faith in God or are you just 'lucky' as a Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion faith in God or are you just 'lucky' as a Christian

I type this up to get some discussion going.. I hear alot of people talk about 'living' in the 'faith' of God or having 'faith' in God... then they will turn around and 'wish' you 'luck'... they make it seem like God is some person sitting in Heaven.. throwing darts into the air and hoping they land in the right places.......... Can 'faith' and 'luck' coincide together?

I have a question for you... does God rely on 'luck'?

The Great I AM.. who is Omnipresnet, 'knows' all things.. is in total control.. Totally Sovereign and His Providence is over all things...

does He rely on 'luck'.. or you being lucky?

The Bible tells us that time and chance happeneth to us all... some would probably refer to that as being 'lucky'... I certainly don't...

My personal view is that God is control .. and that if He is in control of My life.. He 'does not' need 'luck' to let things happen or to accomplish His goals thru me..... If He is for me.. and working things out for my good.. then He'll just do it.. not relying on 'lucky' circumstanses... to come to pass.. If God relies on 'luck'.. then its like He is throwing 'darts' into the air and hoping they'll land in the right spot.. My view is that He is bigger than that.. and doesnt work that way...

I'd love to hear your comments....
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Luck to me is a random, arbitrary thing.

God is neither, far as I can tell.

I think sometimes that we as human beings either a) wish people luck because we're being polite and b) somewhere in the back of our own minds perhaps hope for a bit of luck because maybe we really don't believe completely that God is in control and able to take care of us. I've wished people good luck and it was just something coming out of my mouth that I didn't really mean but didn't have anything better or more appropriate to say. To me it's a funny word that is more related to folklore and superstition than anything concrete and faith-based.

Comment

Originally posted by DaniHansen View Post
      Luck to me is a random, arbitrary thing.

God is neither, far as I can tell.
      True, however, for anything not to be arbitrary, it must be based upon criteia outside of the One choosing.

Could you state the criteria for God to choose (elect) those whome He will forgive?
      Note: Calvs & Reformed Theologists can not answer this because their theology disables them from doing so.

Comment

They are probably just trying to be polite. I'm more of a believer in faith and blessings, rather than faith and luck.

Chad

Comment

I do sort believe in luck.

Without getting in the whole "Does God actively direct everything?" versus "Does God just allow things to happen?" debate, I agree with the first argument, and so I think things happen all the time just for random reasons.

I mean, I found a dollar in the parking lot this weekend. Does that mean God just reeeeally wanted me to have a dollar? I dunno, but I thought it was just luck.

Comment

Sometimes we just say things that are cultural equivalents of "goodbye see you later."

Like when we say "Take care."

Funny, Jesus tells us to not take care!

Comment

Originally posted by theBelovedDisciple View Post
              I type this up to get some discussion going.. I hear alot of people talk about 'living' in the 'faith' of God or having 'faith' in God... then they will turn around and 'wish' you 'luck'... they make it seem like God is some person sitting in Heaven.. throwing darts into the air and hoping they land in the right places.......... Can 'faith' and 'luck' coincide together?

I have a question for you... does God rely on 'luck'?

The Great I AM.. who is Omnipresnet, 'knows' all things.. is in total control.. Totally Sovereign and His Providence is over all things...

does He rely on 'luck'.. or you being lucky?

The Bible tells us that time and chance happeneth to us all... some would probably refer to that as being 'lucky'... I certainly don't...

My personal view is that God is control .. and that if He is in control of My life.. He 'does not' need 'luck' to let things happen or to accomplish His goals thru me..... If He is for me.. and working things out for my good.. then He'll just do it.. not relying on 'lucky' circumstanses... to come to pass.. If God relies on 'luck'.. then its like He is throwing 'darts' into the air and hoping they'll land in the right spot.. My view is that He is bigger than that.. and doesnt work that way...

I'd love to hear your comments....
              I think there are things that God does not predetermine to happen..and then there are things that God does predetermine to happen...however, everything that happens in the end..is only allowed by first going through him and thus is part of his plan. confusing..no?

Or to simplify. God has an infinite amount of choices he can make regarding his plans. He knows the outcome of each choice that will be made by man as he is omniscient. Despite this, he can leave something up to chance..or to the choice of an individual...while still knowing the outcome of the choice that will be made by an individual..thus a choice an individual decides to make will always be part of his plan(actually that really wasn't much more simplified)

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far...

I agree that 'luck' has alot to do with superstition... and I truly believe its origins are paganisitc and its 'spiritual' source has nothing to do with the Kingdom of Heaven....

I guess I should of posed the question like this.. or asked this..

What is your faith 'grounded' on?

Is it 'luck'...

or is your 'faith' grounded in the Rock.. Jesus the Christ... and His Complete Atoning Work on that bloody tree.....

