Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Adam originally both male and female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Adam originally both male and female?

I know this sounds kind of crazy, but I read a newer "Ancient Aramaic" transliteration into English of Genesis and there are clues clearly given in the wording that point to the possibility that God created Adam originally to be both male and female.

In my search for a more or accurate translation of the Bible I found Victor Alexander's Ancient Aramaic translation of Genesis along with other books of the Old Testament and the complete New Testament.

These versions also have the word "she" in a couple of places referring to the Holy Spirit.

I know we have to be careful of false prophets and false teachers these days but I don't have a feeling that Victor is trying to deceive anyone. These are very interesting versions.

My thoughts are, have we put God in a box... Could God, being perfect...balanced, have a mothering or nurturing attribute in the Holy Spirit?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Was Adam originally both male and female?

No. The narrative says God took part of Adam's side (translated as rib) and "fashioned" a female, it does not say God took "Adam's female half" out.

"Fashioned" is a strong word here, because it indicates God made Eve different than Adam.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

No. Adam was created all male. God took his rib and as Keck said, "fashioned" Eve. She is different from Adam. Coming from his body, but not being his body. Being in the image of God as Adam, but not the same as Adam.
      sigpic
      ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Originally posted by QuinBarry View Post
        I know this sounds kind of crazy, but I read a newer "Ancient Aramaic" transliteration into English of Genesis and there are clues clearly given in the wording that point to the possibility that God created Adam originally to be both male and female.
        He wasn't. In Hebrew God took a "curve" from Adam which most likely is DNA which has a curve. All men and women have similar building blocks and at the DNA level it would be easy for God to create a female from a male, or a male from a female.

These versions also have the word "she" in a couple of places referring to the Holy Spirit.
        Pronouns do not determine the actual sex of things in Hebrew because there is only masculine and feminine and not neuter like in Greek and more modern languages. Spirit in Hebrew is a feminine noun but that doesn't mean spirits are females.

What are your thoughts?
        Take a course in Hebrew grammar.
        James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

In my search for a more or accurate translation of the Bible.....
          Not sure if in your investigative search, you've stumbled upon this beauty. it's very easy to understand.

http://lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

51YptrmIPUL._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
          9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Comment

Originally posted by jesusinmylife View Post
            Not sure if in your investigative search, you've stumbled upon this beauty. it's very easy to understand.
            Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

This is one of those things that I just discovered and now know was missing from my life until now!

Comment

No. Gen 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."God created two people, Adam a male who named his wife Eve. Gen 3:20 "And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living." Interestingly we still use these two names to this very day. I have never met an Adam that was not a "him." I believe Adam had some of what we would call female attributes and Eve likewise also had some what we would call male attributes which were deformed by the fall. Adam had to be a male since he impregnated Eve and she bore a son named Cain. Women don't impregnate men and men don't bear children.

Benji

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

This is one of those things that I just discovered and now know was missing from my life until now!
                My work here is done then. Glad I could be of some service.
                9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Comment

Was he either? I mean can you have a male if there was no female? Creating something other than, opposite from, defines the other. By creating Eve God defined Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceX2 View Post
                    Was he either? I mean can you have a male if there was no female?
                    Of course you can. XY chromosome, male body parts, etc. Is this a serious question?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                      Of course you can. XY chromosome, male body parts, etc. Is this a serious question?
                      It was a serious question. Without female chromosomes and female body parts Adam's would have just been chormosomes and body parts.

Comment

It was a serious question. Without female chromosomes and female body parts Adam's would have just been chormosomes and body parts.
                        God made Eve from Adam's rib, not his female parts.

Comment

This thread reminds me of a funny video I saw recently.

Comment

Originally posted by jesusinmylife View Post
                            This thread reminds me of a funny video I saw recently.
                            I have a better one!

Comment

In my search for a more or accurate translation of the Bible I found Victor Alexander's Ancient Aramaic translation of Genesis along with other books of the Old Testament and the complete New Testament.

I know we have to be careful of false prophets and false teachers these days but I don't have a feeling that Victor is trying to deceive anyone. These are very interesting versions.

My thoughts are, have we put God in a box... Could God, being perfect...balanced, have a mothering or nurturing attribute in the Holy Spirit?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

What are your thoughts?
                              You're not the first to suggest such a thing, but no, the Biblical text does not support the reading.

Was he either? I mean can you have a male if there was no female? Creating something other than, opposite from, defines the other. By creating Eve God defined Adam.
                              He was male; female isn't required for male to be defined, it merely focuses that definition in relation to (the feminine). Definition here meaning something close to 'different than'.

Comment

Working...
                              X