Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

    Early Christian historian, Eusebius, said that Jesus’ ministry lasted three years. I agree, and so do a lot of commentaries and people who attempt to harmonize the gospels. However, problems start when we try to make St. Johns account fit with the synoptic gospels; big problems.

    Ive finally managed to get my timeline up on the forum. Here is how I see a 3-year, step by step, chronology of Jesus’ ministry. Notice how it takes the sequence of events in St Johns gospel more seriously than what some have thought. My view is that the synoptic gospels do not contradict John after all. However, we need to accept two separate ‘cleansings’ of the temple – one at each end of his ministry. Let’s see what folks think, and I’ll try to explain my scheme as we go along.

    Cyber


    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

  • #2
    Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

    Hello Cyber,

    I am going to study your timeline in detail. I have always struggled with Eusebius's 3 year time frame. Due in part to the lack of harmonization of John's with the other gospels and due in part that we have statements from several ECFs that Jesus's ministry was about a year. (Clement,Tertullian,Origen,Lactantius) I picked up a book by a well known HRM teacher and studied the one year time frame he presented. His entire theory is based on the elimination of John 6:4. This verse is missing from one manuscript(472 I think) but it is in countless others. I struggled with his timeline as well but I did notice that it addresses huge gaps in Jesus's ministry once you used the feeding of the 5000 as a template to synchronize all 4 gospels and build a timeline. Of course,all of the scholars are refuting this teacher's theory so it is spurious at best. However,the problem with the 3-3 1/2 year ministry is that it leaves huge gaps in Jesus's ministry where we are told nothing.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

      Yeah, I hope it helps.

      The seasons provide us with clues to the chronological order of the gospels. The month of Nisan was springtime, and the month of Tishri was autumn. They were also when the 2 main feasts of Passover and Tabernacles were observed.

      That is why I have shown Nisan and Tishri on each year, because it enables us to pinpoint summer and winter events in-between. For example, the eating of the grain (Mark 2:23) could have only happened in the summer in the middle of Jesus' first year.

      Similarly, it helps locate the ‘calming of the sea’ (Mark 4:35) because storms in Galilee were a feature of winter there. When these seasonal clues are taken into account, the various gospel stories fit together quite nicely.
      "Your name and renown
      is the desire of our hearts."
      (Isaiah 26:8)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

        I can't see the image. Well, I see it on my android browsers but it's too small, and when I download it it's a ".svg.jpg" and nothing wants to view it. Renamed it both jpg and svg, still nothing. On my desktop I can't see it at all. Copied the link from my phone to my desktop and (this is not intended to be an actual link) get "Your search - ​https://......................JesusMinistryFinal2.svg - did not match any documents."

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

          Originally posted by shepherdsword View Post
          However,the problem with the 3-3 1/2 year ministry is that it leaves huge gaps in Jesus's ministry where we are told nothing.
          Joh 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

          I don't find this to be a problem at all.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

            Originally posted by Noeb View Post
            I can't see the image. Well, I see it on my android browsers but it's too small, and when I download it it's a ".svg.jpg" and nothing wants to view it. Renamed it both jpg and svg, still nothing. On my desktop I can't see it at all. Copied the link from my phone to my desktop and (this is not intended to be an actual link) get "Your search - ​https://......................JesusMinistryFinal2.svg - did not match any documents."
            If you dont have a full size PC perhaps you can print a full diagram from my website diagram.
            "Your name and renown
            is the desire of our hearts."
            (Isaiah 26:8)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

              Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
              If you dont have a full size PC
              I do, "I copied the link (of the image) from my phone to my desktop" but didn't see anything on the desktop via link or here on the forum. I can tell something is there by the extra space under "Cyber" though. I do see it on my phone. Thanks for giving a link to your website. I can see the timeline on both my phone and desktop. I agree with two cleansings, one at the beginning one at the end. I was curious to see if you had separate entries for sermon on the mount/sermon on the plain, but I see it's not that detailed. Nice work.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                I resized it. It's still not great but it's easier to read, just click on the picture and it will get bigger:

                Attached Files
                James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                  Originally posted by Noeb
                  Thanks for giving a link to your website. I can see the timeline on both my phone and desktop. I agree with two cleansings, one at the beginning one at the end. I was curious to see if you had separate entries for sermon on the mount/sermon on the plain, but I see it's not that detailed. Nice work.
                  Rather than clutter the diagram, I have limited it to seasonal clues, and left it to readers to fill the gaps. A key to my time sequence is how Mark locates the grain fields incident in summer, AD 27. (That's when the grain would have been ripe for eating) Luke 6 records the same story with the 'sermon on the mount' straight after that. Therefore, we can safely place Jesus' sermon on the mount in late summer AD 27.
                  "Your name and renown
                  is the desire of our hearts."
                  (Isaiah 26:8)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                    Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                    I resized it. It's still not great but it's easier to read, just click on the picture and it will get bigger:

                    Thanks!.........

