What was Paul doing? Animal sacrifices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Paul doing? Animal sacrifices

What do you think Paul was doing in Acts 21 when he participated in animal sacrifices in the temple? I somewhat struggle with all possible resolutions to this question, unless you have one I haven't heard.

“Then Paul took the men, and the next day, having been purified with them, entered the temple to announce the expiration of the days of purification, at which time an offering should be made for each one of them.”
    Acts‬ 21:26‬ NKJV‬‬
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Re: What was Paul doing? Animal sacrifices

Animal sacrifice was for more than just sin offerings.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
      Animal sacrifice was for more than just sin offerings.
      I'm not disputing that, but were any of the offering types still valid after the cross?
      Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

No, animal sacrifices were not valid after the cross.

I think Paul participated because he said he would become whom ever to win people for Christ.
        1 Cor 9:22

Comment

He was not participating in an animal sacrifice. The men he went to the temple with were completing the Nazarite vow, they were cutting off their hair and burning it as a symbol of the ending of the vow. Paul did not actually make a sacrifice, usually only the priests or Levites would make the sacrifice at this time, people would come to the Temple and buy approved animals to have sacrificed. We also have to remember that at this time Christianity was still mainly a sect of Judaism, especially in Jerusalem, they were still following the Law, worshiping in the Temple, and following Jewish customs. The Gentiles had requirements that they were to abstain from, that did not have a bearing on the Jewish Christians, Luke reminds the Gentiles what they are to abstain from in Acts 21 (food sacrificed to idols, blood, strangled animals, and sexual immorality).

We have to remember that Christianity as we have it today and even by the time of the Early Church Fathers took time to develop, it was not like once Pentecost happened boom Christianity is its own thing with all its doctrine and ritual ironed out. Most Christians were still Jews or God-fearing Gentiles (that is Gentiles who hung out in Synagogues and tried to follow the Jewish Law, but didn't want to get circumcised and fully convert to Judaism); remember what happened when Paul preached to proper pagans and philosophers in Athens at the Areopagus, he was mocked and a most didn't believe (granted there were a few that did believe, but not nearly as many as in the other Gentile cities).

So to answer the question of if he sinned, I would say no, he did what the leader of the church at Jerusalem asked him to do and he followed his own conscience in the matter. If he had a theological problem with offering or paying for sacrifices then he would have objected. We know that Paul had no problem with standing up to other leaders in the church, examples Acts 15 disagreeing with the people from Judea, disagreeing with Judaizers, and disagreeing with Peter. I would be more concerned with him possibly sinning by not following the promptings and warnings of the of the Holy Spirit by continuing on to Jerusalem in Acts 21; instead of following the disciples that he stayed with in Tyre, the prophecy of Philip the deacon's daughters, and Agabus in Caesarea, which all said don't go to Jerusalem.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC View Post
            No, animal sacrifices were not valid after the cross.

I think Paul participated because he said he would become whom ever to win people for Christ.
            1 Cor 9:22
            These people were already Christians, they were part of the Church in Jerusalem, that is why James said "we have four men under a vow." They were part of his congregation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
              What do you think Paul was doing in Acts 21 when he participated in animal sacrifices in the temple? I somewhat struggle with all possible resolutions to this question, unless you have one I haven't heard.

“Then Paul took the men, and the next day, having been purified with them, entered the temple to announce the expiration of the days of purification, at which time an offering should be made for each one of them.”
              An interesting observation. The text suggests some kind of sacrifice according to the Mosaic covenant, but there is nothing implicit that it an animal sacrifice, but I may be wrong.

This leads me to conclude that the early Jewish converts somehow integrated part of the law (Judaic customs) into Christian worship. This would make sense if you remember that the complete "blueprint" of Christianity as we have it today was yet at its formative stage back then.

Another reason I suspect for the sacrifices is to appease the unbelieving Jews that the new religion (Christianity) is not too far removed from the tradition and practices they have observed since coming out of Egypt and that it is the same God.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. Barnabas View Post
                These people were already Christians, they were part of the Church in Jerusalem, that is why James said "we have four men under a vow." They were part of his congregation.
                That's not exactly true. It is an unwinnable argument that all the Jews in the temple were converted.

Acts 21: 27 And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,

28 Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.

29 (For they had seen before with him in the city Trophimus an Ephesian, whom they supposed that Paul had brought into the temple.)

