Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything happens for a reason???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Everything happens for a reason???

    I frequently hear committed Christians (whose faith I admire) say "Everything happens for a reason" and "There are no coincidences" as if these phrases were straight out of the Bible.

    I know the phrases themselves are not in the Bible word for word...but are these concepts biblical?

    I know Romans 8:28 says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." But to me that means that God can use every situation for our good, not that everything happens for a reason (or that everything that happens is God's will). But I could be interpreting it wrong?

    Any thoughts, or other helpful scripture?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Esperanza32 View Post
    I frequently hear committed Christians (whose faith I admire) say "Everything happens for a reason" and "There are no coincidences" as if these phrases were straight out of the Bible.

    I know the phrases themselves are not in the Bible word for word...but are these concepts biblical?

    I know Romans 8:28 says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." But to me that means that God can use every situation for our good, not that everything happens for a reason (or that everything that happens is God's will). But I could be interpreting it wrong?

    Any thoughts, or other helpful scripture?
    I think it happens for a reason. Specifically God's reasons. That's the hard part. Reconciling the fact that at times things happen for know reason of our own. I don't no everything...but I do no that sometimes we can't comprehend everything that God does, thus we at times we feel as if things we have done are purposeless. I think we can make these things purposeless to ourselves, depending upon how we use the things that God has given us.

    Comment


    • #3
      Its raining really hard where I am right now. There will probably be some little critters around here that will drown. Will that be for a reason or are you only speaking about human things?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mikebr View Post
        Its raining really hard where I am right now. There will probably be some little critters around here that will drown. Will that be for a reason or are you only speaking about human things?
        Sure. God knew it was going to rain and purposed it to rain at the time for a specific reason...I may not understand all of the logistics to exactly why..but he did plan it. We're getting into the whole Job discussion again...

        Comment


        • #5
          My opinion is that God does not direct every little thing that happens on Earth. I mean, I do not think God decides whether a bug is going to eat another bug, or whether it is going to rain or snow, you know! I mean, you could be silly with that line of thinking and say that God decided to let me walk by a certain store yesterday and find a perfect Christmas outfit on sale! But I think kinda downplays how important God is, by thinking God is involved in every single little thing in our entire lives.

          I mean, I get annoyed when people on reality tv shows pray for God to help them. I'm like, "First of all, I don't think God cares about who wins, and second of all, is it even right to ask God to help you win something like that?"

          God made the world and God decided how it is going to run, but I don't think God like "runs" it every day, making every tiny little decision.
          Last edited by Bex4Jesus; Dec 10th 2008, 04:23 PM. Reason: used a pronoun!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
            My opinion is that God does not direct every little thing that happens on Earth. I mean, I do not think God decides whether a bug is going to eat another bug, or whether it is going to rain or snow, you know! I mean, you could be silly with that line of thinking and say that God decided to let me walk by a certain store yesterday and find a perfect Christmas outfit on sale! But I think kinda downplays how important God is, by thinking God is involved in every single little thing in our entire lives.

            I mean, I get annoyed when people on reality tv shows pray for God to help them. I'm like, "First of all, I don't think God cares about who wins, and second of all, is it even right to ask God to help you win something like that?"

            God made the world and God decided how it is going to run, but I don't think God like "runs" it every day, making every tiny little decision.
            Its funny you mentioned winning and losing. I teach and coach, one year at a Christian school. We always prayed for victory. About halfway through the year it hit me (I'm kinda slow) that we were playing other Christian schools who were praying for victory. Yes I agree I don't think we won for a reason and lost for a reason. I could be wrong though. If I am, it must be for a reason.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
              My opinion is that God does not direct every little thing that happens on Earth. I mean, I do not think God decides whether a bug is going to eat another bug, or whether it is going to rain or snow, you know! I mean, you could be silly with that line of thinking and say that God decided to let me walk by a certain store yesterday and find a perfect Christmas outfit on sale! But I think kinda downplays how important God is, by thinking God is involved in every single little thing in our entire lives.

