No announcement yet.

Who were The Sons of God in genesis 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who were The Sons of God in genesis 6?

Originally posted by Follower1977 View Post
    how is that a reference to Angels being sons of God? Satan appears with men before God to accuse them.

“And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan; even the Lord that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?”
    **Zechariah‬ *3:1-2‬ *KJV‬‬

and the morning star again not. Reference to Angels....

“And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star.”
    **Revelation‬ *2:26-28‬ *KJV‬‬

I'm not thinking that's a promise to give us the Angel. Wouldn't really make sense.

besides that , Angels are spirits and couldn't breed with humans.

“But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?”
    **Hebrews‬ *1:13-14‬ *KJV‬‬

further there in Hebrews sort of makes it further clear

For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?”
    **Hebrews‬ *1:5‬ *KJV‬‬

in other words Angels have no reference in scripture that they are children of God. But there are many referring to men as sons of God.

Rev 22:16 16“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.”

Jesus is the morning star and Lucifer is another

Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, O Morning Star, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the ground, O destroyer of nations.

so when job 38:6 says "On what were its foundations laid, or who set its core in place— 7while the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

SO Job 38:6 is in reference when Lucifer lead the choir notice how it says "the morning starS SANG together"

also the verse in Zechariah is a prophetic vision so you cant relate that to job which is not a prophetic vision the angel of the lord and satan were not physically there.

and Hebrews 1:5 unlike jesus angels are not Gods only begotten they are his sons but only in title they are not his literal son.

God says jesus is his only begotten son true but this does not mean the angels are not his sons in a figurative sense. after all God does not have a biological son at all.

Comment

Originally posted by equinox View Post
      Rev 22:16 16“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.”

Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, O Morning Star, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the ground, O destroyer of nations.

so when job 38:6 says "On what were its foundations laid, or who set its core in place— 7while the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

SO Job 38:6 is in reference when Lucifer lead the choir notice how it says "the morning starS SANG together"

also the verse in Zechariah is a prophetic vision so you cant relate that to job which is not a prophetic vision the angel of the lord and satan were not physically there.

and Hebrews 1:5 unlike jesus angels are not Gods only begotten they are his sons but only in title they are not his literal son.

God says jesus is his only begotten son true but this does not mean the angels are not his sons in a figurative sense. after all God does not have a biological son at all.

Thanks for the reply. I had not got around to it....but was going to say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by grogers View Post
        If you are going to insist that these are angels then you are going to have to find some place in scripture where it explicitly defines angels as sons of God or sons of God as angels. You will find no such example. The term sons of God is however repeated applied to men.
        Job 1 6 says sons of the Most High were presenting themselves to the Most High. this event took place in the heavens, men are not of the heavens. there is no if ands or buts on this, no way to say "maybe they are men" they are not men.

Jesus says sons of the Most High do not die, men of this world die.

the Lords children and "sons of the Most High" are not the same thing

As far as Jude 1:6-7, perhaps you should diagram those two verses wo you can understand what the text is saying. Look at the construction of the text. "Which likewise indulged in sexual immorality" is not linking the angels who left their first estate to Sodom and Gomorrah, it is linking the behavior of the "surrounding cities" to the like behavior of Sodom and Gomorrah. The sin of the angels is specified simply as having left their "own position of authority" not sexual immorality.
        Jude says the men of sodom pursued sexual immorality (this would be gay sex/sodomy) AND unnatural desire. so what is this unnatural desire? look up the 2 greek words for unnatural desire and the meaning is "strange flesh".
        you dont think it strange that every man in this town went crazy wanting to tear the house down just to get to these men who just happen to be angels, did they do this every time a new person came to town, not likely. and lets not forget that the sodomites were descended from the canaanites, another coincidence?

Comment

Sure Jesus is the bright morning star, there's nothing in scripture , ever to say Angels are Gods sons still.

morning stars are never identified as Angels is the point . The sons of God are men such as Adam was... The Angels have never been called his sons thats all I'm saying, that is to my own knowledge of scripture.

do you know of any angel ever being called a son of God? Or " Angels being identified as morning star? Without having to connect the dots o mean? If you find Angels being identified as the sons of God, or identified as the morning star, then I would have to agree with you, but my point is scripture doesn't say that ....to my knowledge.

indeed Jesus is the only begotten. No disagreement there.

Adam was created, called his son, Israel is identified as his firstborn son also, though we understand Jesus is the only begotten son. Angels never are called his sons however. The morning stars singing together doesn't make the connection is the thing though, Jesus is the bright morning star, lucifer it is said oh son of the morning....it doesn't hold the understanding that Angels are the sons of God though, at least I personally don't see it .