Verses 27-28 clearly show that not ALL the Jews were believers as claimed. Remember the uproar when Paul challenged them in Ephesus? Those who lost trade because Paul condemned Diana as no more than an idol, moved the people to lynch Paul...plus they falsely accused Paul of bringing a Gentile into the temple.

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post
                  That's not exactly true. It is an unwinnable argument that all the Jews in the temple were converted.

Acts 21: 27 And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,

28 Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.

29 (For they had seen before with him in the city Trophimus an Ephesian, whom they supposed that Paul had brought into the temple.)

Verses 27-28 clearly show that not ALL the Jews were believers as claimed. Remember the uproar when Paul challenged them in Ephesus? Those who lost trade because Paul condemned Diana as no more than an idol, moved the people to lynch Paul...plus they falsely accused Paul of bringing a Gentile into the temple.
                  I am not saying that the people in the Temple were Christians. I am saying that the people that James mentioned under the vow were Christians; since he says we have four men under a vow. The use of we would assume that they belong to the Church in Jerusalem or belong to the Christian sect of Judaism at the time. Of course not all Jews were believers, there were many spread throughout Judah and the Gentile world who were Jew who had rejected or were ignorant of the Gospel.

Comment

Animal sacrifices are not the abominations as many Christians see them. Jesus was the one on Mount Sinai that gave the orders to Moses that were to be carried out forever by the house of Israel. (If you don't know that Jesus is the God on Sinai with Moses, read Psalm 81. That same God is returning.) Jesus Himself said several times that they should follow and keep the law to be saved. Further, Zechariah 14 makes it rather clear that sacrifices will resume during the Millennium. So, we should seek to figure out why rather than seek to dismiss it.

Nowhere in the law does it imply that it is temporary. In fact, it says repeatedly that the ordinances are to be observed forever. Jesus also never indicated the law was to dismissed in any way. All this is for the physical descendants of Israel, not Gentiles. The first church counsel made that clear in Acts 15. But, nowhere in Acts 15 does it say Jews no longer need to follow the law. If Paul indeed went and made an animal sacrifice in the temple, he was following the law that applied to him and the rest of the disciples. A Jew following the law does not in any way undo the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. That is the misnomer that causes confusion.

Comment

I think it is important to note that Paul was not a perfect man in the flesh; like you and I he sinned.

I am not God, so I don t know, but another instance where it seemed he sinned, was circumcising Timothy.

Comment

Re:
                        'Paul was doing in Acts 21 when he participated in animal sacrifices in the temple?'

I do not see in Acts 21 where 'Paul participated in animal sacrifices in the temple'.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony P View Post
                          Animal sacrifices are not the abominations as many Christians see them. Jesus was the one on Mount Sinai that gave the orders to Moses that were to be carried out forever by the house of Israel. (If you don't know that Jesus is the God on Sinai with Moses, read Psalm 81. That same God is returning.) Jesus Himself said several times that they should follow and keep the law to be saved. Further, Zechariah 14 makes it rather clear that sacrifices will resume during the Millennium. So, we should seek to figure out why rather than seek to dismiss it.

Nowhere in the law does it imply that it is temporary. In fact, it says repeatedly that the ordinances are to be observed forever. Jesus also never indicated the law was to dismissed in any way. All this is for the physical descendants of Israel, not Gentiles. The first church counsel made that clear in Acts 15. But, nowhere in Acts 15 does it say Jews no longer need to follow the law. If Paul indeed went and made an animal sacrifice in the temple, he was following the law that applied to him and the rest of the disciples. A Jew following the law does not in any way undo the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. That is the misnomer that causes confusion.
                          How evident has the confusion become! Good Lord, help us!

Comment

What do you mean Gerhard?

Comment

Originally posted by tea View Post
                              What do you mean Gerhard?
                              I mean I believe the Scriptures ... only. And there's NOTHING in Acts 21 saying or implying that Paul made animal or blood sacrifice. On the contrary the WHOLE of Acts 21 clearly shows right the opposite. And in 21, it says Paul "was praying in the temple", and that he was "found not guilty of what the Jews accused him of."
                              But here come his accusers and accuse Paul that he 'sinned'. Goodness gracious... 2000 years later the same faked story!

Comment

Working...
                              X