Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knowing the severity and kindness of the Lord...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing the severity and kindness of the Lord...

This hasn't been fully developed yet, but it has been a very interesting study for me. We all know the verse where Paul talks about coming to Corinth in fear and trembling and also about the verse where Paul talks about "knowing the severity and kindness of God"... But just in case, here they are.

Romans 11:20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

and

1 Cor. 2:3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

There's a ton of passages on the fear of the Lord. But the Lord has begun sharing with me something new to me. Well, I was reading in Isaiah 61....

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
    Because the Lord has anointed me
    To bring good news to the afflicted;
    He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    To proclaim liberty to captives,
    And freedom to prisoners;
    2 To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord,
    And the day of vengeance of our God;
    To comfort all who mourn,
    3 To grant those who mourn in Zion,
    Giving them a garland instead of ashes,
    The oil of gladness instead of mourning,
    The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting.
    So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
    The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.

A couple of things, stuck out to me.

1. Notice the progession... 1st) PReach the gospel to the poor, 2nd) to bind up the broken hearted, and 3rd) to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners.

This is speaking of the Jubilee year that will happen to Israel after they have been sent into captivity. But it is also the same for us when we experience the Jubilee year as Jesus taught it in Luke 4. Salvation first, healing 2nd then deliverance from captivity. But what is interesting to me, is that for God to set Israel free, He had to bring judgment on Israel's enemies. And for the first time, I realized that the "day of vengeance of our God" was talking about setting us free from captivity to strongholds, or bondage just as, in context, it was speaking about setting Israel free from their captives and that God would take vengeance upon their captors. (See 2 Cor. 10:6 for a similar thought.)

Now, that led me to Isaiah 63 which is STRONG! (And yes, I know God is physically talking about Israel's physical enemies, the nations that held her. But He is also speaking about our enemies that spiritually hold us captive.)

Isaiah 34:5 For My sword is satiated in heaven,
    Behold it shall descend for judgment upon Edom,
    And upon the people whom I have devoted to destruction.
    6 The sword of the Lord is filled with blood,
    It is sated with fat, with the blood of lambs and goats,
    With the fat of the kidneys of rams.
    For the Lord has a sacrifice in Bozrah,
    And a great slaughter in the land of Edom.
    7 Wild oxen shall also fall with them,
    And young bulls with strong ones;
    Thus their land shall be soaked with blood,
    And their dust become greasy with fat.
    8 For the Lord has a day of vengeance,
    A year of recompense for the cause of Zion.

Notice the sword was satiated with the blood of bulls, and goats and fat. This is our sin sacrifice. This is Jesus. There were only a few scars left on Jesus. The marks of the covenant in his hands, and the scar of the sword on his side were two. The government appointed to wield the sword of the wrath of God, stuck Jesus in the side with a sword. That covered it with blood. This bloody sword as a type in heaven, is the same sword of wrath that God uses to come after our spiritual enemies. When King Jesus comes with His sword, covered in blood, it is covered in His own blood. That is salvation to us but death to the enemy.

We see then the very wrath of God that came upon Christ, is the same wrath that saves us from our sins and our spiritual enemies. It is like the Ark. The wrath of God fell on the Ark for all who were in the Ark. But for those on the outside, the wrath of God fell on them! It is like the passover in Egypt. The blood covered the door frame. All who had the blood over them and the Lamb in them were protected from the wrath of God that was juding the enemy. But for those without the blood fo the Lamb, they got judgment.

For me, it is so encouraging and empowering to see both the love of God, in that He did not come to condemn me but to save me. And the severity (wrath) of God which we are all under unless we repent and turn to Him. But His heart is to see us saved, not destroyed. And for this reason, we should have gratitude and love for Him but also fear and respect for Him.

God bless!

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: Knowing the severity and kindness of the Lord...

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    And for the first time, I realized that the "day of vengeance of our God" was talking about setting us free from captivity to strongholds, or bondage juuldst as, in context, it was speaking about setting Israel free from their captives and that God would take vengeance upon their captors.
    I completely disagree!!! Notice Jesus didn't quote this portion of the passage when claiming to be Messiah but stopped. The reason is because whether or not he was received as Messiah or not would determine whether or not the day of vengeance would come at that time. IOW, he stopped at the proclamation of the gospel (coming of Messaih) and closed the book and sat down. The day of vengeance is the day of vengeance. You cannot change the meaning with a non sequitur. It did not come because he was rejected. It will come when he is accepted. See The Revelation of Jesus Christ.

Comment

Always good to be reminded, Mark, that Jesus took upon himself our punishment. By this we're saved from God's eternal punishment. We are protected for all eternity by the love of God.

It's critical then, as you say, to "get into the ark," who is Jesus himself. By choosing to live in his spirit we are protected from accusation and judgment. We gain access to the very love that wants to protect us from that judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by randyk View Post
        Always good to be reminded, Mark, that Jesus took upon himself our punishment. By this we're saved from God's eternal punishment. We are protected for all eternity by the love of God.

