"Assembling Together"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Assembling Together"

Let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. (Heb. 10:24-25)

Does this phrase apply only to 1 hour sermons on Sundays?
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Re: "Assembling Together"

Seems like a setup thread to find reasons not to be active in a local church...

But of course it means more than that.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
      But of course it means more than that.
      Thanks for answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
        Let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. (Heb. 10:24-25)

Nope. It also doesn't preclude Sunday morning worship services with other brethren....nor does it necessitate that the assembly be on Sunday mornings.

Comment

I must admit that I personally like the home Bible study groups we used to have better than I like the Sunday morning worship service. I like corporately studying The Word better than I like listening to someone preach a sermon.

Comment

Originally posted by joined2him View Post
            Nope. It also doesn't preclude Sunday morning worship services with other brethren....nor does it necessitate that the assembly be on Sunday mornings.
            I agree. We have to take into context other scriptures. Such as these:

Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

NONE of this can be accomplished if all a person does is attend church for one hour a week. For a person to "reap" what this is all about, MUST do what the Hebrews 10 verses are all about multiple times a week for multiple hours. Sunday services, prayer services, Bible study, special services, ministry work both IN the church and outside the church. Also, church fellowships such as bbq's, fund raisers, community support, etc. This also includes personal time which can include personal involvement in church activities, such a worship practice when on a worship team or praise dance practice for examples. This also includes that personal time with God, prayer, worship, fasting but while this is very important on a personal level, it's also needed on the corporate level when many or all in a church are fasting and praying for ONE purpose, such as intercessory. Freeing Peter from prison is a great example of a unified Body, together fighting for ONE cause, for one person.

A question I've asked groups of people after raising the example of a unified Body of Christians, ALL praying and interceding for one man... who here belongs to a church Body that has done this for a member of their church, where ALL are fasting and praying together?

Not many ever raise their hand... and thus, many churches are clueless about what Hebrews 10:24-25 is all about.
            Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

It is the reality of an historic repetitive trend that people tend to want to interpret the bible through the prevalent culture rather than live in a sacrificial and revolutionary way that challenges the culture. The trend in mankind is to absorb the gospel message INTO the culture by making superficial concessions that put a thin veneer of seeming obeisance to the biblical demands. History shows us that when the few radical spiritual ones are killed or die the next wave of would-be believers steer a safer course in order to conform to the world around them rather than suffer the same fate as their predecessors.

Revival is needed in every generation for that very reason. Without a new influx of spiritual life into the church...and the presentation and example of an untarnished vision of the kingdom of God...Christianity soon devolves into a religion just as any other.

Acts 2 remains the expression of what happens when the Holy Spirit comes into the church. Everyone seems to want revival but who can find those willing to pay the price for it? In a culture where things are promised for free there is little stomach for sacrifice of any kind. The gospel message then becomes altered and subordinated to the cultural ambitions of a semi-converted people who clamour for more and more....while doing less and less to agonize and seek in order to find the place where change can begin.

There's nothing new under the sun. We have as a whole remained intact and for the most part undisturbed as a fallen Adamic race in the face of a direct effort by God to bring His creation into the truth and light. We have chosen survival over revival.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
              מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
              התהלכו באור

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                I agree. We have to take into context other scriptures. Such as these:

Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

NONE of this can be accomplished if all a person does is attend church for one hour a week. For a person to "reap" what this is all about, MUST do what the Hebrews 10 verses are all about multiple times a week for multiple hours. Sunday services, prayer services, Bible study, special services, ministry work both IN the church and outside the church. Also, church fellowships such as bbq's, fund raisers, community support, etc. This also includes personal time which can include personal involvement in church activities, such a worship practice when on a worship team or praise dance practice for examples. This also includes that personal time with God, prayer, worship, fasting but while this is very important on a personal level, it's also needed on the corporate level when many or all in a church are fasting and praying for ONE purpose, such as intercessory. Freeing Peter from prison is a great example of a unified Body, together fighting for ONE cause, for one person.

A question I've asked groups of people after raising the example of a unified Body of Christians, ALL praying and interceding for one man... who here belongs to a church Body that has done this for a member of their church, where ALL are fasting and praying together?

Not many ever raise their hand... and thus, many churches are clueless about what Hebrews 10:24-25 is all about.
                In my direct observation and experience, fasting is almost unheard of in many Christian assemblies, and "corporate" prayer consists of a single individual "leading" the prayer....i.e., being the only person who prays out loud during an allotted, brief timeslot on the list of programmed activities.