              I mean, I get annoyed when people on reality tv shows pray for God to help them. I'm like, "First of all, I don't think God cares about who wins, and second of all, is it even right to ask God to help you win something like that?"

              God made the world and God decided how it is going to run, but I don't think God like "runs" it every day, making every tiny little decision.
              I think he knows of everything..and his hand is in everything. That's not really saying that he himself has said.."make it rain today" but he does know of it and when it will rain...thus one can say that even tiny things like rainstorms are part of his plans. I mean if God's hand isn't in everything..whose is?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                I could be wrong though. If I am, it must be for a reason.
                So that you may know the truth, and the truth may set you free!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, I do believe everything happens for a reason in the sense that God is controlling everything, including the hard rain and drowning bugs. And I personally find the thinking in this thread to be disheartening.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
                    Well, I do believe everything happens for a reason in the sense that God is controlling everything, including the hard rain and drowning bugs. And I personally find the thinking in this thread to be disheartening.
                    Do you believe that God causes everything. There's a big difference between God causing everything and knowing about everything.

                    For instance do you believe that God caused Hitler to exterminate 6 million Jews?

                    I believe He allowed it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                      Do you believe that God causes everything. There's a big difference between God causing everything and knowing about everything.

                      For instance do you believe that God caused Hitler to exterminate 6 million Jews?

                      I believe He allowed it.
                      I believe He ordained it. I know this is 'hard talk' but that's how I see it. However, this doesn't mean God condones the evil Hitler did.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                        For instance do you believe that God caused Hitler to exterminate 6 million Jews?
                        Daniel (via Nebuchadnezzar) and Paul each make statements that it is God who determines what governing authorities are in power. Sometimes man is just not comfortable with thinking that God put Hitler in power - but Scripture says that God is in charge of all things going on in the earth, including who is ruling and when. Does that mean God condones evil actions? No. But it means that God is beyond a mere man's conception of what God could or would do. God does not answer to man, and if God, for whatever reason it may have been, was the one who put Hitler in place, it is absolutely not in contradiction with Scripture.
                        To This Day

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
                          Well, I do believe everything happens for a reason in the sense that God is controlling everything, including the hard rain and drowning bugs. And I personally find the thinking in this thread to be disheartening.
                          Is it okay to disagree without being yelled at or anything? It seems like people are getting mad about this but I just totally disagree that God put Hitler into power and things like that. Like one person said, there is a difference between God knowing what is going to happen and God sanctioning what is going to happen.

                          But if you think God put Hitler in power, then it seems (to me) that you are saying God sanctioned what Hitler did. Which he did NOT!

                          Just like in the "women" threads, LOTS of people told me that just because God allowed men to treat women badly back then did NOT mean that God thought it was right or caused it to happen.

                          Love to all

                          Bex

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
                            But if you think God put Hitler in power, then it seems (to me) that you are saying God sanctioned what Hitler did. Which he did NOT!
                            Did you read my post?

                            Paul clearly infers that God put Nero Caesar (and other oppressive rulers) into power. Would you claim that God "sanctioned" what Nero Caesar did? No.

                            You appealed to your own perceptions rather than appealing to what the Bible says.
                            To This Day

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by markedward View Post
                              Did you read my post?

                              Paul clearly infers that God put Nero Caesar (and other oppressive rulers) into power. Would you claim that God "sanctioned" what Nero Caesar did? No.

                              You appealed to your own perceptions rather than appealing to what the Bible says.
                              I'm so confused now. Please help me! You seem really knowledgeble about the Bible!

                              If God selects evil rulers (sometimes), and you must obey the evil rulers because God selected him/her, then what are our duties to the ruler? I mean, if you lived under Hitler, do you have to obey orders and kill Jews??? I mean, that can't be right, can it?

                              Love to all,

                              Bex

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X