Priorities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priorities.

The list of new posts appears to be dominated by eschatological themes. Is eschatology a very high priority theological theme?

Re: Priorities.

The number of posts in any forum only shows where people's interest lies. Not that it is a 'priority' for us, here. It's just that more people are interested in discussing that particular issue.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Because eschatology is fascinating, but that doesn't mean it's best. Candy tastes good, but it is not the best food for us. I once had an old preacher tell me to focus on holiness rather than prophecy. Very good advice.
      "What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Comment

Basically, eschatology has the most room for disagreement within the bounds of protestantism. So there are more topics there where entire concepts can be hotly debated as opposed to, say, gospel-related subjects which tend to have discussions on very specific ideas within an overarching theme everyone agrees on. BC explodes whenever someone decides to make the hundredth N/OSAS or Calvinism megathread. ETC explodes when... well it explodes over a lot, Lol.
        「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
        撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bud View Post
          Because eschatology is fascinating, but that doesn't mean it's best. Candy tastes good, but it is not the best food for us. I once had an old preacher tell me to focus on holiness rather than prophecy. Very good advice.
          A guy I heard once said, attention to prophecy helps foster holiness.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
            A guy I heard once said, attention to prophecy helps foster holiness.
            It can also backfire later on when the time frames come and go without fulfillment.
            "What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Comment

It can also backfire later on when the time frames come and go without fulfillment.
              I'm referring to "the hope of salvation" (not that we are wishfully hoping to be maybe be saved; but that future aspect of the salvation we already possess):

1 Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch [G1127] and be sober.

7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love;
              and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. [this is a specific area of "understanding" we are to have]

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, [context: an eschatological salvation]

10 Who died for us, that, whether we watch [G1127] or sleep, we should live together with him.

11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

[and]

"the One delivering us [out-]from the wrath coming" 1 Thessalonians 1:10

These have to do with "future things" (as its context). That's what I understand by the OP's use of the phrase "eschatological themes" (and our attention to it).

Comment

The most end times oriented people I encounter are Jehovah's witnesses. If one gets past Law and Sabbath issues Seventh Day Adventists are also end times oriented. I think that some of the Hebrew Names and Hebrew Roots movement people are also end times oriented. I don't know if these are an indication of how end times orientation relates to holiness. From what I have seen Jehovah's witnesses are concerned with holy living, the same would be true of the Law and Sabbath oriented groups.

Comment

But, TheSkiesAllCry, these are cults and can only be discussed in the Areopagus forum!
                  Not here, in Bible Chat. You are new and need to know that.
                  This is a Christian Message board, not a cult one. But we do have that one forum where we will discuss cult beliefs.
                  My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkiesAllCry View Post
                    The most end times oriented people I encounter are Jehovah's witnesses. If one gets past Law and Sabbath issues Seventh Day Adventists are also end times oriented. I think that some of the Hebrew Names and Hebrew Roots movement people are also end times oriented. I don't know if these are an indication of how end times orientation relates to holiness. From what I have seen Jehovah's witnesses are concerned with holy living, the same would be true of the Law and Sabbath oriented groups.
                    Many Evangelicals have been too. Hal Lindsey, John Hagee, Southwest Radio Church, etc

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkiesAllCry View Post
                      It seems to me that those who mind Israel's earthly things (not just study to understand them, as we all benefit from doing, but actually embrace them as though they belong to them[-selves (thus not distinguishing between "Israel" and "the Church which is His body")]) also embrace [unto (and for) themselves] things intended for Israel to do (such as "endure unto the end" of the specific time period "determined upon" [Israel]) and thereby make incorrect application to themselves [with regard to "holiness" issues, as well as other things (the sequence of events being merely one issue)].

Failure to "distinguish" the things which differ, is at root, as I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
                        I'm referring to "the hope of salvation" (not that we are wishfully hoping to be maybe be saved; but that future aspect of the salvation we already possess):

1 Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch [G1127] and be sober.

7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love;
                        and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. [this is a specific area of "understanding" we are to have]

9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, [context: an eschatological salvation]

10 Who died for us, that, whether we watch [G1127] or sleep, we should live together with him.

11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

[and]

"the One delivering us [out-]from the wrath coming" 1 Thessalonians 1:10

These have to do with "future things" (as its context). That's what I understand by the OP's use of the phrase "eschatological themes" (and our attention to it).
                        I really appreciate your accurate description of our "hope". It is as you say a "confident expectation" not a wishful thinking. So many people mist this critical point so thanks for your post.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtTN View Post
                          I really appreciate your accurate description of our "hope". It is as you say a "confident expectation" not a wishful thinking. So many people mist this critical point so thanks for your post.
                          Amen, brother. I see that a lot too.

And praise the Lord for this [assured] "hope of salvation."

Comment

Many Evangelicals have been too. Hal Lindsey, John Hagee, Southwest Radio Church, etc
                            Do you think that end times orientation makes for genuine holiness in life?

Comment

No, it's a distraction.

Comment

Working...
                              X