Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hebrews 6:4-6

Hebrews 6:4-6
    For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God, and put him to open shame. (
    Hebrews 6:46)

I'm scared and fearful and worried that I am guilty of this. I repented and believed and so forth but fell away back into sin again but then again repented this morning and no longer decided to put it off until tomorrow but now, but scared that I have crucified Jesus again but then again and again and again. fear that I'm destroyed. please help! When I came to repent and become hateful toward sin I wept bitterly in tears being face to face with Jesus and self and my sins and pleaded for forgiveness and repentance. While I wept a verse came to mind; Jesus said, Take heart son, your sins are forgiven. I kept on weeping. But I don't want to be self-deceived and like I said please help...I'm pleading with Jesus again and again.

Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

I found this on facebook, would Jesus forgive me for sinning again and again?
    QUESTION: Hebrews 6:4-6 scares me. I thought I was saved in 1988. I went back to my old ways until I hit rock bottom in 2002. I feel saved now but after reading this I fear for my salvation. Please help me. I really need to know what this verse means.

ANSWER: Hebrews 6:4-6 is a difficult and troubling portion to many sincere searchers for truth. Many have been like you and have been scared by these verses. I think we all know that the Lord does not want us to be afraid. In fact, we read in 1 John 4:18, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear…” When we fix our eyes on the Lord’s perfect love, and learn His precious truths, our fear is driven away.

Let’s read Hebrews 6:4-6, “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”

This portion warns us against apostasy. It describes a people who cannot be renewed again unto repentance. Just what sort of people are capable of falling away where there is no hope of recovery? Let’s look carefully of the words in this portion. Let’s see what it says, and what it does not say. This portion addresses those who were ‘enlightened’, have ‘tasted of the heavenly gift’, and were ‘made partakers of the Holy Ghost.’ Not once do we read the words, ‘forgiven’, ‘made righteous’, ‘redeemed’, or ‘saved’. This warning is for those who have been enlightened by the Word of God; they have tasted of Christ, but had not received Him; they were made partakers of the Holy Ghost by His work in their hearts to bring them to Christ. After all this, they rejected the Lord. Once they had rejected Christ, they found there was no other way of salvation. These people had absolutely been exposed to the blessings of the believer on the Lord Jesus, and had rejected Him. I’m reminded of the words of some rejecters in the parable in Luke 19. In verse 14, we have their words, “We will not have this man to reign over us.” When there is an absolute rejection of and hatred for the Lord Jesus, there remains no room for repentance that leads to Godly sorrow and faith in the Lord Jesus. This is apostasy.

Could this happen to a true believer on the Lord Jesus? Is it possible that a true Christian could experience this absolute rejection of the Lord? Let’s consider the words of Hebrews 6:9-10, “But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak. For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.” The word ‘persuaded’, actually means to be convinced. The writer of this epistle is assuring the true believer that this could not happen to them. The Lord would never forget ‘your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward His name…” The stern warnings found in Hebrews 6:4-6 are aimed at the unbeliever; one who had come so very close to salvation, but in the end, rejected the Lord and turned from Him. To those who are truly saved, we have a precious promise of the Lord in Hebrews 13:5, “…I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”

Comment

https://www.desiringgod.org/messages...nce-impossible

You can go to number 4.

Consider Hebrews 10:14.

By one offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified [present tense, ongoing action].
      If Hebrews 6:6 meant that you could be justified by the blood of Christ and then lose that standing with God, this verse would seem to have no meaning. It says that, for those who are now being sanctified (that is, who are now indwelt by the Spirit and born of God and are growing in holiness by faith), the offering of Christ on the cross has perfected that person for all time. For all time! In other words, to become a beneficiary of the perfecting, justifying work of Christ on the cross is to be perfected in the sight of God forever. This reality suggests that Hebrews 6:6 does not mean that those who re-crucify Christ were once really justified by the blood of Jesus and were really being sanctified in an inward spiritual sense.

Comment

I repented of drinking in my past then later fell into drinking and smoking again and lust then repented of these things but again fell into drinking and smoking and lust then I repented more seriously than ever today than in my entire life and not put off until tomorrow but repentance unto life. Is there any hope for me? please help What I provided true that I am forever saved even before the foundation of the world that he chose us including me in him that we should be holy and blameless before him, in love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ for the purpose and pleasure of his will.

