Heaven & Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaven & Souls

Does your soul go to Heaven right after your body dies ?

Re: Heaven & Souls

2 Corinthians 5:1-8 speaks of being "unclothed" (that is, apart from ones body, upon death [until the (future, bodily) resurrection]) but nevertheless present with the Lord (that is, pertaining to believers).

The context of those verses being, we are eagerly yearning to "be clothed upon" (that is, immediately clothed upon with our glorified bodies, APART from having to die first... this is our earnest HOPE... but we are willing to die instead, if it be the Lord's will that we die before our Rapture occurs [v.4 refers to the LIVING believers, at the time of our Rapture (1Cor15:53b; whereas 53a refers to "the dead in Christ")]... no one is really eagerly hoping/yearning to DIE [be "unclothed"], but we ARE eagerly yearning to be "clothed upon" [(receiving our glorified bodies) apart from having to die first])

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Just_a_man View Post
      Wherever Jesus is now, there your soul will be.
      As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Comment

"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

Why wait to die?
        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
          2 Corinthians 5:1-8 speaks of being "unclothed" (that is, apart from ones body, upon death [until the (future, bodily) resurrection]) but nevertheless present with the Lord (that is, pertaining to believers).

The context of those verses being, we are eagerly yearning to "be clothed upon" (that is, immediately clothed upon with our glorified bodies, APART from having to die first... this is our earnest HOPE... but we are willing to die instead, if it be the Lord's will that we die before our Rapture occurs [v.4 refers to the LIVING believers, at the time of our Rapture (1Cor15:53b; whereas 53a refers to "the dead in Christ")]... no one is really eagerly hoping/yearning to DIE [be "unclothed"], but we ARE eagerly yearning to be "clothed upon" [(receiving our glorified bodies) apart from having to die first])

Hope that helps.
          Is, "groan," in verses 2 and 4 the same, "groan," of Romans 8:23? What is being groaned for? What does verse 3 mean? Found when? When will we be clothed in our house from heaven? While dead are we still in our earthly house of tabernacle, yet it be dissolved, awaiting, the hope, the redemption of the body, the adoption?

Comment

Only if you are saved and "in Christ". The soul and spirit always remain together. Therefore Stephen said "Lord Jesus receive m spirit".

Comment

No, when man dies, his soul dies, the general life force (spirit) goes back to God and the body decays. Even many Christians today believe the lie Satan told Eve: Ye shall not surely die: and think they have an immortal soul that flies to heaven to walk in the lanes of paradise and cheer before the throne. This idea is so embedded that even some Bible translations have been adapted to sustain this and if they aren't, people just read begot instead of became .

When God created Adam, it doesn't say He gave Adam a living soul, but Adam became a living soul. Being made originally to the image of God, we consist of body, soul and spirit. These three make man (1 Thes. 5:23). What Scripture understands with soul is quite easy to figure out with the help of a concordance.

Let's look at the 5 senses, the organs are part of the body but the senses themselves of the soul:

Deu 12:20 When the LORD thy God shall enlarge thy border, as he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because thy soul longeth to eat flesh; thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.

Psa 107:18 Their soul abhorreth all manner of food; and they draw near unto the gates of death.*

Pro 16:24 Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

There is much more to be found, but you'll get the idea. When we die our soul goes to the grave:

Job 33:22 Yea, his soul draweth near unto the grave, and his life to the destroyers.

Psa 30:3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Psa 89:48 What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.

Part of our believing in Christ is that in Him is aionic life:

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Some try to read here they will not die if they believe in Christ, but that is not what it says. shall live , i.e. will be resurrected at the promised time, at the end of the current aion.

Some use this verse:

Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

to say that the soul lives on, but that is not what it says. The converted sinner will die believing he will be resurrected at the last day as Martha says:

Joh 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Knowing we are going to die completely — no part of us is immortal — and believing Christ will resurrect us is admitting we need Christ to live. He who believes his immortal soul lives on rejects the redeeming of Christ because who needs a resurrection if one is immortal? Those who say that at the resurrection they will be given a body, should show where Scripture learns there are bodiless lifeforms. All creatures including the spiritual have bodies:

1Co 15:40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

Aristarkos

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel567 View Post
                Only if you are saved and "in Christ". The soul and spirit always remain together. Therefore Stephen said "Lord Jesus receive m spirit".
                Did not Jesus say the same thing? Luke 23:46 Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Where was his soul? Acts 2:27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades,

Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. πνεῦμά
                Luke 23:46
                πνεῦμά
                Acts 2:27
                ψυχήν

Comment

Originally posted by Aijalon View Post
                  Wherever Jesus is now, there your soul will be.
                  And what happens to the spirit of the wicked at death? Where does it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post
                    And what happens to the spirit of the wicked at death? Where does it go?
                    I think that the wicked soul goes to "the pit". That may be an analogy of what the people of ancient times would have used as a waste dump. To be honest, I'm not sure. On an apologetic note though, I think it is better for us to reinforce the ideas of where a righteous soul does go, and focus on how we know it is a better place to be, rather than talk about metaphysical-death in terms analogous to physical reality. Keep it abstract.... Keep it metaphorical.
                    As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Aijalon View Post
                      I think that the wicked soul goes to "the pit". That may be an analogy of what the people of ancient times would have used as a waste dump. To be honest, I'm not sure. On an apologetic note though, I think it is better for us to reinforce the ideas of where a righteous soul does go, and focus on how we know it is a better place to be, rather than talk about metaphysical-death in terms analogous to physical reality. Keep it abstract.... Keep it metaphorical.
                      Well, we have certainly confirmed that the soul/spirit of the righteous returns to God at death. I don't think it's out of place to discuss where the soul of the wicked goes to at death as well.

But thanks for trying...

Comment

Well, we have certainly confirmed that the soul/spirit of the righteous returns to God at death. I don't think it's out of place to discuss where the soul of the wicked goes to at death as well.

But thanks for trying...
                        I must have missed that confirmation then, could you point me to it?

Aristarkos

Comment

But thanks for trying...
                          What does, soul/spirit, mean?

Comment

Originally posted by percho View Post
                            What does, soul/spirit, mean?
                            Man is made of soul, spirit, and flesh. At death, the flesh rots away in the grave, and the soul/spirit returns to God. But to be honest, I'm not sure whether the soul is different from the spirit or whether they are the same, but used interchangeably?

Comment

Man is made of soul, spirit, and flesh. At death, the flesh rots away in the grave, and the soul/spirit returns to God. But to be honest, I'm not sure whether the soul is different from the spirit or whether they are the same, but used interchangeably?
                              Man is made from the earth. God breathed into that made from the earth the breath of lives, spirit, and what was made from the earth became, living soul. That is it began at the moment it became living to gather data through the five senses.

At death the spirit returns to God who gave it the body returns to the earth and the soul no longer gathers data. The soul is natural as is the body.

In these verses from 1 Cor 15

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
                              46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

The word natural there is ψυχικός psychikos and comes from the word for soul. From ψυχή (G5590)

The soul isn't spiritual but natural.

The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Comment

Working...
                              X