Few will open their mouths to pray aloud themselves when joined with others for a "quick moment of prayer" before the purposed activity for the meeting kicks into gear. When they do, it's often a hurried petition for healing for a friend's coworker's cousin thrice-removed who is battling physical illness.

I've noticed, however, that scheduled activities seem to dominate people's lives, too....and being TOO busy "working in the church" can impede true worship and effective witness in the kingdom. We are to make disciples "as we go"....not "as we schedule another activity where everyone in the local assembly is expected to show up because we will be tabulating attendance."

A lot of quiet time waiting on the Lord is essential in order to hear His voice clearly and redeem the time wisely, I think.

Comment

This also includes that personal time with God, prayer, worship, fasting but while this is very important on a personal level, it's also needed on the corporate level when many or all in a church are fasting and praying for ONE purpose, such as intercessory.
                  So it's about being a part of an assembly rather than going to an assembly (not that they are exclusive).

Originally posted by episkopos View Post
                  It is the reality of an historic repetitive trend that people tend to want to interpret the bible through the prevalent culture rather than live in a sacrificial and revolutionary way that challenges the culture. The trend in mankind is to absorb the gospel message INTO the culture by making superficial concessions that put a thin veneer of seeming obeisance to the biblical demands.
                  What would you say the application of Hebrews 10 looks like apart from cultural traditions and "safety?"

Comment

So it's about being a part of an assembly rather than going to an assembly (not that they are exclusive).
                    Evidence of being a "part" of an assembly is by attending the assembly and doing one's part.

Take 1 Cor 12 for example. Each person who is a part of the Body is evident by WHAT THEY DO in the Body. God has actually given each member of the Body a gift and that gift can only be utilized when the person is doing their part in attendance of the assembly. The only way to execute their responsibility in fulfilling what part they are... is to attend assembly.

I look at it this way... when a Christian believes they don't have to be a part of any assembly, they are simply being deceived by satan as he attempts to "take" them away and the more he can do this, this is why assemblies are so powerless. satan is actually taking people away from an assembly... people that God is wanting to use in the assembly.
                    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Evidence of being a "part" of an assembly is by attending the assembly and doing one's part. Take 1 Cor 12 for example. Each person who is a part of the Body is evident by WHAT THEY DO in the Body. The only way to execute their responsibility in fulfilling what part they are... is to attend assembly.
                      Okay. In that case, would you mind defining "assembly?"

Comment

Not only...Church looks different depending on the culture in which you live. We gather 3 times on Sundays, and once on Wednesdays. That's when we "gather". We also "gather" at one meeting point on those days. Our local church. There is nothing wrong with that. We use our gifts to minister to one another, stir up good works among one another, encourage one another, and even rebuke one another. We also gather for prayer and SOME , not all , of us fast. But we also meet during the week in our small group classes. Always communicating, and holding one another accountable. That's what my church looks like.

But I have been in Africa and been in a church of 5 that meets on a front porch of a shanty house and studies the word of God. I have to say, it was good.

The sermon is not what I consider church to be at all. Just a small part of it. Though many look at it as if that is church. WE DON'T GO TO CHURCH. WE ARE THE CHURCH.

Comment

We are an assembly in our participation here, I enjoy interacting with my bros/sis in Christ, this encourages growth and gives insight as well.

I enjoy my church services which at my particular church is every evening if you wanted to attend that frequently. There is no time more blessed/happier than being in worship with one another.

Those that steer away from interacting with fellow believers I feel are still in a carnal state and have not the true love of Christ
                          It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Originally posted by Pbminimum View Post
                            But I have been in Africa and been in a church of 5 that meets on a front porch of a shanty house and studies the word of God. I have to say, it was good. The sermon is not what I consider church to be at all. Just a small part of it. Though many look at it as if that is church. WE DON'T GO TO CHURCH. WE ARE THE CHURCH.
                            Sounds like a great experience. I think that you can go all the way to parts of Africa and still come together with believers is profound and speaks to "we are the church."

Originally posted by always View Post
                            We are an assembly in our participation here, I enjoy interacting with my bros/sis in Christ, this encourages growth and gives insight as well. I enjoy my church services which at my particular church is every evening if you wanted to attend that frequently. There is no time more blessed/happier than being in worship with one another.
                            Maybe there are different types of assemblies or "the assembly" is expressed in different ways and for different purposes?

Comment

Okay. In that case, would you mind defining "assembly?"
                              An assembly begins with this:

Mt 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
                              Slug1--out

Comment

Working...
                              X