Comment

why do we receive counseling when we confess saying that we struggle with sin, repent, sin, repent, is a common struggle? but these 2 verses terrify me to not want to ever sin again, what when Jesus says to forgive your brother not 7 times but 7 times 77? which is keep forgiving...

Comment

what's the difference between falling away and struggling with sin and keeping in repentance? I've sinned and repented, sinned and repented but fear that if I've been forgiven but fell fell back into drinking alcohol, smoking, lust, then repent again, but that means I'm no longer forgiven?

Comment

http://www.apologeticspress.org/APCo...x?article=5152

Notice what the text does not say. It does not say it is impossible to forgive a person who has fallen away. This is in contrast to the unpardonable sin. The gospel writers describe that sin as an “eternal” sin, for which there was never any forgiveness. The text in Hebrews says that if people fall away it is impossible to “renew them again to repentance.” The difference between forgiveness and repentance is profound. The message in Hebrews 6 is not that those who fall away have committed sins that God will not forgive, it is that their hearts have become so hard that they will not repent. Thus, if a person is willing to repent, he or she cannot be one of those who have fallen away according to Hebrews 6:4-6. A similar idea is found in 1 Timothy 4:2, where we read about those who have “their own conscience seared with a hot iron.” Again, it is not that God will not forgive these people, it is that they will not repent and come back to God.

An excellent example of the difference between forgiveness and repentance is seen in the lives of Judas and Peter. In a very real sense, both of these apostles betrayed their Lord. Judas sold Him to the Jewish leaders, and Peter denied three times even knowing Him. Their actions after their sins, however, show that Peter was willing to repent and come back to his Savior, but Judas’ heart was so calloused he would not repent. Peter was forgiven and Judas was lost, not because Judas’ sin was so much more grievous than Peter’s, but because Judas had allowed his heart and conscience to be so seared that he would not repent.

In summary, any person who reads Hebrews 6:4-6 and wonders if he or she is a person who is without hope and has fallen away from God can easily answer that question. If that person is willing to repent of sins and obey God, that passage cannot apply to him or her.

Comment

I suggest some study time on what our sanctification process means in the context of our salvation.
                Or, speak with a Pastor or a church Elder about what our sanctification means.

The main thing to keep in your mind is to not fear or doubt our God's ability to transform us into the likeness of His Son Jesus.
                If we are faithfully earnest in trying to overcome our sin or sins, then our God will be earnestly faithful to forgive us when we fail.
                Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
                Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

Comment

It's not literally "impossible," but it may be very difficult. I think these verses should serve as a strong warning. Consider 1 Corinthians 5:4-5:
                  "When you are gathered in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, along with the power of the Lord Jesus, hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the Day of the Lord."

In Corinth there were those who were apparently "believers" who had not grown or matured and were sliding back into sin. Paul advises that such people be left to their own devices in the hope that they might one day come to their senses. In Hebrews, the writer is encouraging the believers to move on and grow in the Lord, not to remain stagnant or backslidden.

See also Romans 1:27:
                  "And in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

Comment

I believe this passage is speaking of the resurrection,

to renew them (Heb.6::6)

"Renew" meaning raise anyone from death

again unto repentance (Heb.6:6)

to what wasn't sown beforehand (also vss.7-8)

Comment

wow! Thank you so much for your replies and help! I talked with a very good godly christian sister of mine who is also a counselor who counseled with God's love and forgiveness and repentance! I've prayed like I've never prayed before ever and repented like never before ever of all sin and struggled and wrestled feeling great distress and anguish feeling demoralized and crying out to Jesus for forgiveness and repentance and mercy, I struggled all day yesterday and when she said what she said and with love I broke out crying and weeping and praising God and Jesus and blessings for my, our christian sister's counseling and love and help, I cried for hours through the evening and night, I'm so happy though I struggle with feeling so guilty, I've struggled with not repenting like I should but starting yesterday I prayed so hard saying, I repent now! Not tomorrow not later but now!!! Praise the Lord! Now I love the word repentance! and embrace it with all my heart, mind and soul. Praise the Lord! How great is his love! Oh what are the breadth, length, height and depth of that great love of Christ! To experience this great love I cannot comprehend! Thank you brothers and sisters for your replies and help and love and comfort! God bless you all in Christ! I love you all!

