This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion "Speaking In Tongues" shall cease

What does this mean.... In 1Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God
    hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

It would appear the focus of this passage is that we, as believers, ought to hold love in the highest regard and not put our focus on the gifts of prophecy, knowledge, or tongues.

Comment

Originally posted by Connie Sue View Post
      What does this mean.... In 1Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
      To me this explains the difference with those who do these to get into the emotionalism of the experience of this gift vs. the Holy Spirit bestowing this Gift on people to benefit the Body of Christ... show God's love for us.

As people allow the Holy Spirit to be in control and this Gift done in proper order... the sensational/emotional will go away and God's will, not man's emotion will guide church worship and in the case of Knowledge and Prophesy... church direction.

Whan emotionalism and sensationalism is the means, IMO it's false and any information provided by these three gifts will be false... thus no love is expressed cause it's not from God but from man.

Also, in context all this goes away once Jesus returns. Until then we just have to discern man's emulation of these gifts vs. God's bestowing of these Gifts.
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Specifically to the gift of tongues it means that love is eternal (which means this is what we should focus on), but revelatory gifts like prophecy, knowledge and speaking in tongues are temporary for this life until we are perfected.
        "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

It says what it says.

When this age is over, tongues, knowledge, and all of the gifts will cease because we will "see even as we are seen."

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
            It would appear the focus of this passage is that we, as believers, ought to hold love in the highest regard and not put our focus on the gifts of prophecy, knowledge, or tongues.
            Exactly but this passage even tells more it says shall cease not that you need to put more attention on love and the gifts will still be there no it says cease which means they will stop. The problem is that people that are today hung up on all the emotions of these gifts do not belive Gods word when he says they shall stop. These gifts were gifts given to the early church. All prophecy has been written in Gods book theHoly Bible..people today that say they speak in tongues and give new prophecy are not of God but are being tricked by Satan. Paul new this would happen that is why the passage is there telling us about these very gifts. Everything we need to know is complete and written in Gods word .
            God Bless
            Randy
            Last edited by David Taylor; Apr 5th 2012, 04:17 PM. Reason: fix broken quote tag
            And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
            For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

Originally posted by looking4jesus View Post
              Exactly but this passage even tells more it says shall cease not that you need to put more attention on love and the gifts will still be there no it says cease which means they will stop. The problem is that people that are today hung up on all the emotions of these gifts do not belive Gods word when he says they shall stop. These gifts were gifts given to the early church. All prophecy has been written in Gods book theHoly Bible..people today that say they speak in tongues and give new prophecy are not of God but are being tricked by Satan. Paul new this would happen that is why the passage is there telling us about these very gifts. Everything we need to know is complete and written in Gods word .
              God Bless
              Randy
              While I agree fully with the view you presented, I do not believe that is the focus of this passage. The passage is focused on love, not the tongues, prophecy or knowledge. Sure, what we see today is, in my view, a cheap imitation (if it can be called imitation) of the events found in the first century. Perhaps that is why, even then, Saul taught that our focus should be love, not gifts.

Comment

While I agree fully with the view you presented, I do not believe that is the focus of this passage. The passage is focused on love, not the tongues, prophecy or knowledge. Sure, what we see today is, in my view, a cheap imitation (if it can be called imitation) of the events found in the first century. Perhaps that is why, even then, Saul taught that our focus should be love, not gifts.
                Ok I see your point I agree it certainly could be view in the way you describe it here.

God Bless
                Randy
                And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
                For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

I don't think that is what Paul is saying here. All he is saying, that the greatest is love. It is not that we should not put our focus not on the gifts !

Is it not love to heal someone ? Gift of healing !

Comment

Originally posted by Mysteryman View Post
                    I don't think that is what Paul is saying here. All he is saying, that the greatest is love. It is not that we should not put our focus not on the gifts !

Those gifts Paul was mentioning were for the early church however even if you do not belive that and just look at the passage it clearly said that all will fail except love and of course that is where you need to focus all the other gifts even if they were geniune today which I doubt, will have a lots of ego attached with them and self'pride where love real love has none of this.
                    God Bless
                    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Mysteryman View Post

Saul is not saying simply that love is the greatest gift. He is saying that all else will fail and/or vanish away, yet love is eternal.

Comment

Re: "Speaking In Tongues" shall cease

[QUOTE=looking4jesus;1874847]
                        It would appear the focus of this passage is that we, as believers, ought to hold love in the highest regard and not put our focus on the gifts of prophecy, knowledge, or tongues.[/quote

God Bless
                        Randy
                        Randy.... That which is perfect is the return of Jesus Christ. If he were refering to the Bible as being that which is perfect, Every person that hears the Word would believe in Jesus. When Jesus comes the second time everyone will know He is the true King and every knee will bend. Jesus is THE ONLY THING WHICH IS PERFECT.

Comment

One day all things will cease, not only tongues.
                          Am I truly building on the rock?

Comment

Originally posted by Connie Sue View Post
                            Are you asking concerning the tongues, or all three? If just tongues...

Zep 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

Remember, Paul knew more of the OT and understood more than most do today. Christ will give everyone just one pure language. Just one of the many wonderful things Jesus Christ shall bring when He returns and sets His Kingdom over the earth for the Millenium.
                            I've been throwed outta better places than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett View Post

Randy.... That which is perfect is the return of Jesus Christ. If he were refering to the Bible as being that which is perfect, Every person that hears the Word would believe in Jesus. When Jesus comes the second time everyone will know He is the true King and every knee will bend. Jesus is THE ONLY THING WHICH IS PERFECT.
                              Not every one who heard Christ believed and he was standing right in front of them...

Perfect is referred to in Gender neutral.
                              Christ is referred to in gender male.

Greek: teleios

1) brought to its end, finished
                              2) wanting nothing necessary to completeness

It is in the gender neutral;
                              Therefore it is referring to non-human.

Paul also lists that which is in part being knowledge and prophesy ; and states that it will be brought to completeness.
                              Thus it is referring to the completeness of Knowledge and prophesy;
                              This is the Bible.

With the Complete scripture there is no need for these partial gifts.

Comment

Working...
                              X