It's critical then, as you say, to "get into the ark," who is Jesus himself. By choosing to live in his spirit we are protected from accusation and judgment. We gain access to the very love that wants to protect us from that judgment.
        Indeed! And we are also guaranteed freedom from that thing that holds us captive. God will judge it severely to set us free. We can be free from any stronghold that we are willing to deal with. The same wrathful judgment that fell on Jesus, can instead fall on the stronghold and all that is a part of it.

2 Cor. 10:3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 6 And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.

Once we are obedient in what Jesus tells us to do concerning the stronghold, the wrath of God will fall upon it and we will no longer be captive. This pattern can be seen throughout the scriptures.

What is really getting to me today, is how the same wrath of God that fell on Jesus, and should rightfully fall on me, instead falls on my enemies. The love of God is so great, that He gave His only Son. He did not come into the world to condemn me but to set me free. And the sword He wields is bathed in the blood of Christ on the cross. It makes me tremble at His fierce anger, but also makes me rejoice at His strong love.
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

A friend of mine, posted this on facebook and it is right on the money! Fits well with this thread. There's a LOT of hope for those in bondage and having their brains beat out by the enemy. I know. I have experienced both sides of it.

“Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. Say to those with anxious heart, ‘Take courage, fear not. Behold, your God will come with vengeance; the recompense of God will come, but He will save you’” (Isaiah 35:3-5).

I’m in year two or three of my current read-the-Bible-in-a-year plan. I used to be an overachiever. Now, I much prefer what Eugene Peterson calls “the unforced rhythms of grace” which, tonight, brought me to this passage in Isaiah.

One of the primary ways God reaps vengeance is by plundering the enemy camp. Are you anxious and fearful about something? Take courage, fear not. God does not want to punish you. God wants to redeem, rehabilitate and restore you.

In the great reversal of the gospel, God takes from the enemy those whom the enemy thought he had ruined for God, and God makes them better than they were before. That’s God-style vengeance and recompense. God destroys the enemy by saving you and me. Advantage, and glory, to God.

A friend of mine, posted this on facebook and it is right on the money! Fits well with this thread. There's a LOT of hope for those in bondage and having their brains beat out by the enemy. I know. I have experienced both sides of it.

“Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. Say to those with anxious heart, ‘Take courage, fear not. Behold, your God will come with vengeance; the recompense of God will come, but He will save you’” (Isaiah 35:3-5).

I’m in year two or three of my current read-the-Bible-in-a-year plan. I used to be an overachiever. Now, I much prefer what Eugene Peterson calls “the unforced rhythms of grace” which, tonight, brought me to this passage in Isaiah.

One of the primary ways God reaps vengeance is by plundering the enemy camp. Are you anxious and fearful about something? Take courage, fear not. God does not want to punish you. God wants to redeem, rehabilitate and restore you.

In the great reversal of the gospel, God takes from the enemy those whom the enemy thought he had ruined for God, and God makes them better than they were before. That’s God-style vengeance and recompense. God destroys the enemy by saving you and me. Advantage, and glory, to God.

OK, so it double posted. Here's the single post so it is easier to read. Sorry about that.

NASU

Comment

Beautiful and encouraging Mark. Thank you!
            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

ye denied the Holy One Act.3:14

This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, that has become the cornerstone. Act.4:11

How man's wrath against God was twisted into God's wrath against himself is almost beyond belief.

Comment

This hasn't been fully developed yet, but it has been a very interesting study for me. We all know the verse where Paul talks about coming to Corinth in fear and trembling and also about the verse where Paul talks about "knowing the severity and kindness of God"... But just in case, here they are.

Romans 11:20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

and

1 Cor. 2:3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

There's a ton of passages on the fear of the Lord. But the Lord has begun sharing with me something new to me. Well, I was reading in Isaiah 61....

1. Notice the progession... 1st) PReach the gospel to the poor, 2nd) to bind up the broken hearted, and 3rd) to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners.

This is speaking of the Jubilee year that will happen to Israel after they have been sent into captivity. But it is also the same for us when we experience the Jubilee year as Jesus taught it in Luke 4. Salvation first, healing 2nd then deliverance from captivity. But what is interesting to me, is that for God to set Israel free, He had to bring judgment on Israel's enemies. And for the first time, I realized that the "day of vengeance of our God" was talking about setting us free from captivity to strongholds, or bondage just as, in context, it was speaking about setting Israel free from their captives and that God would take vengeance upon their captors. (See 2 Cor. 10:6 for a similar thought.)

Now, that led me to Isaiah 63 which is STRONG! (And yes, I know God is physically talking about Israel's physical enemies, the nations that held her. But He is also speaking about our enemies that spiritually hold us captive.)

Notice the sword was satiated with the blood of bulls, and goats and fat. This is our sin sacrifice. This is Jesus. There were only a few scars left on Jesus. The marks of the covenant in his hands, and the scar of the sword on his side were two. The government appointed to wield the sword of the wrath of God, stuck Jesus in the side with a sword. That covered it with blood. This bloody sword as a type in heaven, is the same sword of wrath that God uses to come after our spiritual enemies. When King Jesus comes with His sword, covered in blood, it is covered in His own blood. That is salvation to us but death to the enemy.

