Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Genesis 3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about Genesis 3

    2And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, 3but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"

    It appears that Eve 'added to God's word' in this passage, which is definitely a no-no, but this was before she ate of the fruit, and therefore before the fall. So why did Eve make this error?
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

  • #2
    God told Adam not to eat from the tree (Gen 2:17) before Eve was even created. There's no record of how Eve found out it was forbidden; apparently either God told her and it's not recorded, or Adam told her (and that's not recorded either). It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the Bible is not an exhaustive account of absolutely everything God said to them. I think this is a non-issue.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
      2And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, 3but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"

      It appears that Eve 'added to God's word' in this passage, which is definitely a no-no, but this was before she ate of the fruit, and therefore before the fall. So why did Eve make this error?
      I don't think she was adding as much as she was giving us more detail.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        God told Adam, Adam told Eve. So either Adam added the part of you cannot
        touch or die, or Eve added which doesn't make sense for her to add it.
        Therefore if Adam added it to instill fear into Eve, he is guilty of adding to
        the word of God - Rev.22:19;

        Is this why Eve stumbled? Are we as guilty as Adam if we add something to
        the word in hopes of making others obey it by adding a fear factor that is
        not there and once that fear factor is proven false, will not everything else
        we have said be viewed as questionable and we have lost our goal because
        we thought the word wasn't adequate to do what was needed so we added.

        Is this why Adam is held responsible for the sin and not Eve?

        RJ

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
          2And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, 3but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"

          It appears that Eve 'added to God's word' in this passage, which is definitely a no-no, but this was before she ate of the fruit, and therefore before the fall. So why did Eve make this error?

          LORD God commanded the man
          about the Tree (Gen 2:16), Adam told his wife, Eve.

          Second hand info is easy to misquote.
          My guess is that she might have added to what Adam told her for safty matters, "if we shouldn't eat from the tree, we'd better not touch it then."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Esperanza32 View Post
            God told Adam not to eat from the tree (Gen 2:17) before Eve was even created. There's no record of how Eve found out it was forbidden; apparently either God told her and it's not recorded, or Adam told her (and that's not recorded either). It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the Bible is not an exhaustive account of absolutely everything God said to them. I think this is a non-issue.
            Not really trying to make an 'issue' out of it, I was listening to a sermon and the Pastor used this verse to illustrate the dangers of 'adding to the word' and I thought to myself ...'self, why would she make that error if sin was not in the world yet?', so I started a thread.

            Anyway, I like your response. Thanks.
            As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RJ Mac View Post
              God told Adam, Adam told Eve. So either Adam added the part of you cannot
              touch or die, or Eve added which doesn't make sense for her to add it.
              Therefore if Adam added it to instill fear into Eve, he is guilty of adding to
              the word of God - Rev.22:19;

              Is this why Eve stumbled? Are we as guilty as Adam if we add something to
              the word in hopes of making others obey it by adding a fear factor that is
              not there and once that fear factor is proven false, will not everything else
              we have said be viewed as questionable and we have lost our goal because
              we thought the word wasn't adequate to do what was needed so we added.

              Is this why Adam is held responsible for the sin and not Eve?

              RJ
              Even if Adam added to the word, it is still a sefish act comitted before the fall....a case of Adam thinking that God's word wasn't quite enough and that Adam could improve on it, so how does this happen before the fall?
              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

              Comment


              • #8
                The time frame from Adam to the fall could be anything but we do know
                he had to tell Eve for her to know it. He passed on what God had given to Him.
                Not trusting her to be obedient, did he add to the command? For if it had
                been given by God it would have been recorded when he received the
                original command but touching the fruit wasn't mentioned to Adam.

                RJ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                  Not really trying to make an 'issue' out of it
                  I know, I'm sorry I came off sounding like I thought you were making an issue. I did not mean to sound huffy! I was just in a rush because I wanted to be the first response.

                  Good for you for thinking through the finer points of Scripture and preaching you're hearing! I think sometimes I let sermons roll off of me without trying to really challenge what I'm hearing against Scripture, and then letting myself be challenged by the teaching.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why couldn't it just be an extra detail not given to us 2:17?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                      Even if Adam added to the word, it is still a sefish act comitted before the fall....a case of Adam thinking that God's word wasn't quite enough and that Adam could improve on it, so how does this happen before the fall?
                      Because of the flesh.
                      Adam was no diferent before he sinned than he was after.
                      Only his spiritual state was effected.

                      1John 2:16 For all that is in the world,

                      1:the lust of the flesh
                      2:the lust of the eyes
                      3:the pride of life,
                      is not of the Father, but is of the world.
                      Gen 3:6And when the woman saw that the tree was
                      1:good for food,
                      and that it was
                      2:pleasant to the eyes.
                      and a tree to be
                      3:desired to make one wise she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Esperanza32 View Post
                        I know, I'm sorry I came off sounding like I thought you were making an issue. I did not mean to sound huffy! I was just in a rush because I wanted to be the first response.

                        Good for you for thinking through the finer points of Scripture and preaching you're hearing! I think sometimes I let sermons roll off of me without trying to really challenge what I'm hearing against Scripture, and then letting myself be challenged by the teaching.
                        No need to apologize, I understand this place can get pretty combative.
                        As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Esperanza32 View Post
                          God told Adam not to eat from the tree (Gen 2:17) before Eve was even created. There's no record of how Eve found out it was forbidden; apparently either God told her and it's not recorded, or Adam told her (and that's not recorded either). It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the Bible is not an exhaustive account of absolutely everything God said to them. I think this is a non-issue.


                          Sometimes I wonder about myself. Perhaps I have a reasoning problem or something. Anyway, I come to the same conclusions that you do. So if I have a reasoning problem, then that means so do you, since I agree with your reasoning, lol. I have no idea why some believe that Eve added to the Word of God. There's not a hint of that anywhere in Scripture. Nowhere.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
                            Why couldn't it just be an extra detail not given to us 2:17?
                            It could be, it just seems like an odd detail to leave out...and the sermon I heard used it as an example of the dangers of adding to the word.
                            As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by divaD View Post
                              I have no idea why some believe that Eve added to the Word of God. There's not a hint of that anywhere in Scripture. Nowhere.
                              No idea huh? Maybe it's because God didn't say anything about 'not touching' but Eve did?

                              I can totally see how somebody could conclude that...it's right there in black and white...wouldn't that constitute a 'hint'?
                              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X