Comment

thank you for your love, the love of Christ in you to me. I'm weeping again. THank you Lord!

Comment

I want to share with you all what a very special christian friend just shared with me: Return, O Wanderer, now return, And seek thy Father’s face; Those new desires which in thee burn Were kindled by His grace. by William Benco Collyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr King View Post
                            I want to share with you all what a very special christian friend just shared with me: Return, O Wanderer, now return, And seek thy Father’s face; Those new desires which in thee burn Were kindled by His grace. by William Benco Collyer.
                            Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
                            Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

Comment

Originally posted by Mr King View Post
                              I found this on facebook, would Jesus forgive me for sinning again and again?
                              QUESTION: Hebrews 6:4-6 scares me. I thought I was saved in 1988. I went back to my old ways until I hit rock bottom in 2002. I feel saved now but after reading this I fear for my salvation. Please help me. I really need to know what this verse means.

ANSWER: Hebrews 6:4-6 is a difficult and troubling portion to many sincere searchers for truth. Many have been like you and have been scared by these verses. I think we all know that the Lord does not want us to be afraid. In fact, we read in 1 John 4:18, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear…” When we fix our eyes on the Lord’s perfect love, and learn His precious truths, our fear is driven away.

Let’s read Hebrews 6:4-6, “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”

This portion warns us against apostasy. It describes a people who cannot be renewed again unto repentance. Just what sort of people are capable of falling away where there is no hope of recovery? Let’s look carefully of the words in this portion. Let’s see what it says, and what it does not say. This portion addresses those who were ‘enlightened’, have ‘tasted of the heavenly gift’, and were ‘made partakers of the Holy Ghost.’ Not once do we read the words, ‘forgiven’, ‘made righteous’, ‘redeemed’, or ‘saved’. This warning is for those who have been enlightened by the Word of God; they have tasted of Christ, but had not received Him; they were made partakers of the Holy Ghost by His work in their hearts to bring them to Christ. After all this, they rejected the Lord. Once they had rejected Christ, they found there was no other way of salvation. These people had absolutely been exposed to the blessings of the believer on the Lord Jesus, and had rejected Him. I’m reminded of the words of some rejecters in the parable in Luke 19. In verse 14, we have their words, “We will not have this man to reign over us.” When there is an absolute rejection of and hatred for the Lord Jesus, there remains no room for repentance that leads to Godly sorrow and faith in the Lord Jesus. This is apostasy.

Could this happen to a true believer on the Lord Jesus? Is it possible that a true Christian could experience this absolute rejection of the Lord? Let’s consider the words of Hebrews 6:9-10, “But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak. For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.” The word ‘persuaded’, actually means to be convinced. The writer of this epistle is assuring the true believer that this could not happen to them. The Lord would never forget ‘your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward His name…” The stern warnings found in Hebrews 6:4-6 are aimed at the unbeliever; one who had come so very close to salvation, but in the end, rejected the Lord and turned from Him. To those who are truly saved, we have a precious promise of the Lord in Hebrews 13:5, “…I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
                              Interesting post. I've heard three different interpretations for Hebrews 6:4-6 (hypothetical view, lost salvation view, never truly saved view) but am not convinced that it teaches a really "saved" person actually "lost their salvation." In the portion that addresses those who were ‘enlightened’, have ‘tasted of the heavenly gift’, and were ‘made partakers of the Holy Ghost.’ The writer of Hebrews the writer does not state that these individuals were "indwelled by the Holy Spirit" or "sealed by the Holy Spirit" or "or received the Spirit's pledge (guarantee) of future inheritance." Verse 9 sums it up for me. The writer is speaking to those truly saved (BELOVED). He says that even though he speaks like this concerning THOSE types of people, He is convinced of better things concerning YOU. Things that ACCOMPANY SALVATION. Thorns and briars and falling away do not accompany salvation.
                              Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X