We see then the very wrath of God that came upon Christ, is the same wrath that saves us from our sins and our spiritual enemies. It is like the Ark. The wrath of God fell on the Ark for all who were in the Ark. But for those on the outside, the wrath of God fell on them! It is like the passover in Egypt. The blood covered the door frame. All who had the blood over them and the Lamb in them were protected from the wrath of God that was juding the enemy. But for those without the blood fo the Lamb, they got judgment.

For me, it is so encouraging and empowering to see both the love of God, in that He did not come to condemn me but to save me. And the severity (wrath) of God which we are all under unless we repent and turn to Him. But His heart is to see us saved, not destroyed. And for this reason, we should have gratitude and love for Him but also fear and respect for Him.

God bless!

Mark

great post brother

yes often in these times we hear grace, Faith, no works, God loves you, there's no possible way to lose your salvation ....

this affects the mind to believe there's nothing to fear in God, it causes us to lack reverence and godly fear, truthfully we have a lot of assurance that we will be saved, and we also have plenty of instruction to,learn and keep. God is long suffering toward us, patient, has given us grace in order to express the patience while we come into the obedience through faith, but always there is fear that turns us solidly against sin, causing repentance through faith. For our faith to be proper, we need all the grace and assurance , and the truth about sin and righteousness they work together to produce Gods children in heart and deed.

Note in the early church in acts, " great fear came upon all the believers...and the church grew in leaps and bounds and they continued steadfast in the apostles doctrine" fear is something we lose at perfection and in my humble opinion, perfection will come when Christ returns.

and

God bless!

Mark

great post brother

yes often in these times we hear grace, Faith, no works, God loves you, there's no possible way to lose your salvation ....

this affects the mind to believe there's nothing to fear in God, it causes us to lack reverence and godly fear, truthfully we have a lot of assurance that we will be saved, and we also have plenty of instruction to,learn and keep. God is long suffering toward us, patient, has given us grace in order to express the patience while we come into the obedience through faith, but always there is fear that turns us solidly against sin, causing repentance through faith. For our faith to be proper, we need all the grace and assurance , and the truth about sin and righteousness they work together to produce Gods children in heart and deed.

Note in the early church in acts, " great fear came upon all the believers...and the church grew in leaps and bounds and they continued steadfast in the apostles doctrine" fear is something we lose at perfection and in my humble opinion, perfection will come when Christ returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Follower1977 View Post
                  great post brother

great post brother

OH yes, the fear of the Lord will keep a man from evil. It is not preached as much as it use to be. But it will come back at some point. God's heart about such things does not change.
                  NASU

Comment

OH yes, the fear of the Lord will keep a man from evil. It is not preached as much as it use to be. But it will come back at some point. God's heart about such things does not change.

yes brother, it will come back, when people share things like this post you wrote," how shall they hear unless it is preached?" If one hears only God is grace, he will never punish you for sin, you are already saved , never think he will require of you , never think you will give an account of your deeds both good and bad.....never think you will be judged along with everyone else....those kinds of things , eliminate the ability for us to fear .

things like this bring us into reality that moves us by fear like Noah.

“But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God.”
                    **Romans‬ *2:5-11‬ *KJV‬‬

these kinds of things no one really speaks of these days and when a person does, along comes someone explaining , no..no...were already saved we aren't going to be judged....we need the fear in order to move us like Noah. Who was saved by grace and through faith. But note what moves him

“But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make thee an ark of gopher wood; ............gives him detailed instructions.

Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.”
                    **Genesis‬ *6:8, 13-14, 22‬ *KJV‬‬

we know fear moved him to act in faith and also became the heir of the " righteousness of faith " because of this

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house;

by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”
                    **Hebrews‬ *11:7‬ *KJV‬‬

it's a matter of complete doctrine being heard, and believers will hear and respond by faith.

yes brother, it will come back, when people share things like this post you wrote," how shall they hear unless it is preached?" If one hears only God is grace, he will never punish you for sin, you are already saved , never think he will require of you , never think you will give an account of your deeds both good and bad.....never think you will be judged along with everyone else....those kinds of things , eliminate the ability for us to fear .

things like this bring us into reality that moves us by fear like Noah.

“But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God.”
                    **Romans‬ *2:5-11‬ *KJV‬‬

these kinds of things no one really speaks of these days and when a person does, along comes someone explaining , no..no...were already saved we aren't going to be judged....we need the fear in order to move us like Noah. Who was saved by grace and through faith. But note what moves him

“But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make thee an ark of gopher wood; ............gives him detailed instructions.

Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.”
                    **Genesis‬ *6:8, 13-14, 22‬ *KJV‬‬

we know fear moved him to act in faith and also became the heir of the " righteousness of faith " because of this

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house;

by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”
                    **Hebrews‬ *11:7‬ *KJV‬‬

it's a matter of complete doctrine being heard, and believers will hear and respond by faith.

Comment

The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me. Rom.15:3

How mans condemnation of God in flesh is misinterpreted as God condemning himself in flesh is almost beyond belief, but there it is. God help us.

Comment

Working...
                      X