you, maybe someone else here can answer. All I know is that when we were created we do not die in th sense that we go into a eternal deep sleep. According to Gods word we stay conscious always.
                              God Bless
                              Randy
                              We were all dead in sin until we came to God through Christ;

                              Ezek 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

                              Ezek 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear The iniquity of The faTher, neiTher shall The faTher bear The iniquity of The son: The righteousness of The righteous shall be upon him, and The wickedness of The wicked shall be upon him.

                              Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

                              Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

                              Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

                              The gift of God is eternal life which means it is not temporal?

                              God bless you!

                              Firstfruits

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X