I would refer you here to answer the question

“Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee?

And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?”
          **Hebrews‬ *1:4-7, 13-14‬ *KJV‬‬

where as of the question is " unto whom has he said " you are my son today I have begotten thee" we have scripture like this

“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”
          **John‬ *1:12-13‬ *KJV‬‬

or this

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.....But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”
          **1 Peter‬ *1:23, 25‬ *KJV‬‬

or note is and those from John 1 above

Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.”
          **James‬ *1:18‬ *KJV‬‬

do you see the difference? If there are any scriptures that actually say these things about Angels then I would agree but I don't know of any. Now of course we have 1 scripture from Paul saying this

“For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”
          **Romans‬ *8:15‬ *KJV‬‬

this doesn't contradict being born of God, as we are, it only distinguishes Christ is unique above all man, because he was born of a woman, having no earthly father, but by the power of Gods word who said " you will concierge and bare a son ...and though shalt call his name Jesus"

And through him, are men born again, born of God ....through the same power of his word that tells us that we are his sons through Christ. Angels and men are different creatures. The ultimate proof of man being the sons of God is the fact that after he created everything else he then created mankind in his own image and likeness, then he blessed them and gave them dominion.

but again if there are any scriptures saying these things concerning Angels.... I would have to agree.

man is the creatire made in Gods image, just like when we have children they are in our image. There's nothing like us in all Gods creation, it's why the bible is centered firmly upon The relationship between God and mankind. Angels are as you see there in Hebrews " mi is tearing spirits sent to minister to those who inherit salvation.

inheritance comes from Father to children....

Comment

man is the creatire made in Gods image, .

Can you tell me what is God's image? God is a spirit....

Comment

this doesn't say to you that Angels are not Gods sons?

“For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?”
              **Hebrews‬ *1:5‬ *KJV‬‬

That is two different quotes not a single one.

one is here regarding Solomon the son of David, a prophetic figure for Christ, regarding the promise to David

“And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.”
              **1 Chronicles‬ *28:6‬ *KJV‬‬

the other is here , in a psalm of David regarding Christ

“I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.”
              **Psalms‬ *2:7‬ *KJV‬‬

Anyone born of God , as you state quite accurately , aren't born physically, but even Jesus was born of Gods word. It's not as if the holy spirits had sex with Mary , but Gods word was spoken to her by Gabriel , and Christ was conceived as God creates all things he speaks ....and it is so.

we are born through the gospel, the word of God, "born again", if you reduce all of this, all of creation is " born of God" he said let there be light...light became. as James would say " the father of heavenly lights" but the subject is specific to,his sons.

Everyone I suppose thinks what they think and understands what they do, my only point was that there are no scriptures calling Angels sons of God, and there are many calling men his sons. Besides all this.....how does an Angel a ministering spirit , breed with a human being ?

if one understands that's not possible, then the sons of God mentioned in Genesis are not Angels. If one looks at it broad enough God is the father of all created things, but the sons of God, are men , it was so by his choosing in the beginning

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
              **Romans‬ *8:28-29‬ *KJV‬‬

Comment

Originally posted by ross3421 View Post
                Can you tell me what is God's image? God is a spirit....

sure , Gods image is holiness manifest in the heart of man. Simpler Jesus is the image of God here what scripture says

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.”
                **Genesis‬ *1:27-28, 31‬ *KJV‬‬

The image of God, is the holy spirit in man ��

“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
                **Genesis‬ *2:7‬ *KJV‬‬

remember the flesh counts for nothing, the spirit gives life.

what makes men Gods children is the Holy Spirit of his son.

Comment

“Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:”
                  **Colossians‬ *1:13-15‬ *KJV‬‬

Comment

.....how does an Angel a ministering spirit , breed with a human being ?
                    How is God himself born of flesh and become man?

We know angels in Sodom could have had sex....there is much of the spirit world we do not know.

Was not the angel of the Lord God himself?

If God can be made a little lower than the angels can't God manifest himself in an angel? Note angel is a spirit being in which God was a spirit. Understanding there are created and non created angels.

Furthermore, perhaps it is merely the angel, spirit, indwelling a vessel then having an offspring.

Comment

sure , Gods image is holiness manifest in the heart of man. Simpler Jesus is the image of God here what scripture says
                      15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

The above is not describing fleshly Jesus. He was firstborn but not as Jesus (flesh) but the word (spirit). Fleshly Jesus was the image of his parents while still being the son of God.

No. God's image is spirit. Invisible. Thus for us to be made in his image would be as in spirit not flesh.

