The Two Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Two Trees

I was reading some of Paul's writings on the law when a huge thought occurred to me (would love to claim it was the Holy Spirit, but only if it is correct) and obviously, I get a little excited when that happens.

You have two trees in the midst of the Garden.

One is the tree of life.

One is the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Are they symbolic or two actual trees?

If symbolic, what do they represent?

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
    I was reading some of Paul's writings on the law when a huge thought occurred to me (would love to claim it was the Holy Spirit, but only if it is correct) and obviously, I get a little excited when that happens.

One is the tree of life.

I think they were two real trees. What they represent, I don't know.
    sigpic

Comment

One is the tree of life.

Since they were actual trees, they are what the Word of God states that they are.

1. Tree of knowledge of good and evil

2. Tree of life

Both eatable trees with fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysteryman View Post
        Since they were actual trees, they are what the Word of God states that they are.

1. Tree of knowledge of good and evil

2. Tree of life

Both eatable trees with fruit.
        I hope I'm not steering off topic here, but do you believe the trees had power in them?
        sigpic

Comment

One is the tree of life.

Hi Yukerboy!

IMHO, I think both.

Symbolically:
          Tree of Life = Dependence on God
          Tree of knowledge of good and evil = Independence (or self dependence)

Comment

One is the tree of life.

Both from me as well.

Life/Spirit
            Death/Flesh
            "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
              I hope I'm not steering off topic here, but do you believe the trees had power in them?
              I will not add nor take away from the Word of God. They were trees with fruit, that was eatable. The two trees were what the Word of God tells us they were. Tree of knowledge - of - good and - evil

The other tree with eatable fruit was the tree - of - life.

I will not respond more than or less than what the Word states.

Comment

Arnold Toynbee suggested that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was law. How would one know what was good or evil if it weren't for some type of law or command? As soon as they ate of the fruit, they then possessed the experience of playing the obedient and the disobedient party. Before this, they never knew what it was like to transgress. Therefore, at that moment, "the eyes of both of them were open," but they lost access to the tree of life.

Paul wrestles with this idea in his letter to the Romans...

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
                For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful."
                Romans 7:7-13
                "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
                And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
                Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Not sure "power in them" is correct phrase, maybe though. One gave life the other caused death ...pretty significant fruit I would guess.
                  "Let no man deceive you"

Comment

I don't think there was anything "magical" about the trees / fruits themselves.... but in the actions / choices Adam & Eve made in Eating them.

They knew that God commanded them NOT to eat of the particular tree. But, by doing so, they knew full well that they were disobeying God's command. THAT is when they "learned" Good & Evil.
                    It wasn't anything aboout the fruit, but rather, the willfule decision to disobey God & eat it anyway.

Just as a child understands when they disobey their parents. They feel shame, & regret.... they know they did something they weren't supposed to. That feeling of guilt & disobedience is pretty strong.

Make sense??
                    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

[QUOTE]

One is the tree of life.
                      "For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form or comeliness: and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him." (Isaiah 53:2)

The two trees in the garden, one very desirable, the other without beauty to be desired. Both these trees were in the midst of the garden. The one ignored, the other desired.

"Behold, the Assyrian was a cedar in Lebanon with fair branches, and with a shadowing shroud, and of an high stature: and his top was among the thick boughs." (Ezekiel 31:3)

This cedar tree was symbolic of both a human king, and a spiritual king. We know the human king was not in the garden, but the spiritual king was.

"I have made him fair by the multitude of his branches: so that all the trees of Eden, that were in the garden of God, envied him." (Ezekiel 31:9)

It seems obvious they are symbolic. Are they actual? I do not know.

We know the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.

And the fruit of the flesh is adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, and revellings.

Comment

Arnold Toynbee suggested that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was law. How would one know what was good or evil if it weren't for some type of law or command? As soon as they ate of the fruit, they then possessed the experience of playing the obedient and the disobedient party. Before this, they never knew what it was like to transgress. Therefore, at that moment, "the eyes of both of them were open," but they lost access to the tree of life.

Paul wrestles with this idea in his letter to the Romans...

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
                        For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful."
                        Romans 7:7-13
                        That was exactly where I was going with this. I thought that it was like some original revelation I had or something, but I see there truly is nothing new under the sun.

The Tree of Life however....that would be Christ. If salvation could be had through works, then grace is no longer grace.

So, the law could be the tree of knowledge. But let me go one step further, using the passage above.

Apart from the law (Word of God; commandment), sin is dead. Once I (Adam and Eve) was alive apart from law; but when the commandment (Do not eat of that tree) came, sin sprang to life (sin abiding in the flesh) and I died (you shall surely die).

So, while I was originally thinking that the tree of knowledge could be the law, it was the commandment by God that was the law. Adam and Eve, once God gave them the commandment, had sin spring to life because of the commandment and kill them.

Yuke

Comment

The Tree of Life however....that would be Christ.

Do you mean as in literally?

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Clearly this is Christ speaking here. Clearly Christ and the tree of life are not the same entity. IMO Christ is the way back to the tree of life, but Christ is not literally the tree of life. This would be like if Jesus was talking about the Father, and some thinking that He was also the Father. In the same regards, Jesus is speaking about the tree of life, yet we shouldn't assume that Jesus is also the tree of Life.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                            Do you mean as in literally?

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Clearly this is Christ speaking here. Clearly Christ and the tree of life are not the same entity. IMO Christ is the way back to the tree of life, but Christ is not literally the tree of life. This would be like if Jesus was talking about the Father, and some thinking that He was also the Father. In the same regards, Jesus is speaking about the tree of life, yet we shouldn't assume that Jesus is also the tree of Life.
                            I thought Christ was represented by the flaming Sword placed at the gate myself
                            "Let no man deceive you"

Comment

Originally posted by IamBill View Post
                              I thought Christ was represented by the flaming Sword placed at the gate myself

That's a rather interesting conclusion that I have never considered. How do you come to that conclusion?

Comment

Working...
                              X