How does the gift of healing work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the gift of healing work?

I just wanted to ask, if anyone knew how the gift of healing works?
    It mentions it in In corinthians 12:8-9.

(1 Cor 12:8 NIV) To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,
    (1 Cor 12:9 NIV) to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,

I have heard teaching that says, yes we are given a gift of healing, but we don't actually heal. It is God that heals. We have no power to heal.

So If we have no power to heal and it is God that heals, through our prayers, what does it mean to have the gift of healing?

Is the gift of healing meant to work 100% of the time. So if people are given the gift of healing, are all people they pray for meant to be healed every time?

How do you distinguish a person who has the gift of healing and a fraud?

And what about Acts 19:11-12

(Acts 19:11 NIV) God did extraordinary miracles through Paul,
    (Acts 19:12 NIV) so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

Thanks

Chad.

Peter operated in the gift of healing, and he states something profound in the book of Acts when approaching the beggar at the gate called Beautiful.

Acts 3:1-8
    Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God.
    Peter makes the statement that it is he who possesses the power to heal this man.

However, later he goes on to state . . .

Acts 3:11-16
    Now as the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch which is called Solomon’s, greatly amazed. So when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: “Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let Him go. But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses. And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
    Peter had the power within him for this man to be healed. However, the power came through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord worked this power through Peter to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

Now, for us to work in this sort of power we have to be in tune with our Lord and Savior. We have to hear Him and do His will. The Word declares to us that only those who do His will can ask anything in His name and it be given them.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Hi VerticalReality

What do you think about Acts 19:11-12.

The power of healing can be transfered though handkerchiefs and aprons? How does that work?

(Acts 19:11 NIV) God did extraordinary miracles through Paul,
      (Acts 19:12 NIV) so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

Thanks

Chad.

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
      Peter operated in the gift of healing, and he states something profound in the book of Acts when approaching the beggar at the gate called Beautiful.

Peter makes the statement that it is he who possesses the power to heal this man.

However, later he goes on to state . . .

Peter had the power within him for this man to be healed. However, the power came through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord worked this power through Peter to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

Now, for us to work in this sort of power we have to be in tune with our Lord and Savior. We have to hear Him and do His will. The Word declares to us that only those who do His will can ask anything in His name and it be given them.

Comment

Pretty much the same concept in my opinion as the account with Peter. Personally, I think folks get goofy with that, though. Just the other day I saw a person on television trying to sell "anointed" bread. Unfortunately, folks fall for that nonsense and send their money for these things.
        "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

The gift of healing in 1 Corinthians 12 is medical, not supernatural.

The Greek word used for healing here is (iama) It means remedy, medicine, a means of healing.

Comment

Pretty much the same concept in my opinion as the account with Peter. Personally, I think folks get goofy with that, though. Just the other day I saw a person on television trying to sell "anointed" bread. Unfortunately, folks fall for that nonsense and send their money for these things.
            Try and not take this the wrong way. But what if we are taking their "joy" away from them, if we comment about those who are goofy that believe in material healing such as a hangkerchief ? Maybe it would be better to give them a christimas tree and tell them to replace their handkerchief with a decorated spruce tree for christimas. Or would both be considered - goofy ?

I might get a spanking for this

Comment

Originally posted by Mysteryman View Post
              Try and not take this the wrong way. But what if we are taking their "joy" away from them, if we comment about those who are goofy that believe in material healing such as a hangkerchief ? Maybe it would be better to give them a christimas tree and tell them to replace their handkerchief with a decorated spruce tree for christimas. Or would both be considered - goofy ?

I might get a spanking for this
              I'm really not certain what it is you are trying to say.

Folks believing that God can heal through handkerchiefs aren't the ones who are goofy. It is those who have television programs dedicated to selling the ones that are "anointed" that are goofy to me.

If you are trying to be condescending regarding the leadership of this site and their decision with regards to the Christmas season . . .

1) There is a forum where you can address your concerns . . .

and

2) This one isn't it . . .

If you have an issue with the decision regarding the Christmas threads then ask away in the Chat to the Moderators section of the forum. Doing so would be in line with forum rules and keep you from "getting a spanking".

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Lamplighter View Post
                The gift of healing in 1 Corinthians 12 is medical, not supernatural.

