Please stop saying, "DONT JUDGE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please stop saying, "DONT JUDGE"

So many of my friends and associates always want to comment on sin by saying, "Don't judge". In a conversation about a LGBT peron being appointed as a Bishop in a church, many people always want to cast the don't judge statement as some kind of defense for the sin. Today has hit me in a different area of my life, so I ask for edification if I am wrong.

We stand as a witness to the sacrifice that Christ made for us. We accept him as Savior and follow his teaching. Do we teach our children that wrong actions will produce consequences? If we administer the consequences, do we do it out of love?

The Word is what we shall be judged against. Is there a secret law that we would be held accounted for? What has happened in my opinion is that people want to accept a loving God but refused to accept the sacrifice and the reason for the sacrifice. To love him is to follow him. We stand as a witness and as an overcomer of sin in our daily lives. We stand as a witness that being born again has released us from the judgement.

Please stop saying "Don't judge" beause the word judges us daily, and we stand as a witness that because of the sacrifice, we choose to follow the one who made that sacrifice, and we have an obligation out of love to warn you of the coming judgement. Stop excusing sin my ignoring sin.

Matt 7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
    6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Help me with what I am wrong in...
    " I am here to learn and I am not a teacher of the word. While I may challenge beliefs and ask pointed questions it is for me to understand completely your point of view so that I may challenge my own point of view in my search for truth"

Re: Please stop saying, "DONT JUDGE"

You are not wrong.

This passage is one of the most butchered passages in all of the Bible when it comes to a proper exegesis. People, especially non-believers, but even Christians want to use this teaching to claim that Jesus was preaching a broad-brushed acceptance of anyone's interpretation of anything and any personal lifestyle.

When I teach this passage from the Sermon on the Mount, I like to use David Guzik's interpretation and commentary. I think he is spot on.

"Among those who seem to know nothing of the Bible, this is the verse that seems to be most popular. Yet most the people who quote this verse don't understand what Jesus said. They seem to think (or hope) that Jesus commanded a universal acceptance of any lifestyle or teaching.

ii. Just a little later in this same sermon (Matthew 7:15-16), Jesus commanded us to know ourselves and others by the fruit of their life, and some sort of assessment is necessary for that. The Christian is called to show unconditional love. But the Christian is not called to unconditional approval. We really can love people who do things that should not be approved of.

iii. So while this does not prohibit examining the lives of others, it certainly prohibits doing in the spirit it is often done. An example of unjust judgment was the disciples' condemnation of the woman who came to anoint the feet of Jesus with oil (Matthew 26:6-13). They thought she was wasting something; Jesus said she had done a good work that would always be remembered. They had a rash, harsh, unjust judgment.

- We break this command when we think the worst of others.
    - We break this command when we only speak to others of their faults.
    - We break this command when we judge an entire life only by its worst moments.
    - We break this command when we judge the hidden motives of others.
    - We break this command when we judge others without considering ourselves in their same circumstances.
    - We break this command when we judge others without being mindful that we ourselves will be judged.

c. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged: Jesus did not prohibit the judgment of others. He only requires that our judgment be completely fair, and that we only judge others by a standard we would also like to be judged by.

i. When our judgment in regard to others is wrong, it is often not because we judge according to a standard but because we are hypocritical in the application of that standard - we ignore the standard in our own life. It is common to judge others by one standard and ourselves by another standard - being far more generous to ourselves than others."
    sigpic
    ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

I agree with the OP. It's almost a talking point these days to excuse sin.
      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Imo, what I think they are saying in terms of judging is - Don't tell us that our lifestyle is wrong and sinful. Let us live our sinful lives. Don't call our lifestyles wrong and sinful because your judging and the bible says not to Judge.

Originally posted by clormond View Post
        So many of my friends and associates always want to comment on sin by saying, "Don't judge". In a conversation about a LGBT peron being appointed as a Bishop in a church, many people always want to cast the don't judge statement as some kind of defense for the sin. Today has hit me in a different area of my life, so I ask for edification if I am wrong.

We stand as a witness to the sacrifice that Christ made for us. We accept him as Savior and follow his teaching. Do we teach our children that wrong actions will produce consequences? If we administer the consequences, do we do it out of love?

The Word is what we shall be judged against. Is there a secret law that we would be held accounted for? What has happened in my opinion is that people want to accept a loving God but refused to accept the sacrifice and the reason for the sacrifice. To love him is to follow him. We stand as a witness and as an overcomer of sin in our daily lives. We stand as a witness that being born again has released us from the judgement.

Please stop saying "Don't judge" beause the word judges us daily, and we stand as a witness that because of the sacrifice, we choose to follow the one who made that sacrifice, and we have an obligation out of love to warn you of the coming judgement. Stop excusing sin my ignoring sin.

Matt 7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
        6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Comment

IMO The passages are concerning hypocrisy.

IE: Me telling someone they are sinning A. and how horrible it is and they are for doing so.
          (Which is really making myself out to be a moral giant)
          When I am actually sinning B. and C. and D. the whole time I am trying to point out A.

