Abstaining from blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abstaining from blood

I thought I would post about food restrictions and get some viewpoints.

The first restriction is found in Gen. 9:4

Gen 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

This gets repeated in Lev. 17:14. But we find the same restriction in a letter written to Gentiles in Acts 15.

Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

My question is, why do many Christians not give a second thought to eating say, a rare steak...or meat that has not been properly killed?

Peace.
    Ken

Interesting point, Ken. I must admit it's something I hadn't really thought out. I guess people envision people drinking blood or some vile thing. Truthfully, wouldn't animals need to be slaughtered in a kosher fashion to truly abstain from blood? Just because something is cooked well done does not mean the blood is gone, it's just cooked. I wonder if believers would see this as a NT food restriction or not? Something to think about.

God Bless!
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

The juice found in meat is called sacroplasm. It is not blood. It is blood like. Sacroplasm a form of cytoplasm (an intrinsic component of every living cell).

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        The juice found in meat is called sacroplasm. It is not blood. It is blood like. Sacroplasm a form of cytoplasm (an intrinsic component of every living cell).
        Thanks for the info. Does that mean that non kosher butchers bleed out the animals too?
        II Timothy 2:15
        Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
        Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
          Interesting point, Ken. I must admit it's something I hadn't really thought out. I guess people envision people drinking blood or some vile thing. Truthfully, wouldn't animals need to be slaughtered in a kosher fashion to truly abstain from blood? Just because something is cooked well done does not mean the blood is gone, it's just cooked. I wonder if believers would see this as a NT food restriction or not? Something to think about.

God Bless!
          Almost all of the blood is drained at the slaughter house to aid in hygene. Blood spoils faster than sacroplasm.

Comment

Ah, a science guy. (I am a fledgling stay at home astronomer) I understand the juice, but the scripture specifically mentions blood. So a rare steak all red on the inside...while tender...still contains the blood.

Peace.
            Ken

Comment

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that non kosher butchers bleed out the animals too?
              I am sure Gregg can and will answer...but I know most all butchers will hang the animal so it can bleed out...but that doesn't remove all the blood.

For example...and I don't share MY practices to say, "hey everyone, look how righteous I am!!" I am simply sharing what I do as example....anyway...last night I made pasta and meat sauce. Before I start, I soak the ground meat in water for a while, breaking all the meat up. The color of the water becomes bright pink or red, depending on how much water is in the bowl. That is the blood obviously.

I will say this....just as an experiment...if you have never soaked ground meat before using it....try it once. The first time I did I was amazed at how much better it tasted.

Peace.
              Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenrank View Post
                I thought I would post about food restrictions and get some viewpoints.

The first restriction is found in Gen. 9:4

Gen 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

This gets repeated in Lev. 17:14. But we find the same restriction in a letter written to Gentiles in Acts 15.

Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

My question is, why do many Christians not give a second thought to eating say, a rare steak...or meat that has not been properly killed?

Peace.
                Ken
                Jesus declared all foods including meat, to be clean Mark 7:19. As with anything each Christian should pray for guidance as to what God would have them eat. What ever we decide to eat is acceptable to God as long as we thank him for providing it (Thessalonians 5:18). 1 Corinthians 10:31 declares: "So whatever you eat or drink or what ever you do, do it for the Glory of God."

So Brother Ken, I respect what is on your heart. For me I thank God for the occasional medium rare steak, and I am really thankful for the BBQ ribs!

Comment

Depending on how animals are slaughtered, the blood will drain out. We almost always drained the blood out of every animal we slaughtered. I would imagine that most animals are drained of blood when they are hung up after being killed too.
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

Ah, a science guy. (I am a fledgling stay at home astronomer) I understand the juice, but the scripture specifically mentions blood. So a rare steak all red on the inside...while tender...still contains the blood.

Peace.
                    Ken

Ken, if that's your definition of blood, you'll never get all the blood out before you cook it. And as S2S pointed out, does cooking it mean it's no longer blood? The meat will be red regardless of how much blood you drain out of it.
                    Matt 9:13
                    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                    NASU

Comment

Peace.
                      Ken
                      A long time ago and after many years of "getting it wrong" I wanted to get it right. I started reading the Bible. When I first came to the passages that you mentioned, I felt that my diet might be wrong. After further research, I felt it was ok to be the meat eater that I am. I think I am more of a meat guy than a science guy.

Thank you for the original post. I enjoy the discussion as well as the trip down memory lane.

