Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confessions of Faith, Catechism's are they of great value, or a waste of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of Faith, Catechism's are they of great value, or a waste of time?

Do you personally use a biblical Catechism or a concession of faith?
    Do you see them as valuable.....if so....why?
    Have you or any church you have been in, used them?
    In a recent thread a poster suggested that they are a waste of time.

If you think that way about them, offer why you have come to your position.

If possible offer biblical support for your post

Re: Confessions of Faith, Catechism's are they of great value, or a waste of time?

What is a biblical Catechism? I have never heard of that term before?

Originally posted by Iconoclast85 View Post

Comment

Re: Confessions of Faith, Catechism's are they of great value, or a waste of time?

Originally posted by chad View Post
      I think it's a pleonasm.

Aristarkos

Comment

I would not be too quick to condemn. Growing up as a Catholic, Catechism was very instrumental in drawing me close to God. I learned more from it than at Sunday Mass. But an adult now and an Evangelical of many years standing, I look back and realise that my love for Christ was formed from my early years listening to the Catechism teacher narrate the wonderful story of Jesus Christ.

Also, I have no problem confessing my faith in Christ. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Catechism is no different from Bible Study as we know it now. The only specific difference is that the canons of the Catholic church are indoctrinated as well.

Comment

Well, I did a google search on and I don't agree with what I saw on this web page ...

http://www.cuttingedge.org/articles/catechism.cfm

Teachings from the Catechism

POPE GIVEN AUTHORITY TO INTERPRET THE TRUTH OF SCRIPTURE
            Roman Catholic doctrine teaches that only the Pope has the final authority to interpret the Holy Bible. What does the Bible say?

THE CATECHISM TEACHES THAT FAITH IS RECEIVED FIRST BY THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND THEN PASSED TO THE BELIEVER. JESUS CHRIST IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED!
            Faith in Jesus Christ will save us for eternity, and it is an individual decision. Nowhere is the Church mentioned in receiving Saving Faith. We look at Judgment Day to see who will be present; if the Church is required to come between a person and Jesus Christ, then we should expect to see the Church standing between Jesus Christ and each man and woman on Judgment Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post
              I would not be too quick to condemn. Growing up as a Catholic, Catechism was very instrumental in drawing me close to God. I learned more from it than at Sunday Mass. But an adult now and an Evangelical of many years standing, I look back and realise that my love for Christ was formed from my early years listening to the Catechism teacher narrate the wonderful story of Jesus Christ.

Also, I have no problem confessing my faith in Christ. What's wrong with that?
              Good input....we are to confess our faith before men...

Comment

Chad....it would need to be a solid catechism.

Comment

Hello Chad,

A biblical Catechism is instruction by question and answer....the word is a scriptural word meaning to resound, to speak orally to instruct from the mouth....
                  Lk1:4. Acts 18:25,Gal6:6....

Comment

I'm not a catholic, so that is part of the reason I have never heard of biblical Catechism.

What does instruction by question and answer mean? Does that mean you ask a question about the faith and they answer the question?

Hello Chad,

A biblical Catechism is instruction by question and answer....the word is a scriptural word meaning to resound, to speak orally to instruct from the mouth....
                    Lk1:4. Acts 18:25,Gal6:6....

Comment

I grew up with the Heidelburg catechism.
                      Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
                      Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

I'm not a catholic, so that is part of the reason I have never heard of biblical Catechism.

What does instruction by question and answer mean? Does that mean you ask a question about the faith and they answer the question?
                        In Acts 18 Priscilla and Aquila instructed Apollos in the way of God more perfectly the word instructed is catechized so they gave him instructions they ask questions and then answer the questions

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
                          I grew up with the Heidelburg catechism.
                          Did it help ground you in the Faith once delivered to the Saints?

Comment

Did it help ground you in the Faith once delivered to the Saints?
                            Honestly? Not really. It is more a case of one tha main catechism of our denomination, so it was commonly referred too, and we had to do some catechism classes when we were in our teens. You can imagine how interested we were in that at that age.
                            Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
                            Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

In regards to the last part of the Hail Mary prayer (which was added by the Catholic church), the Catechism explains its significance:

"Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death: By asking Mary to pray for us, we acknowledge ourselves to be poor sinners and we address ourselves to the "Mother of Mercy," the All-Holy One. We give ourselves over to her now, in the Today of our lives. And our trust broadens further, already at the present moment, to surrender "the hour of our death" wholly to her care" (paragraph 2677). I was taught this and other nonsense from the Catechism while growing up in the Roman Catholic church.

I'll stick with the Bible.
                              Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X