If I deal with my own sin: B. and C. and D. , I may be more able to approach sin A.
          Even better, I might have a different way to approach a brother who is sinning A, after dealing with my B.C. and D.

Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

I agree that many who say that are trying to avoid addressing their sin. I don’t know if they want simply continue in it or are so ashamed of it they don’t want to see t for themselves and certainly not have someone point it out to them.

As for the verse I think it deals more with how we judge not whether we judge. It is dealing with judging using criteria to judge other than truth. Basing the judgment based on our preferences or self-determined standards rather than truth and what scripture actually says is sin. It is using unrighteous foundation from which to judge.
            "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
            C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
            "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
            "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
            "Our Hope is unchanged"
            "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
              IMO The passages are concerning hypocrisy.

IE: Me telling someone they are sinning A. and how horrible it is and they are for doing so.
              (Which is really making myself out to be a moral giant)
              When I am actually sinning B. and C. and D. the whole time I am trying to point out A.

If I deal with my own sin: B. and C. and D. , I may be more able to approach sin A.
              Even better, I might have a different way to approach a brother who is sinning A, after dealing with my B.C. and D.

Yeah, true that, however we need context. The Apostles had no problem identifying sin, and they too were sinners.

I think there is a difference between confessing sin and outright rebellion.

Do I sin? Yes. Do I condone or celebrate my sin? No. I confess it and rely on God to bring me victory over it. That does not make me any better than anyone, I have nothing to boast about, but it glorfies God Who is in me.

It is not by my power, but through He who strengthens me. Anyone can have victory over sin once they recognise it, are convicted of it and turn to the Lord to be free from that yoke. It is not slavery we want for unrepentant sinners, it is freedom we want for them. That is a call of love, not of judgment, but unless we identify the enemy, we can not raise our armor. Obviously this requires judgment to discern the wiles of the adversary.
              Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                Yeah, true that, however we need context. The Apostles had no problem identifying sin, and they too were sinners.

I think there is a difference between confessing sin and outright rebellion.

Do I sin? Yes. Do I condone or celebrate my sin? No. I confess it and rely on God to bring me victory over it. That does not make me any better than anyone, I have nothing to boast about, but it glorfies God Who is in me.

It is not by my power, but through He who strengthens me. Anyone can have victory over sin once they recognise it, are convicted of it and tuen to the Lord to be free from that yoke. It is not slavery we want for unrepentant sinners, it is freedom we want for them. That is a call of love, not of judgment, but unless we identify the enemy, we can not raise our armor. Obviously this requires judgment to discern the wiles of the adversary.
                The Holy Spirit can do anything through the right vessel, by His Word, or His Power.

Proverbs 20:5
                The purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out.
                Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

Comment

Pointing out one's sin is not judging. It's trying to help them overcome.
                  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
                  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
                  Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
                  and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
                  1 Tim 6:10

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
                    The Holy Spirit can do anything through the right vessel, by His Word, or His Power.

Proverbs 20:5
                    The purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out.
                    Well, not neccesarily the "right" vessel (that would put man in control), but the vessel God chooses. Obedience to the Holy Spirit is a great conduit, but He has done His will through others as well (Nebuchadnezzar comes to mind).

As ambassadors to Christ, we need to always be sensitive to our own hypocrisy; it is a sign we are not fully submitted to Him. But if confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive.

In other words, we need to remain humble.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                      Well, not neccesarily the "right" vessel (that would put man in control), but the vessel God chooses.
                      Yes chosen is a better word usage and was my meaning. (God's choices are always "right")
                      IE: God chose the Apostles.

Obedience to the Holy Spirit is a great conduit, but He has done His will through others as well (Nebuchadnezzar comes to mind).
                      True as well. I may have issue with some who say or do things toward me, but the choices I make in regard to that in response will help build/shape my character.
                      As ambassadors to Christ, we need to always be sensitive to our own hypocrisy; it is a sign we are not fully submitted to Him. But if confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive.

In other words, we need to remain humble.
                      And He can get us there, I pray He keeps me...Amen.
                      Peace to you!

Comment

Originally posted by clormond View Post

By them telling you not to judge, they are judging you. They are judging you to be judgemental. I agre. Do not judge is one of my pet peeves. Paul sure did not mind judging sin.

Comment

Is it possible that the judgement we aren't to make is about the worth of an individual rather than a sin?
                          Mat 6:22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. Therefore if your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light.

Comment

Jesus did not come to judge sin in the lives of sinners, why do we feel compelled to do so?

We are to judge sin in our own lives.
                            We are to judge sin in the church.
                            We have no business judging sin in the lives of non-believers. They are only doing what sinners do... sin.

It is not the judgment of God that leads men (and women) to repentance. What did Paul say leads people to repentance...???
                            Some people are offended that the Sovereign God, because He loved man so much and wanted to be in an intimate relationship with his creation, gave Man a free will to respond to God's grace, offered to all. They are offended that God is God as God chooses to be, not as they choose for God to be.

Comment

You don't have to judge, since they've already entered into judgement.

Comment

Working...
                              X