A Question in Soteriology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question in Soteriology

I have a friend who does not believe in the divinity of Jesus.

Is belief in Christ's divinity necessary for salvation?

If so, please provide scriptural evidence for me to share with him.

Thanks, all!
    "And He made men...so that they should seek the Lord,in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him..."

---- Acts 17:26,27 ----

Originally posted by jffl25 View Post

Thanks, all!
    Yes...

Jesus said ~unless ye believe I am He, ye shall die in your sins~. That is somewhere in John's gospel, can't remember where and I have to run to the shower and work. Without researching, I am not certain what He meant when He said "He" in that verse...probably Messiah.
    ~ My testimony~

Comment

Jesus Himself...spoke of His divinity when confronted with the Pharisees of His day...

When Jesus was being quesitoned and harrassed by the religious 'elite' of His day.. the Pharisees... they claimed to be the Sons of Abraham... He told them back that Abraham rejoiced to see His day.. they responded.. your not even 50 years old .. and you've seen Abraham..

Listen to Jesus's words here...

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Believing who He says He is a part of being Born Again.. the Holy Spirit will help that person understand that Jesus is God and that He is Truly God manifest in the flesh.. without sin and pure..and that God Manifest in the flesh was crucified on the bloody tree for the remission of sins..
      Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
      ------------------------------------------------
      Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
      ------------------------------------------------
      The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
      Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Thanks, all!
        Christ's devinity is plain from reading scripture as mentioned.

Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?"

But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.

Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ,[f] the Son of the Blessed One?"

"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. "You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?"

They all condemned him as worthy of death. Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, "Prophesy!" And the guards took him and beat him.

I used to wonder what was said that was so bad, was this criptic ?..... The high priest knew his old Testiment inside out and knew exactly what Jesus was saying ! It was a direct and plain statement of diety

It's the reference from Daniel

But even the statement he makes about riding on the clouds of heaven is a direct title of God, and the priest knew it.

e.g

Deuteronomy 33:26
        "There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty.

Deuteronomy 33:25-27 (in Context) Deuteronomy 33 (Whole Chapter)

Psalm 68:4
        Sing to God, sing praise to his name, extol him who rides on the clouds — his name is the LORD— and rejoice before him.

Psalm 68:3-5 (in Context) Psalm 68 (Whole Chapter)

Psalm 104:3
        and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind.
        Psalm 104:2-4 (in Context)

Psalm 104 (Whole Chapter)

to mention a few.

So there was no ambiguity Jesus told them plainly ! and they knew it that is why The high priest tore his clothes and said. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" . "You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?"

it is plainly laid out in scripture that he is Deity. There is no grey area your friend either accepts it by the grace of God or rejects it. Pray for him

Comment

Comment

Thanks, all!
            When Jesus called Himself "the Son of God" He was claiming divinity. The religious Jews knew this and that's why they wanted to kill Him.

John 10
            30I and my Father are one. 31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
            32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
            33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
            34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
            35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
            36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Notice that He does not deny that He was claiming to be God by saying He was the Son of God. Instead, He confirmed that is what He was claiming. One must believe that He is the Son of God, which means He is God the Son, in order to be saved.

John 3

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
            18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Also, scripture clearly teaches that He is God so if someone doesn't believe He is God then they are not believing scripture. If they don't accept the scripture that says He is God then it's not likely that they accept the scripture that says one must believe in Him in order to be saved, either.

Comment

Working...
            X