Look at this.....

Some would probably say the one 'thief' on the cross who was crucified next to Jesus who 'believed' on Him.. some would probably say that man was 'lucky' to be there..

He was 'lucky' cause Jesus , the Messiah was hanging next to Him.... and 'saved' Him....

Was it 'luck'... no I don't think so... He was there by the foreknowedge of God Himself... His predetermined plan....

Prior to my conversion I used to believe in 'luck' and thought the planet revolved around it... since then.... being 'lucky' or having 'luck' has become so foreign to me.. to me it makes God out to be this person who can't make up His mind.. so when He wants to do something He just throws these darts in the air.. 'hoping' they'll land in the right spots... He's more than that... much much more...

Over the past 12 years I've learned some things.. and done a 'few' word studies... I dont have time now but I'll show you something tomorrow I found when I dug into His Word ... its interesting..

I appreciate everybody's input.. and thanks again..
                Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Those who are aware of God's divine grace are lucky to have Him, not Him to have them.

Comment

I do not believe in luck. When ever I talk to someone and they have an opportunity before them I always say to them. " I won't wish you good luck because I don't believe in luck." and leave it at that.

I believe God is in control of every step of our lives, He directs our footsteps sometimes we listen other times we don't but He will all ways guide us back onto the path.
                    John 8:31-32

31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Dizzy

Comment

To me, the description of luck resembles the principal of sowing and reaping.

The bible does mention the sowing of goodness (Galatians 6:9;Hosea 10:12), Righteousness (James 3:18), Spiritually (Gal 6:8), but also trouble and evil (Job 4:8).

In that we recieve back, what we sow.

Comment

Originally posted by DIZZY View Post
                        I do not believe in luck. When ever I talk to someone and they have an opportunity before them I always say to them. " I won't wish you good luck because I don't believe in luck." and leave it at that.

I believe God is in control of every step of our lives, He directs our footsteps sometimes we listen other times we don't but He will all ways guide us back onto the path.
                        So basically your saying that you believe in predestination down to the most minute level..correct? Do you think that their is any probability factored in with this? I mean..obviously God knows the outcome of all things..but does that mean that he doesn't give men a very large range of choices to make each day in there walks? Does God forcibly will each man to tie his shoes each day, brush they're teeth each day..etc?

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
                          To me, the description of luck resembles the principal of sowing and reaping.

The bible does mention the sowing of goodness (Galatians 6:9;Hosea 10:12), Righteousness (James 3:18), Spiritually (Gal 6:8), but also trouble and evil (Job 4:8).

In that we recieve back, what we sow.
                          Do you really think we receive back everything we sow though? I don't think so...if that were the case Adam and Eve would have been condemned from the onset of the Fall..as God's justice essentially calls for they're immediate punishment upon disobedience...I'm thinking we don't exactly reep everything we sow in this life...seeing as how God generally demonstrates mercy with his justice. If we each received back exactly everything..then I think many of us would be in a bad situation within this life..thank Goodness for the grace given by God through the cross!

Comment

I don't believe in luck. "God blessed me" has been considered good luck, but no one says "God cursed me" when it has been considered bad luck.

For instance, I see a lot of football players hitting a knee and giving thanks that "God gave me the power and ability to score that game winning touchdown", but I never see the player tackled at the 2 yard line giving God the credit for not allowing him to score a touchdown.

God predestined all. There is no random chance or luck. If there was, then Paul becomes a liar when he states:

all things God works for the good of those who love him
                            For from him and through him and to him are all things
                            there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live

Comment

Below are some verses giving biblical examples of where casting lots has taken place. I don't think these verses inherently point to "luck" being something that God is dependant upon, however, they do demonstrate that some things are left up to chance(as they apply to men).

Proverbs 16:33
                              The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

Leviticus 16:8-10 And Aaron shall cast lots over the two goats, one lot for the Lord and the other lot for Azazel. And Aaron shall present the goat on which the lot fell for the Lord and use it as a sin offering, but the goat on which the lot fell for Azazel shall be presented alive before the Lord to make atonement over it, that it may be sent away into the wilderness to Azazel.

Jonah 1:7 And they said to one another, “Come, let us cast lots, that we may know on whose account this evil has come upon us.” So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah.

Proverbs 18:18 The lot puts an end to quarrels and decides between powerful contenders.

Luke 1:9 According to the custom of the priesthood, he was chosen by lot to enter the temple of the Lord and burn incense.

So I think chance is a better word to describe possible outcomes than luck.(which is actually definitially about the same thing) Ideally we hope that all of our chances within life present before us our good ones.(unfortunately that's often not the case) God knows all the possible outcomes though..and can will which ever one he wants to to fulfill his will...

Comment

Working...
                              X