Also God finished his creating after the first week he did not create afterwards. So for all his creation to be completed in the first week then then the creation on the 6th day was spirit form all whom where to live upon the earth. Hence why he knew us from the foundation of the world. We all were first created spirit then as a destined time formed into flesh by our parents. Being made in the image of God is a spirit.

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
                      This was the 6th day and the 7th day God was finished creating. So were all flesh created this day? No all spirits whom would receive flesh. A baby is a formation of those things created in the first week. Not a new creation each time.

“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
                      **Genesis‬ *2:7‬ *KJV‬‬
                      So man was created on the 6th day. Above is not the 6th day but after the week. So here we see man now FORMED into flesh from the earth which was created the first week.

Further evidence we were first create spirits in that in that day God called both male and female adam. Was not the first woman eve?

Gen 5
                      1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
                      2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Also we see Seth not created in God's image but Adams.

3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

Comment

“Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:”
                        **Colossians‬ *1:13-15‬ *KJV‬‬

I think if one were to look at the first two men born you see how there's daughters of men, and also sons of God.

Abel was a righteous man , Cain was an evil man.

“Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.”
                        **1 John‬ *3:12‬ *KJV‬‬

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.”
                        **1 John‬ *3:10‬ *KJV‬‬

so even as we see there Cain was a child of the devil, sinful man, Abel was a child of God, a righteous man. The reason the term son of God disappears and is rarely seen in scripture until Chrost came, is because all became sinners. During this time God had said this

“How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.”
                        **Psalms‬ *82:2-7‬ *KJV‬‬

men die because of sin, men live because of righteousness. Sons of God are the righteous men, sons of Satan are the evil men it was so then , and is so forever.

“Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
                        **Luke‬ *3:38‬ *KJV‬‬

was true of man then and is true of man now

“Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.”
                        **1 John‬ *3:1‬ *KJV‬‬

remember regarding Gods image the scripture says clearly God was manifest in the flesh

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
                        **1 Timothy‬ *3:16‬ *KJV‬‬

while God truly is a spirit, he manifest himself in man through Jesus Christ, and he manifests his image also throug us who believe the gospel, redeeming us to his image as man was in the beginning.

“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”
                        **2 Corinthians‬ *4:4‬ *KJV‬‬

“But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
                        **2 Corinthians‬ *3:18‬ *KJV‬‬

Gods word, is his image.

Comment

No. God's image is spirit. Invisible. Thus for us to be made in his image would be as in spirit not flesh.

Also God finished his creating after the first week he did not create afterwards. So for all his creation to be completed in the first week then then the creation on the 6th day was spirit form all whom where to live upon the earth. Hence why he knew us from the foundation of the world. We all were first created spirit then as a destined time formed into flesh by our parents. Being made in the image of God is a spirit.

This was the 6th day and the 7th day God was finished creating. So were all flesh created this day? No all spirits whom would receive flesh. A baby is a formation of those things created in the first week. Not a new creation each time.

So man was created on the 6th day. Above is not the 6th day but after the week. So here we see man now FORMED into flesh from the earth which was created the first week.

Further evidence we were first create spirits in that in that day God called both male and female adam. Was not the first woman eve?

Gen 5
                          1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
                          2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

brother , Angels are not sons of God, it's simple.

the image of God is man " God created man in his own image , in his likeness he created them both male and female"

the image of God changed , because Adam consumed the knowledge of Good and evil and begat sinners. There's never any scripture to say " God created the Angels in his image and likeness" righteous man like Adam was before the knowledge of evil, that's the image of God. It's why Jesus is called " the second Adam" both men by the way ...

Jesus Christ is the image of God, the difference between he and Adam is when Adam was tempted he sinned, Jesus was tempted and did no sin. The image of God, is roghteousness , holiness godliness....those things taught us in the gospel.

Comment

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

The above is not describing fleshly Jesus. He was firstborn but not as Jesus (flesh) but the word (spirit). Fleshly Jesus was the image of his parents while still being the son of God.

Gen 5

Spirit has no image friend, God is invisible....his image is manifest in righteous mankind, so is the image of Satan manifest in evil men.

I'm sort of simple minded , scripture says of man several times they are sons of God, and it says never of the Angels ye are my sons....it also dostinguishes clearly between the righteous men being his sons, and wicked men not being his sons.

but I feel as if I've left plenty of scripture to support my understanding, whether it's right or not, is up to the lord. God bless you

Comment

Actually cain is never said to be adams son in the bible. the bible said cain is the son of his father the devil so the daughters of men can not be descended from adam

Comment

How do you interpret Genesis 4:1?
                                "Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain. . ."

If this doesn't mean Cain was Adam's son, what then?
                                Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

Comment

Working...
                                X