Comment

Jesus declared all foods including meat, to be clean Mark 7:19. As with anything each Christian should pray for guidance as to what God would have them eat. What ever we decide to eat is acceptable to God as long as we thank him for providing it (Thessalonians 5:18). 1 Corinthians 10:31 declares: "So whatever you eat or drink or what ever you do, do it for the Glory of God."

So Brother Ken, I respect what is on your heart. For me I thank God for the occasional medium rare steak, and I am really thankful for the BBQ ribs!
                        Gregg my brother...you are welcome to eat anything you want. I did not start this thread to make anyone see things my way. Rather...I do believe there are some NT passages that are somewhat misunderstood and should be reconsidered...nothing more or less. For example, I can't tell you how many times Peter's vision has been quoted to me as saying we can eat anything we want. Peter's vision has no more to do with food that the Pharaoh's vision had to do with fat and sick cows. The 1 Tim 4 verses, I believe, are also misunderstood because the things it is talking about aren't understood by many. No indictment on anyone....just a simple lack of knowledge.

In the Tanach (OT), eating unclean food does not make one unclean. There is NO verse that claims this. Rather, it is simply said to be sin, a breaking of a command. I say that because Messiah in Mark 7:18-19 is NOT saying you can eat anything you want...it is simply saying that eating anything unclean does not make YOU unclean.(defiled) Verse 19 is (seriously) talking about...uhmmm...waste elimination. Unclean foods are purged from your body through that process...but what comes out of your MOUTH is what defiles you. (For that comes from the heart)

Go back and read it in that light and let me know if you see what I have shared. No problem if not...I still consider you a brother either way!!

Peace.
                        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                          Ken, if that's your definition of blood, you'll never get all the blood out before you cook it. And as S2S pointed out, does cooking it mean it's no longer blood? The meat will be red regardless of how much blood you drain out of it.
                          Actually, it's brown. I don't know how old you are (I am 42), but I remember when I was young we still had a local butcher shop. The meats were never red, they were reddish leaning toward brown. When we go to a local food market NOW...and it is factory sealed...it has been injected with red dye (in some markets) but also the weight of the meat is up to 30% saline. The reason is to keep the meat red...because that is what people THINK meat is supposed to look like.

You can indeed cook it all out Mark. When doing steak on a grill...the blood drips as it is being cooked down to the coals. When doing meat in a broiler...you place it on a rack over a drip pan for the same reason. Ground meat, like I said earlier, can be soaked. One addition to last nights meal....I didn't soak the meat for as long as I generally do. When I put the now lump of ground beef in the frying pan, and the weight of the meat settled....a good amount of red juice....blood...started seeping out all sides. I simply put it back under the water and got it out.

Peace.
                          Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                            Depending on how animals are slaughtered, the blood will drain out. We almost always drained the blood out of every animal we slaughtered. I would imagine that most animals are drained of blood when they are hung up after being killed too.
                            What kind of animals do you have Mark? We are thinking about getting some sheep...I love lamb chops.

Remember too, there are all those tiny little veins running through the meat itself that doesn't drain completely.

Again, I am not judging anyone's eating habits. Just a friendly conversation.

Peace.
                            Ken

Comment

Gregg my brother...you are welcome to eat anything you want. I did not start this thread to make anyone see things my way. Rather...I do believe there are some NT passages that are somewhat misunderstood and should be reconsidered...nothing more or less. For example, I can't tell you how many times Peter's vision has been quoted to me as saying we can eat anything we want. Peter's vision has no more to do with food that the Pharaoh's vision had to do with fat and sick cows. The 1 Tim 4 verses, I believe, are also misunderstood because the things it is talking about aren't understood by many. No indictment on anyone....just a simple lack of knowledge.

In the Tanach (OT), eating unclean food does not make one unclean. There is NO verse that claims this. Rather, it is simply said to be sin, a breaking of a command. I say that because Messiah in Mark 7:18-19 is NOT saying you can eat anything you want...it is simply saying that eating anything unclean does not make YOU unclean.(defiled) Verse 19 is (seriously) talking about...uhmmm...waste elimination. Unclean foods are purged from your body through that process...but what comes out of your MOUTH is what defiles you. (For that comes from the heart)

Go back and read it in that light and let me know if you see what I have shared. No problem if not...I still consider you a brother either way!!

Peace.
                              Ken
                              Good discussion should never be a deal breaker. I have enjoyed your posts through out this site and now is not any different.

I would say that the letters to the Church concerning food were to stop the Christian Jews and the Christian Gentiles from fighting with each other. That said I do not understand how you interpret NT writings that say to give thanks for what we choose to eat as not just that. Maybe I am misunderstanding your position. Are you coming from one of health or from obedience/sin?

Comment

Working...
                              X