The Greek word used for healing here is (iama) It means remedy, medicine, a means of healing.
                If that is talking about the natural, then every thing else paul was stating about the gift of the Holy spirit was natural. And Jesus wont tell us to go and heal the sick!

or do you mean, medicine from heaven....
                We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

I have never heard of anointed bread. Is it tasty?

I guess thats he same concept as selling of Holy Water or Holy Oil?

Chad

Comment

Hi Bladers,

One of the reasons I ask about healing is partly due to the photograph of the person you have in your profile. I have had people ask me what I think of Benny Hinn and is he for real?

I have been taught in church, that it is God that heals and not us. So for example if Benny Hinn prayed for someone and they didn't get healed - does this make him a fraud?

Thats why I am asking how the the gift of healing works?

If God chooses not to heal a person, for whatever reason - is that the fault of the person who has the 'gift of healing' and prays for others to get healed.

Chad

Originally posted by Bladers View Post
                    If that is talking about the natural, then every thing else paul was stating about the gift of the Holy spirit was natural. And Jesus wont tell us to go and heal the sick!

or do you mean, medicine from heaven....

Comment

I'm really not certain what it is you are trying to say.

Folks believing that God can heal through handkerchiefs aren't the ones who are goofy. It is those who have television programs dedicated to selling the ones that are "anointed" that are goofy to me.

If you are trying to be condescending regarding the leadership of this site and their decision with regards to the Christmas season . . .

1) There is a forum where you can address your concerns . . .

and

2) This one isn't it . . .

If you have an issue with the decision regarding the Christmas threads then ask away in the Chat to the Moderators section of the forum. Doing so would be in line with forum rules and keep you from "getting a spanking".
                      Please keep your sense of humor.

I believe that on TV God is for sale in about every catagory that they preach. Healing is just one facet . Makes me think of the money changers that Jesus threw out of the temple grounds.

I also think that healing by way of a handkerchief is goofy. Unless we believe that it is goofy, that one should wash in the jordon is being goofy, which I don't. Not if the revelation is true ! The problem is, most if not all of what we see on TV is false teachings and false promises, and false healings.

It amazes me how easily people will part with their money, if they think they are getting a good deal. I am waiting for someone on TV to make this statement > "For sale"

I have already heard that you can get something for free, with a gift or love offering attached to it. But people think that they are getting a great deal . A back door way of trying to either buy God or find God.

Keep a smile on your face. I do, works for me !

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
                        Hi Bladers,

One of the reasons I ask about healing is partly due to the photograph of the person you have in your profile. I have had people ask me what I think of Benny Hinn and is he for real?

I have been taught in church, that it is God that heals and not us. So for example if Benny Hinn prayed for someone and they didn't get healed - does this make him a fraud?

Thats why I am asking how the the gift of healing works?

If God chooses not to heal a person, for whatever reason - is that the fault of the person who has the 'gift of healing' and prays for others to get healed.

Chad
                        Chad

The interesting thing about any subject is , if it is true or not. Healing is one of the gifts of the Spirit. Its one of the nine manifestations mentioned in I Corinth. 12.

But there are false everything within the Word of God, that warns us.

False teacher - false brethren - false Christ , called the anti-christ - false healings etc.

Just someone being healed or the appearance of being healed, is not a guarantee that it is of the one true God.

Comment

What do you mean? If the healing did not come from God, where does it come from?

Chad

The interesting thing about any subject is , if it is true or not. Healing is one of the gifts of the Spirit. Its one of the nine manifestations mentioned in I Corinth. 12.

But there are false everything within the Word of God, that warns us.

False teacher - false brethren - false Christ , called the anti-christ - false healings etc.

Just someone being healed or the appearance of being healed, is not a guarantee that it is of the one true God.

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
                            What do you mean? If the healing did not come from God, where does it come from?
                            From the false one, the deceiver.

Some people look ill or sick just because they are possessed with a devil spirit. If a false brethren cast out a devil spirit, and the person looks healed. It is to give a false impression, so that other false things can be done. We are told by God, that the adversary will try "by any means" to deceive.

This is why God tells us, that my people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge. It is our lack of knowledge that allows us to be deceived.

Comment

That sounds creepy

From the false one, the deceiver.

Some people look ill or sick just because they are possessed with a devil spirit. If a false brethren cast out a devil spirit, and the person looks healed. It is to give a false impression, so that other false things can be done. We are told by God, that the adversary will try "by any means" to deceive.

This is why God tells us, that my people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge. It is our lack of knowledge that allows us to be deceived.

Comment

Working...
                              X