Items in the Ark of the Covenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Items in the Ark of the Covenant

"(The priests) serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things. For when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was instructed by God, saying, “See that you make everything according to the pattern that was shown you on the mountain.” (Heb. 8:5)

"Behind the second curtain was a second section called the Most Holy Place, having the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold, in which was a golden urn holding the manna, and Aaron's staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant. Above it were the cherubim of glory overshadowing the mercy seat …" (Heb. 9:3-5)
    Question for all you Old Testament experts.

There were three holy objects stored in the Ark of the Covenant. They were the manna, Aaron's staff, and the tablets of stone. Now, the epistle to the Hebrews says that these items served as a symbol (shadow) of the real temple which is in heaven.

O.K. here's my question: Exactly what did each of these objects represent? What was the 'type.'? Please limit discussion to the three items in the Ark.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cyber
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Re: Items in the Ark of the Covenant

Manna-God's provision
    Staff-God's authority
    Tablets-God's will
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

The Manna __*Exodus 16:15 And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat.

Christ - the Bread of Life coming down daily from heaven is our salvation, all we could ever need or want, throughout our exodus from bondage and on into liberty.

The Rod __*Numbers 17:8 And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds.

A shadow of Christ's better priesthood(in that He conquers death), with the primary focus being that it is strictly determined by God's calling. The right of appointment to the office of high priest(mediator) belongs only to God, who grants authority everlasting and His approval is confirmed with signs following.

The Tablets __ *Psa 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Ordinances pointing to devotion out of love made to renew the hearts and minds of God's people. We are sanctified by His Word.
      The words of the covenant typify the law fulfilled unto death through Christ thereby guaranteeing God's promises.
      Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Comment

They all represent Jesus...the Bread of life, the stick God chose that has life in itself and His Word.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
          Question for all you Old Testament experts.

There were three holy objects stored in the Ark of the Covenant. They were the manna, Aaron's staff, and the tablets of stone. Now, the epistle to the Hebrews says that these items served as a symbol (shadow) of the real temple which is in heaven.

O.K. here's my question: Exactly what did each of these objects represent? What was the 'type.'? Please limit discussion to the three items in the Ark.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cyber
          The only thing INSIDE the Ark was the Ten Commandments. Those other articles were on the table beside the Ark.

1Ki 8:9 Nothing was in the ark except the two tablets of stone which Moses put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt.

Now for Hebrews 9:4...

Heb 9:4 which had the golden censer and the ark of the covenant overlaid on all sides with gold, in which were the golden pot that had the manna, Aaron's rod that budded, and the tablets of the covenant;

Notice that the Book of the Law (not the Ten Commandments on tablets of stone) were put with or beside the Ark...

Deu 31:26 "Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there as a witness against you;

Now John Gill handles this very well...

Wherein was the golden pot that had manna; which Aaron filled with manna by the direction of Moses, who gave it at the appointment of God, that it might be preserved to future ages, as a memorial of the goodness, care, and power of God in feeding the Israelites with it in the wilderness, Exo_16:33. This pot held an omer, which was more than three pints and a half; some say six pints: and though Moses does not call it a golden pot, yet it is so called, not only by the Septuagint in Exo_16:33 but also by Philo the Jew (g); nor is it reasonable to think, with some Jewish writers (h), that it should be made of earth, which was to continue for ages to come: this also was wanting in the second temple (i); and this, with Aaron's rod, after mentioned, and other things, is said to be hid when the ark was, and along with it (k): but how this pot, as well as Aaron's rod, can be said to be in the ark, when it is asserted, at the bringing of the ark into the temple, at the dedication of it by Solomon, that there was nothing in it but two tables of stone, 1Ki_8:9 and both the pot of "manna", and Aaron's rod, are said to be before the testimony, Exo_16:34 and not in it, is a difficulty. Some, in order to remove it, observe, that the phrase, "wherein", refers not to the ark, but to the tabernacle; but since the tables of the covenant were in the ark, and these are mentioned with it, and the phrase, "over it", in the next verse, cannot be understood of the tabernacle, but of the ark, this solution is not satisfactory. Others have observed, that they might be in the ark in Moses's time and in Jeremiah's time, when they are said to be hid, though they were not in Solomon's: and others have taken notice, that the preposition εν sometimes signifies "at", or "with", as in Col_3:1 and so the sense is, that these were near unto it in the most holy place, and might be in the sides of it, though not within it; for there were places in the sides of the ark to put things into, Deu_31:26. And certain it is from the above account from Scripture, that they were near it; and so, by the Jewish writers, they are always mentioned along with it: when that was carried away, and hid, they were hid with it; but what a certain Jewish commentator (l) observes on 1Ki_8:9 is so express, as if it was designed to vindicate our apostle: his remark is this:

"the intention of this is not to deny that there were not the things mentioned in the law, for they were מונחים בו, "left in it", as Aaron's "rod", and "the pot of manna", only to deny, hereby, that there was not anything of the law, save the decalogue.''
          I've been throwed outta better places than this.

