Matthew 5:17-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew 5:17-18

17 - "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

18 - "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

What do these verses actually say?
    Thanks in advance -
    V
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Semantics.

Fulfill=complete=accomplish=finish...."it is finished"

Comment

Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
      17 - "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

18 - "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Thanks in advance -
      V
      Ok, dont know much, but I am going to give this one a shot.

First it was Jesus speaking to His disciples. Secondly Jesus knew what the disciples were thinking. That is why he told them "think not". I think Jesus was saying that He did not come to destroy the moral law, but to fullfill the law by giving true sense to it.

Until heaven and earth pass = I think that the law will never be destroyed until it should be fullfilled, meaning the Law of God.

Well thats it, I tried, if this is confusing. please just ignore this post!
      Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
      Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
      http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

How about this shot.

The law, having been written for the lawbreakers and the wicked, not for the righteous (1 Timothy 1:9 We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious), is still in effect today. However, the people made righteous by Christ are not under that law (Romans 6:14 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.). It has been abolished for them in His flesh (Ephesians 2:14-15 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.)

The law still stands to convict those under the law.

Comment

Thanks in advance -
          I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
          Or
          Not come to distort (as the keepers of the law were doing), but to interpret the law correctly as HE does in verses 21-48.

Comment

No one can add or subtract. No one can tear down what God builds, and we see proof of this over the Centuries. Many people have tried to destroy Gods Word, yet it still lives on.
            The Truth was foretold, then fulfilled, and the Word is still alive. And nothing, nor anyone can change, or destroy the "Will" and plans that have been written.

The Prophets were giving to the people as gifts in the past, as it is today, we have prophets as God promised today.

The Bible and God are in their original form, and will stay that way until we reach a new world!!! Amen!!!!!

Comment

Jesus is stating that he himself will fulfill the demands of the law. The law will continue to condemn the unrighteous until the end of the age.

Comment

Matthew 5:
                17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus had good reason to say what he did in verse 17 above. He was saying things that were different than what the people were accustomed to hearing. Imagine hearing him say about being peacemakers and some religious person in the audience saying, "Hey, wait a minute, Moses said eye for eye, tooth for tooth. What is this peacemaking stuff about?"

And, lo and behold, Jesus later addresses the eye for eye, tooth for tooth thing, later in the chapter continuing the same vein of thought. No longer are we to do that.

Jesus was bringing in the new things from the NT.

When He says "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:" He is referring to the NT commandments that He is newly introducing in that chapter and beyond.

Jesus is basicly saying, Don't take these radical changes I am making as a form of destroying the law or the prophets. What I am doing is not destroying but fulfilling. I am bringing completion to the role the law and the prophets played in God's overall purposes. Can anyone suppose that I am come to destroy the law and the prophets by the newness that I now introduce? I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. No one can destoy the law and the prophets: that is impossible, for all things that are written shall be fulfilled, and that was the Father's purpose in sending me.

Jesus was boldly declaring the things of the kingdom of God, His Kingdom, that the Father was having Him declare; The kingdom that is within those that follow Christ.
                "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Jesus did not come to denounce but to complete. Since He was the fulfiller and the bringer in of the New, He couldn't very easily degrade the very covenant (OT) that foretold and paved the way for the New and better and greater covenant to be revealed.

To interpret 17-19 to mean he came to enforce all things in the OT would be a tool in the hand of the devil to bring us into bondage to the OT mindset. The truth makes free. The law was bondage.
                For example, consider the bondage of holding grudges under the eye for eye thing, as opposed to the freedom of forgiveness and committing things into God's hands.

The strength of sin is the law.

Jesus didn't come to strengthen sin, he came to give us truth and deliverance to conquer sin.

The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Comment

When I compare this to Acts 15:22-29, the apostles conclude that there would be no more burden than this. Abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from things strangled, and from fornication. If you keep yourself from such things you'll do well.

This (along with a multitude of other verses) tells me it doesn't say we are under some strange eternal commitment to keep the law. It never has brought or will bring justification to anybody. I like a lot of that last post actually.

I'll say this. On the one hand, the law is eternal because it is written on our hearts. Quite frankly, that pretty much is where the law's fullfillment lies anyway, in this age. I do not believe THE Law is for unrighteous men, in the sense that neither the church nor any society I am aware of enforces it anyway. It is a tutor to Christ rather than a substitute. It's not like we have a magic free pass to act unrighteous, and an unbeliever doing the same thing doesn't because he is under the law and we are not.

Truth is both his and our unrighteousness is hurting themselves and others. Sin equals death. The same price was paid, and the same solution was given. Even James said to him who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, TO HIM it is sin. Clearly an indication sin is a heart issue rather than a law issue and one man's sin is not neccessarily another's. I suppose I ultimately believe that even the unrighteous man is not judged because of his acts of unrighteousness, but because of His rejection of Jesus.

One verse says we will all be judged according to our deeds and another our words. Another says we have been made righteous in Christ. What a wonderfully confusing thing this law and grace stuff is.

Good post there alaska. Quite thought provoking.

Comment

Thank you all for your posts so far. They have given me food for thought.

To expand a bit more (or maybe narrow it down a bit) has a letter or a stroke "passed away" from the Law or is it still the exactly the same today as it was when it was handed down?

Again - thanks in advance.
                    V
                    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                    - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Teke View Post
                      Semantics.

Fulfill=complete=accomplish=finish...."it is finished"
                      Here is some scriptural support for this (Jesus among his disciples after His resurrection):

Luke24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

And ye are witnesses of these things.

God Bless!
                      Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Thank you all for your posts so far. They have given me food for thought.

To expand a bit more (or maybe narrow it down a bit) has a letter or a stroke "passed away" from the Law or is it still the exactly the same today as it was when it was handed down?

Again - thanks in advance.
                        V
                        I would say it is exactly the same.

The law was given so that the trespass might increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                          I would say it is exactly the same.

The law was given so that the trespass might increase.
                          I think Paul gives a better (more accurate) definition of why it was given in the verses below..

Romans 5:20
                          Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Romans 7:13
                          Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

So I would say the better..(or most accurate) definitions of the law being given is in the verses above. God created the law so that sin could be more clearly be defined, and be shown as exceedingly sinful...and so that his grace would abound that much more over sin.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
                            I think Paul gives a better (more accurate) definition of why it was given in the verses below..

Romans 5:20
                            Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Romans 7:13
                            Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

So I would say the better..(or most accurate) definitions of the law being given is in the verses above. God created the law so that sin could be more clearly be defined, and be shown as exceedingly sinful...and so that his grace would abound that much more over sin.
                            It's a parallel being drawn. The subjective interpretation of the law by man versus the bountiful grace of God. Which is greater.

Comment

Hi Vhayes,

I look at this verse in terms of fulfilling the law and creating a new covenant and priesthood.

In Hebrews it says that the law and sacrifices is only a shadow of what is in heaven.

When Jesus died and rose again he fulfilled the law by creating a new covenant and priesthood, so that we are no longer judged by the law, but through his death and sacrifice, we are forgiven of our sins. When Jesus did this he fulfilled the law. Hebrews (Ch 8-10)

Thanks in advance -
                              V

Comment

Working...
                              X