Land promised to Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land promised to Israel

Land promised to Israel to me includes the USA. I am using this verse of scripture to define that:

Joshua 1:3-4 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.

To me this means heading west to setting of the sun, was all the land given. To me this verse includes the west. Does anyone else see it that way or is it just me?

Re: Land promised to Israel

Originally posted by kyCyd View Post
    Land promised to Israel to me includes the USA. I am using this verse of scripture to define that:

Joshua 1:3-4 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.

To me this means heading west to setting of the sun, was all the land given. To me this verse includes the west. Does anyone else see it that way or is it just me?
    The great sea was the Mediterranean Sea. Remember that it is a LAND with boundaries, not oceans. In Joshua 9:1 the "Great Sea" touched Lebanon, making it the Mediterranean.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
      The great sea was the Mediterranean Sea. Remember that it is a LAND with boundaries, not oceans. In Joshua 9:1 the "Great Sea" touched Lebanon, making it the Mediterranean.
      Thanks for your input. The word ocean did not exist. The “toward the setting of the sun” being mentioned after the great sea to me takes it farther, not just up to the great sea, that is why the question. Just wanting to know if anyone else sees the western areas also being a part as I do.

Comment

Thanks for your input. The word ocean did not exist. The “toward the setting of the sun” being mentioned after the great sea to me takes it farther, not just up to the great sea, that is why the question. Just wanting to know if anyone else sees the western areas also being a part as I do.
        The passage describes the boundaries of the land, giving topological features for each compass point. I believe "the wilderness" marks the southern border, "this Lebanon" marks the northern boarder, "the river Euphrates" marks the eastern boarder, and the "great sea" marks the western boarder. When he mentions "toward the going down of the sun" this doesn't mark a boundary, it establishes a compass point direction. If Joshua were to travel toward the going down of the sun, he would come to a coast line, and that coast line marks the western most extent of the land. Remember, the promise concerns how much land Joshua can "walk", which would end at the river Euphrates and the coast of the Mediterranean sea, as Walls points out. If Joshua were to go further west, he would need a boat and would no longer be walking.

Comment

Originally posted by CadyandZoe View Post
          The passage describes the boundaries of the land, giving topological features for each compass point. I believe "the wilderness" marks the southern border, "this Lebanon" marks the northern boarder, "the river Euphrates" marks the eastern boarder, and the "great sea" marks the western boarder. When he mentions "toward the going down of the sun" this doesn't mark a boundary, it establishes a compass point direction. If Joshua were to travel toward the going down of the sun, he would come to a coast line, and that coast line marks the western most extent of the land. Remember, the promise concerns how much land Joshua can "walk", which would end at the river Euphrates and the coast of the Mediterranean sea, as Walls points out. If Joshua were to go further west, he would need a boat and would no longer be walking.
          This is true on the walking part...I guess I see it as God saying to go west young man go west. So do you see verses like this then only meaning areas around the defined area you mention?

Zechariah 8:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Behold, I will save my people from the east country, and from the west country;

I guess I see scripture as being more a world thing.

Comment

Thanks for your input. The word ocean did not exist.
            For that matter, the USA didn't exist either. So you can't inherit what doesn't exist.
            9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Comment

Originally posted by jesusinmylife View Post
              For that matter, the USA didn't exist either. So you can inherit what doesn't exist.
              I would say yes you can inherit if your feet walk upon it. So that would include the west.

Comment

I would say yes you can inherit if your feet walk upon it. So that would include the west.
                Then you answered your own question. Joshua never walked on the USA.
                9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Comment

For that matter, the USA didn't exist either. So you can't inherit what doesn't exist.
                  It was an everlasting covenant.

Comment

It was an everlasting covenant.

Seeing as how it never happened, it would appear it wasn't.
                    Where is this everlasting covenant found? I'd be interested to see how the USA is specifically mentioned. Or other places outside of what was Israel.

Comment

kyCyd,

Think about it for a second, by your logic it would include everything before him and then all the way around to come up against his back. I'm not joking or trying to be rude with that comment- just in case anyone sees it that way.

I'm an American and I love my country. But it's not connected biblically with Israel in this way.

Edit to say: From what I understand God promised everything from the Nile River in Egypt to Lebanon, everything from the Mediterranean Sea to the Euphrates river, everything Israel currently has, all of what is now called Palestine (including Gaza), some of Egypt and Syria, Jordan, and parts of of Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
                      Day by day
                      Oh Dear Lord
                      Three things I pray
                      To see thee more clearly
                      Love thee more dearly
                      Follow thee more nearly
                      Day by day

Comment

Seeing as how it never happened, it would appear it wasn't.
                        Where is this everlasting covenant found? I'd be interested to see how the USA is specifically mentioned. Or other places outside of what was Israel.
                        Weren't they fulfilling a promise to Abraham?

Genesis 17:19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Deuteronomy 19:8 And if the LORD thy God enlarge thy coast, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, and give thee all the land which he promised to give unto thy fathers;

Therefore the footsteps didn't just have to be Joshua to me. As I said I see things more worldly.

Comment

Deu 34:1 Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Mount Pisgah east of Jericho, and there the LORD showed him the whole land: the territory of Gilead as far north as the town of Dan;
                          Deu 34:2 the entire territory of Naphtali; the territories of Ephraim and Manasseh; the territory of Judah as far west as the Mediterranean Sea;
                          Deu 34:3 the southern part of Judah; and the plain that reaches from Zoar to Jericho, the city of palm trees.
                          Deu 34:4 Then the LORD said to Moses, "This is the land that I promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob I would give to their descendants. I have let you see it, but I will not let you go there."

I would say the west (USA) is not included.

Comment

Weren't they fulfilling a promise to Abraham?

Genesis 17:19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Deuteronomy 19:8 And if the LORD thy God enlarge thy coast, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, and give thee all the land which he promised to give unto thy fathers;

Therefore the footsteps didn't just have to be Joshua to me. As I said I see things more worldly.
                            Was the covenant about inheriting the USA, or was He perhaps talking about something else?

So the question here would be, which land specifically was promised?

The main thing is to look at things in context. We can see things any way we want them. But what did the author intend, and what did the listeners understand? And more importantly, who was this covenant made to? Because Israel did inherit the known world in it's day. But it's pretty clear in Jesus time that Israel's boundaries did not include the rest of the geographical world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalahari View Post
                              Deu 34:1 Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Mount Pisgah east of Jericho, and there the LORD showed him the whole land: the territory of Gilead as far north as the town of Dan;
                              Deu 34:2 the entire territory of Naphtali; the territories of Ephraim and Manasseh; the territory of Judah as far west as the Mediterranean Sea;
                              Deu 34:3 the southern part of Judah; and the plain that reaches from Zoar to Jericho, the city of palm trees.
                              Deu 34:4 Then the LORD said to Moses, "This is the land that I promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob I would give to their descendants. I have let you see it, but I will not let you go there."

I would say the west (USA) is not included.
                              So you don't see God ever enlarging a coast since then. Thanks for all of you inputs.

Comment

Working...
                              X