Comment

Originally posted by John 8:32 View Post
            The only thing INSIDE the Ark was the Ten Commandments. Those other articles were on the table beside the Ark.

1Ki 8:9 Nothing was in the ark except the two tablets of stone which Moses put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt.

Now for Hebrews 9:4...

Heb 9:4 which had the golden censer and the ark of the covenant overlaid on all sides with gold, in which were the golden pot that had the manna, Aaron's rod that budded, and the tablets of the covenant;

Notice that the Book of the Law (not the Ten Commandments on tablets of stone) were put with or beside the Ark...

Deu 31:26 "Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there as a witness against you;

Now John Gill handles this very well...

Wherein was the golden pot that had manna; which Aaron filled with manna by the direction of Moses, who gave it at the appointment of God, that it might be preserved to future ages, as a memorial of the goodness, care, and power of God in feeding the Israelites with it in the wilderness, Exo_16:33. This pot held an omer, which was more than three pints and a half; some say six pints: and though Moses does not call it a golden pot, yet it is so called, not only by the Septuagint in Exo_16:33 but also by Philo the Jew (g); nor is it reasonable to think, with some Jewish writers (h), that it should be made of earth, which was to continue for ages to come: this also was wanting in the second temple (i); and this, with Aaron's rod, after mentioned, and other things, is said to be hid when the ark was, and along with it (k): but how this pot, as well as Aaron's rod, can be said to be in the ark, when it is asserted, at the bringing of the ark into the temple, at the dedication of it by Solomon, that there was nothing in it but two tables of stone, 1Ki_8:9 and both the pot of "manna", and Aaron's rod, are said to be before the testimony, Exo_16:34 and not in it, is a difficulty. Some, in order to remove it, observe, that the phrase, "wherein", refers not to the ark, but to the tabernacle; but since the tables of the covenant were in the ark, and these are mentioned with it, and the phrase, "over it", in the next verse, cannot be understood of the tabernacle, but of the ark, this solution is not satisfactory. Others have observed, that they might be in the ark in Moses's time and in Jeremiah's time, when they are said to be hid, though they were not in Solomon's: and others have taken notice, that the preposition εν sometimes signifies "at", or "with", as in Col_3:1 and so the sense is, that these were near unto it in the most holy place, and might be in the sides of it, though not within it; for there were places in the sides of the ark to put things into, Deu_31:26. And certain it is from the above account from Scripture, that they were near it; and so, by the Jewish writers, they are always mentioned along with it: when that was carried away, and hid, they were hid with it; but what a certain Jewish commentator (l) observes on 1Ki_8:9 is so express, as if it was designed to vindicate our apostle: his remark is this:

"the intention of this is not to deny that there were not the things mentioned in the law, for they were מונחים בו, "left in it", as Aaron's "rod", and "the pot of manna", only to deny, hereby, that there was not anything of the law, save the decalogue.''

I'm at work right now and don't have the time to dig for the actual Scriptures, but I too thought it contained a part of the rod, the Tablets on which the Laws were written on, as well as manna
            Prayer without faith, is like a car without an engine

There are many roads to damnation, but only one Road to Salvation

Comment

I saw a movie in which it was full of scary ghosts.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                And it melted some dude's face

Comment

Originally posted by trance750 View Post
                  Yeah that totally happened!. Uh, in the movie anyway. But he was a bad guy so it's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by John 8:32 View Post
                    Yes, exactly what I was taught. Also that all those objects are hidden together, possibly under the temple mount.

Comment

Yes, exactly what I was taught. Also that all those objects are hidden together, possibly under the temple mount.
                      Weren't some of those items missing before the Temple was ever constructed?
                      Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Seems the most likely. There are theories about Jeremiah and Baruch taking the princess Tea Tephi and the Ark to Ireland. That is possible also, who knows?
                        I've been throwed outta better places than this.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                          Weren't some of those items missing before the Temple was ever constructed?
                          No. From my understanding, they were housed in the original Temple (Solomon's Temple), then when Solomon went astray and led Israel into idol worshiping, they were lost during the 1st invasion of Babylon. I have heard that the God commanded the Queen of Sheba to remove them from the Temple and take them to Ethiopia

I have heard they were buried under the Temple Mount

I have heard that The Lord Himself took them from earth and they are now in the Holy Temple in Heaven

Comment

I saw that one... the message was true enough though. Woe to the man aiming to defile that which is holy.

Joshua 3:5 And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for to morrow the LORD will do wonders among you.

Originally posted by trance750 View Post
                            I'd say this was noteworthy, considering that no flesh can glory in His presence.
                            Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Comment

Perhaps the movie was inspired from Above...

Comment

Working...
                              X