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                      Originally posted by Tony P View Post
                      Thanks!.........
                      You're welcome.
                      James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                        Good work, Cyb!

                        If I understand correctly, you see a 3.5 ministry in the chart, but you say 3 years in the text. Do you mean the same thing? I, too, figure a 3.5 year timeline for Jesus' ministry.

                        There is another factor that does make this work much more difficult. That is the fact that chronological biographies were not known in those days. That is more of a modern way of recording someone's life. We can see examples of this in the gospels where certain stories are included in a different order from one gospel to another. They all start with John the Baptist and end with Jesus' final week. Everything in the middle may not have any chronology to it. I've never seen an ancient biography that was chronologically written.

                        Personally, I believe the cleansing of the Temple in John 2 is the same one that actually occurred in Jesus' last week. I know most people see them as two events. I just think the surrounding context indicates that Jesus was not at the beginning of his ministry in John 2. This scene is where Jesus says, "destroy this Temple and I will raise it up in three days," which is precisely what he was accused of at his trial before death. It would seem odd to bring up this charge three years later when the witnesses were long gone. I think John 2:13+ is in the final week.

                        Another sad fact is the current books we have in the NT were arranged and standardized at the 325 AD counsel of Nicea. Few people had a complete book (gospel). Official versions were adopted and all others destroyed. We don't have any versions that date before this counsel. A scrape maybe with a few words, but no complete books by which we can compare. The order of stories we have today may not be in the original order that the authors wrote them. This early church editing can be found in the way the Olivet discourse is laid out in the synoptics. It was widely believed to be about 70 AD at the time. For early Christians, Jesus' prediction of Jerusalem's destruction was proof of his deity. However, the Olivet has nothing to do with 70 AD, but his return. So, what helped the early church believe in Jesus confuses many today. Editing over time happened to several OT books as well to the point where they could no longer be trusted. Enoch for example. Jude quotes from it as if it is real scripture. The version of Enoch we have today isn't the same.

                        Jesus is the same in any case, but the details may be a bit muddled. Remember, Paul didn't know Jesus during his ministry, nor did he even consult with the disciples until many years later. How did he know so much that he could found church after church? The Holy Spirit. The same is true today. The Holy Spirit still teaches us one on one if we take the time to hear him. The paper and ink is just the beginning of knowledge.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                          Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                          You're welcome.
                          As I age, I need a bigger and bigger monitor. I guess its time for another upgrade........to a projector!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                            Originally posted by Tony P View Post
                            As I age, I need a bigger and bigger monitor. I guess its time for another upgrade........to a projector!
                            Just buy a movie theater and eat popcorn for life!
                            James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

                              Originally posted by Tony P
                              Good work, Cyb!

                              If I understand correctly, you see a 3.5 ministry in the chart, but you say 3 years in the text. Do you mean the same thing? I, too, figure a 3.5 year timeline for Jesus' ministry.
                              Strictly speaking, he began a 3 year ministry in Nisan when he started choosing his disciples. However, when we count from his baptism, it is longer. If we knew exactly when John started I think it would be 3.5 years, and would coincide with (I believe) the last of Daniels 70 'sevens'.


                              Originally posted by Tony P
                              There is another factor that does make this work much more difficult. That is the fact that chronological biographies were not known in those days. That is more of a modern way of recording someone's life. We can see examples of this in the gospels where certain stories are included in a different order from one gospel to another. They all start with John the Baptist and end with Jesus' final week. Everything in the middle may not have any chronology to it.
                              The sequence of his ministry appears different between John and the others, until we notice how John records details of Jesus' first 2 or 3 months, but the synoptic gospels dont. They leave gaps after his baptism, (eg. trip through Samaria) and start the narrative again after he arrives back in Galilee in the summer.
                              "Your name and renown
                              is the desire of our hearts."
                              (Isaiah 26:8)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X