Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Was the Law inept?

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
    No longer the answer...it used to be though. There was a time God was pleased by the sacrifices and sin was forgiven. It's recorded in the OT but so is the falling away of the people from God and David was aware of this.
    None of which addresses Isaiah 53. Also, that quote I gave that you quoted, was from King David in the OT. And the Hebrew writer didn't say "no longer". He said "never". Big difference.

David is worth quoting again:

Psalm 51:16 For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
    You are not pleased with burnt offering.

17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

And the Hebrew writer is worth quoting so the readers can see "can never" is compared to "all time" with Christ drawing a clear distinction.

Heb 10:11 Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins;

The writer makes clear, that if the sacrifices in the OT could take away sin, then the priests would not have to offer them over and over and over again. But they never could.

Heb 10:12 but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD,

However, Jesus could and did!

Isaiah 53 makes all this clear and it is OT too. Ps 51 clears it up as well.

Isaiah 53:4 Surely our griefs He Himself bore,
    And our sorrows He carried;
    Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken,
    Smitten of God, and afflicted.

He bore our griefs. Past tense. Isaiah 53 is not about OT sacrifices. It is about Jesus as Peter makes clear. Even in the OT, sins were dealt with by the blood of Jesus. Leviticus points to Jesus. Isaiah 53 explains the sacrifice that is our sin offering is Jesus. David understands and writes that the OT sacrifices were not what God wanted anyway. So we see from both the OT and the NT it always was Jesus and never the sacrifices that made forgiveness possible.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
      You can edit in "mobile" mode. Slug figured that out for us. There's a thread somewhere named "Edit". To edit, just go to the bottom left hand side of this page where it says "B4 Default Style" and change it to "Default Mobile Style". Then you can edit your post. It won't work with Chrome but it does with edge, explorer, firefox, etc.
      whoa, I just saw this. Thanks Mark (and Slug)! I'll try it!

Comment

Yeshua (Jesus) said: "If You love God, keep the commandments."
        Paul made it look like, that faith alone is sufficient.
        James 2:19* Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Conclusion: "If You love God, keep the commandments."
        And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
          None of which addresses Isaiah 53. Also, that quote I gave that you quoted, was from King David in the OT. And the Hebrew writer didn't say "no longer". He said "never". Big difference.
          He did not say sin was "never" forgiven. He said the people were never made perfect, because they still were conscience of sin because the sin sacrifices reminded them of their sins.

So, while sin was forgiven (not held against them by God) as God states in the OT, it remained in the people's conscience and memory. The sacrifices could not take that aspect of sin from people. Today Christians can have clear consciences so are freed from the remembrance of past sins that were repented of and forgiven because the blood of Christ is more capable in this regard over the blood of animals.
          James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Working...
          X